ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2012, 5:24 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, SC, Avis PC, HH Gold, Hyatt DM, SPG Gold
It seems to be fixed as of 6/28. I can now enter 10 destinations, and get the no limit on stops option.

Now to find some decent fares!
Old Jul 1, 2012, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, TSA PreCheck
ITA Matrix price difference with aa.com? S vs O class

In my limited use I've not seen Matrix/ITA price out differently than AA.com that often however looking at a number of flights today from DFW to different European cities I'm seeing aa.com pricing at >10% on the same flights returned on Matrix queries. It looks to me like Matrix is returning BA codeshare flights in O class but aa.com always books those segment into S class. Any insight or workaround for this?

Example: AA is $1,103,80 USB and Matrix shows $868.80 USD

DFW-LHR Nov 9 AA 78 (O class)
LHR-BRU Nov 10 AA 6457 (BA codeshare S class on aa.com and O class on ITA)
BRU-JFK Nov 11 AA 171 (O class)
JFK-DFW Nov 11 AA 2033 (O class)
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:33 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Noticed something similar when checking fares for SFO-MIA. ITA gives amuch lower fare than aa . com
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:52 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 5:09 pm
Old Jul 3, 2012, 11:13 pm
DVT

Programs: BA Bronze
You could try booking it via britishairways.com ?
Old Jul 5, 2012, 11:12 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, Air France Platinum Ulti, AA 4MM EXP, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Pardon my ignorance but what is ITA?
Old Jul 5, 2012, 11:19 am

Programs: All Around Nobody
Originally Posted by thierry
Pardon my ignorance but what is ITA?
http://matrix.itasoftware.com/
Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Honors Gold, National Executive Elite
Finding complicated routings/ITA Software?

Hi folks,

By way of introduction, my goal is to travel from the New Jersey, US to Japan in a way that is most effective cost for me from a business perspective.
I have a number of goals;
  1. I can't leave until at least 9 PM Saturday night
  2. I need to arrive in Japan by early Monday morning
  3. I can't leave Japan until late Thursday night or early Friday morning
  4. I need to be back in the US by early Friday morning
  5. If possible, I would like to travel in premium economy or to have at least some of the outbound segments in business class
  6. I can't have a Saturday night stayover, but I can create one by nesting two trips, that is a four week trip to Japan with a two week trip back home in the middle of it
  7. I need to keep the overall price down to around $3000 per trip
  8. I want to earn US miles if possible

That said, the basic approach how to find the times I want is to take an outbound flight via Europe (LHR, ZRH, FRA) all have flights that work. And the return going HND to the West Coast of the US (LAX, SFO, and SEA would all work), connecting to a red eye back East.

My problem is how do I combine these tickets in different airlines (and potentially even different classes) into a ticket that works.

I did find a routing on ITA that seems to work:
VS 10 -K
VS 900 -K
AA5816 -W (actually operated by JL)
US1492 -A (that's paid first class)

For a total of $3,056

My questions are:
Will these flights actually combine in real life?
I particularly find it strange that on the first flight screen the VS price shows as $4056 and then comes down when I go on to the second flight, something that does not seem to be the case with any other airline.

What other tools do I have to find rules and fares that would allow me to create such a trip?

Any way to predict how long this fare (or similar fares) will last?

I am not asking for itinerary help (though I wouldn't mind it), my main goal is get advice on what websites/tools would help with this kind of trip planning.

Thanks all,
Old Jul 9, 2012, 12:01 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, Air France Platinum Ulti, AA 4MM EXP, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the link
Old Jul 13, 2012, 3:33 pm

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
On the Fly gives different results than ita

Today, I noticed that On theFly and ITA do not display the same results for the same search.

For example:

On the Fly shows flights on Taca when searching WAS to CCS or VLN

ITA does not show the Taca flights.

I have also noticed that ITA does not display pricing correctly. It will display one price on the selection page but then a very different price once the flight is selected.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
How to book a fare I found on ITA

So I was planning on making a very quick trip to Atlanta to continue my quest of seeing every MLB stadium in America.

I decided that 8/2-8/4 would be a perfect trip. For $380 I can fly SBP-LAX-ORD-ATL and then back via ATL-IAH-LAX-SBP.

This can be easily booked through United. I decided to check ITA and see if I could get some extra miles on the return segment since I'm in no hurry and found a return of ATL-IAD-LAX-SBP which will net me about 500 extra miles for the exact same price.

Unfortunately, I can't book it for this price anywhere I search. On United I can book the entire trip for that price with that return I want but only if I depart very early in the morning - it doesn't even list my red eye departure for any price. I need a flight that leaves SBP after 5:00 PM and would like to arrive in Atlanta as early as possible since I'm only there a day. If I play around some more I can get the trip as I want but the price goes way higher.

Any ideas?
Old Jul 14, 2012, 9:27 pm

You should be able to book it on an OTA pretty easily. I'm seeing availability on Orbitz with only 2 tickets left at the $380 (well, $382) price. Better jump on it!

Originally Posted by catbox9
So I was planning on making a very quick trip to Atlanta to continue my quest of seeing every MLB stadium in America.

I decided that 8/2-8/4 would be a perfect trip. For $380 I can fly SBP-LAX-ORD-ATL and then back via ATL-IAH-LAX-SBP.

This can be easily booked through United. I decided to check ITA and see if I could get some extra miles on the return segment since I'm in no hurry and found a return of ATL-IAD-LAX-SBP which will net me about 500 extra miles for the exact same price.

Unfortunately, I can't book it for this price anywhere I search. On United I can book the entire trip for that price with that return I want but only if I depart very early in the morning - it doesn't even list my red eye departure for any price. I need a flight that leaves SBP after 5:00 PM and would like to arrive in Atlanta as early as possible since I'm only there a day. If I play around some more I can get the trip as I want but the price goes way higher.

Any ideas?
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Managed to book it. Thanks!
Old Jul 15, 2012, 7:44 am

So ITA is the best place to find fares?

Last edited by EZETravel; Jul 15, 2012 at 7:45 am Reason: bad typing
Old Jul 15, 2012, 8:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Honors Gold, National Executive Elite
I still can't find a ticket I found on ITA (reported a few threads back, it was a combination of VS, AA, and US in PE) on Orbitz. It there a trick to it that I am missing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.