Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

New! Bose QuietComfort 15 (replaces QuietComfort 2)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New! Bose QuietComfort 15 (replaces QuietComfort 2)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2011, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by c.l.i.a
How to tell it is an older one or newer one?
gold vs. silver outer ring on the outside of the cups. Silver is the newer one, I think.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 6:04 am

Where do you guys sell your old headsets?

I somewhere earlier on this thread (or maybe another thread) that you can get a better deal if you resold the headphones (like on eBay or something) rather than going with the upgrade that they offer.

Well I just found out that eBay basically charges a 10% commission on every sale. Does anyone who's sold their headphones know of any other way to sell without having to deal with that 10% commission? I somehow ended up with 2 QC15's (one as a gift) but I'm tired of how sweaty my ears get so I want to get the QC3's.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 6:38 pm

You can look on sites like Bonanza although they don't have many anti-fraud systems. How much are you looking for them? There might be someone on these forums looking to buy a pair of Bose headphones.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 7:19 pm

Hey thanks for your response. Thanks I'll check out that website. I wasn't sure if there was a classifieds section in the Technology forum here or anything, but I couldn't find it. Sorry I am a long time lurker on flyer talk but a new poster. Anyways, I was thinking of unloading a pair for around $200 or more, since I think that's what I would get credit for. But I'm only looking to upgrade one of them to the QC 3's, so my other pair I'd just want to sell for a reasonable price. I'm pretty sure I have most of if not all of the accessories, if anyone needs a pair haha.

Do you any of you longtime noise canceling headset users just get tired of using these on flights haha? I'm kind of at the point where I"m just tired of my ears getting warm and sweaty and carrying the giant case around with me when I travel. Hopefully the QC3's will be a little bit more portable/compact and will eliminate the whole sweaty ears thing.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 7:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold,, Marriott Plat
Not any more hassle than QC2 to carry around but I get less wet ears from QC-15's
Old Feb 18, 2012, 7:46 pm

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
Originally Posted by Nomadz
not any more. It's not because Bose don't make great noise cancelling headphones... they do. It's just that I find noise cancelling to be total overkill for most applications.

A good pair of in-ears, fitted well to your ears, will block most sound and give you better audio fidelity for the price. They don't need batteries and they are more portable.
hmmm clearly you don't fly enough then! :-)
Old Feb 18, 2012, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by c.l.i.a
Does anyone know if the trade-up program still alive now? I have been using a QC2 for years but just tried a QC15 loaned from a family friend. Just returned from the trip with Qc15. I want to upgrade my QC2 to QC15.
Yes, though I don't know if you can take advantage just because you want to (vs. product malfunction). My much-used QC2s malfunctioned while I was on the road a couple of weeks ago. Trebles and bright tones sounded fine, but everything else was murky and syrupy and underwater-sounding. I rang Bose and arranged the upgrade/trade-in with no hassle at all. Charge was $99 + $10 tax + $7.50 shipping, or $116. Considering the use I got from the QC2s before they crapped out I thought this was pretty fair. The 15s are a little lighter and more comfortable and have a hi-lo switch on the cable, but otherwise similar.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 3:27 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by BearX220
The 15s are a little lighter and more comfortable and have a hi-lo switch on the cable, but otherwise similar.
My QC-15s bought a year or two ago do not have this switch on the cable - maybe one can purchase this new version separately?
Old Feb 19, 2012, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by h15t0r1an
hmmm clearly you don't fly enough then! :-)
Note that the previous poster said "a good pair of in-ears, fitted well to your ears." He's not talking about the cheap earbuds that come with iPods.

As the owner of both a pair of Shure SE535 in-ear earphones and Bose QC15s, I'd take the Shures for noise blocking (in or out of the air) and audio quality any day of the week.

The only thing the QC15s have going for them is the price (a third the cost of the Shures) and the convenience of putting them on and taking them off (the Shures are a little convoluted to unravel and then carefully insert them into the ear canals).
Old Feb 19, 2012, 7:33 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
new cable

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
My QC-15s bought a year or two ago do not have this switch on the cable - maybe one can purchase this new version separately?

Qc15 from about 1+ year ago, have the hi-lo switch in the end of the cable, the end that plugs into the headphones. The new cable has the same SWITCH on the end, but also has a volume rocker and microphone in the top portion of the cable for use when making cell phone calls with the headset. I'm not sure if the two can be switched out or not.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by jackal
The only thing the QC15s have going for them is the price (a third the cost of the Shures)...
I did a double-take when I read that, because I cannot imagine explaining to my wife why a $900 set of headphones is necessary for my travel. But in fact the Shure 535CL can be had on Amazon for $540 versus the QC15 @ $300... a little more than half the price of the Shures, not one-third.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by nmenaker
Qc15 from about 1+ year ago, have the hi-lo switch in the end of the cable, the end that plugs into the headphones. The new cable has the same SWITCH on the end, but also has a volume rocker and microphone in the top portion of the cable for use when making cell phone calls with the headset. I'm not sure if the two can be switched out or not.
BOSE sell the new cable as an accessory for QC15s and you can swap - I certainly have.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Note that the previous poster said "a good pair of in-ears, fitted well to your ears." He's not talking about the cheap earbuds that come with iPods.

As the owner of both a pair of Shure SE535 in-ear earphones and Bose QC15s, I'd take the Shures for noise blocking (in or out of the air) and audio quality any day of the week.

The only thing the QC15s have going for them is the price (a third the cost of the Shures) and the convenience of putting them on and taking them off (the Shures are a little convoluted to unravel and then carefully insert them into the ear canals).
My Ety's in ear are better sound quality than my QC-15's. I don't find in-ear comfortable on a plane though, fine everywhere else.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by BearX220
I did a double-take when I read that, because I cannot imagine explaining to my wife why a $900 set of headphones is necessary for my travel. But in fact the Shure 535CL can be had on Amazon for $540 versus the QC15 @ $300... a little more than half the price of the Shures, not one-third.
Sorry, I misremembered the price of the QC15s. Thought they were $150ish.

Originally Posted by stueys
My Ety's in ear are better sound quality than my QC-15's. I don't find in-ear comfortable on a plane though, fine everywhere else.
I actually find in-ears more comfortable on a plane, as most planes these days have headrest wings, and leaning against a headrest wing with an on-the-ear headphone is not very comfortable (and with the Bose, it can trigger feedback or at least affect the noise-reduction quality). In-ears with a good sleeve are very comfortable even when leaning against something.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
I actually find in-ears more comfortable on a plane, as most planes these days have headrest wings, and leaning against a headrest wing with an on-the-ear headphone is not very comfortable (and with the Bose, it can trigger feedback or at least affect the noise-reduction quality). In-ears with a good sleeve are very comfortable even when leaning against something.
While I'm still an over-the-ear fan with our QC-15s (and I've only tried cheap in-ear products so can't compare), you remind me of the time I cracked a pair while sleeping too hard on them during a TATL flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.