Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

New! Bose QuietComfort 15 (replaces QuietComfort 2)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2009, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD

From Newsweek.com:
Bose debuts QuietComfort 15 noise-canceling headphones
Posted by: Sean O'Neill, Wednesday, Aug 19, 2009, 11:26 AM

Tomorrow (Thursday), Bose puts on sale its new QuietComfort 15 noise-canceling headphones, which aim to be the "gold standard" of such devices. The price is $300.

The new device replaces one of the company's previous high-end models, the QuietComfort 2. It adds an external microphone to each ear cup, providing additional information to help cancel out more noise. It also improves upon the device's processing power as well as the design of the leather-and-foam ear cushions.

I tested the QC15s this morning under the supervision of Bose staff people. Stereos blasted a recording of a jet plane mid-flight. A sound pressure level meter measured a 90 decibel reading, well above an approximately 50 decibel reading for the ordinary noise level in a city store. I found that the QC15 headphones dramatically reduced the sound of the jet plane noise, noticeably more so than with the previous version of Bose headphones, the QC2.

Audio quality and headset comfort are what distinguish Bose's products from comparable high-end products. In a test of the QC15, sound reproduction of a song was note perfect, and the earcups rested gently around the ears rather than push down on the ears itself. The headphones are iPhone-compatible out of the box and are powered by triple-A batteries tucked discreetly into one of the earcups.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 6:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Sounds like two big advances over the QC3s, over the ear and AAAs rather than a proprietary rechargeable battery. Ill believe the sound is as good as an $80 pair of Etymotic or such when I hear them.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 7:47 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The reviews of them I've seen have either all been written by the same people, or everybody thinks they are fabulous.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 6:27 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Now... if only they had an exchange/upgrade program.....
Old Aug 20, 2009, 8:19 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It may be worth a call once they are out, they usually have some type of deal $100 off from the latest product line, etc.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 10:22 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
they have also had the QC1 to Qc2 program for 100$
Old Aug 20, 2009, 11:51 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
The last time I contacted them.... probably 3 months ago... I got an email back telling me they had no such "trade up" programs
Old Aug 20, 2009, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
In a test of the QC15, sound reproduction of a song was note perfect,
WTH does that mean? An A# in a .wav file came out as an A# through the headphones?

I'm always open to try something new, so I'll give them a listen.

Audio quality ... distinguish Bose's products from comparable high-end products.
Very true - I've always preferred cheaper Ety, Shure, or Sennhsiser 'phones over "no highs no lows must be a.." Bose.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 8:44 pm

Well I'm going to go buy them tomorrow and try it out on my flight Monday. Used QC2 are going for over $150 on eBay, so net cost is not that much.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
Originally Posted by Tummy
Well I'm going to go buy them tomorrow and try it out on my flight Monday. Used QC2 are going for over $150 on eBay, so net cost is not that much.
Please let us know what you think of the QC15. I'm also thinking of trading up by selling my QC2 on eBay.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 10:06 am

Programs: AA EXP
Anyone got them to exchange these for QC2's? I know they used to do this for QC3's.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Have they finally gotten rid of the artificial bass boost that makes people think they sound great - as long as those people don't know what the original music really sounds like? I did a head-to-head between Bose QC2s and another brand with a flat reproduction curve a couple of years ago. The Boses sounded fine if you're looking for "impact," whatever that is, but the bass was way too heavy.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP
No go on the exchange for QC15. They are offering upgrade to QC3 for $150 for QC2 or exchange for a new pair of QC2 for $90. Anyone know how long it took before they started offering upgrades for QC3's after they came out?
Old Aug 21, 2009, 2:11 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Silver
It looks as if these are only available in the States as the UK site does not even mention them. Bought the ex hubby some a couple of years ago and he loves them. Guess he will have to decide whether to upgrade when they release them over here.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 7:37 pm

I got mine. I'm not an audiophile, but the noise canceling is much better and the base sounds slightly less exaggerated.

The sales people couldn't articulate why or how much of an improvement I could expect. All they knew is that it has two microphones, one on each cup and improved isolation.

I tested by sitting next to a window air conditioner. With my old QC2, you can still hear it, but the sound was reduced. With the QC15, it totally cancels those sounds, like magic. I'll try it on an actual flight Monday morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.