Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

New! Bose QuietComfort 15 (replaces QuietComfort 2)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New! Bose QuietComfort 15 (replaces QuietComfort 2)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2009, 9:59 am

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Anyone know if the QC2s you are trading in have to actually work?
Unfortunately I didn't ask about trade-in/repairs at the DEN kiosk when I was there yesterday, but I called Bose this am and was told that they can't sell me parts to fix my QC2s (cracked earcup swivels) and can't repair them either. For $89 (and return of my QC2s) they'll send me another pair of QC2s or for $150 a pair of QC15s.

Sigh. I hate to drop $150 to fix two pieces of broken plastic - which I cannot for the life of me figure out how they broke in the first place.

Richard
Old Sep 18, 2009, 10:45 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by rsolomon
Sigh. I hate to drop $150 to fix two pieces of broken plastic - which I cannot for the life of me figure out how they broke in the first place.
A well known design fault of the original QC2's. They *will* break at some time, just a matter of time.

Bose (UK) replaced mine when they broke, even though they were well out of warranty.

The design fault was rectified, so new QC2's will be OK.

Cheers,
Rick
Old Sep 18, 2009, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
A well known design fault of the original QC2's. They *will* break at some time, just a matter of time.

Bose (UK) replaced mine when they broke, even though they were well out of warranty.

The design fault was rectified, so new QC2's will be OK.

Cheers,
Rick
Any idea when the change happened? The Bose US guy asked for my serial number before giving me options - perhaps I should push harder on getting the repair comp'ed? I assumed that for a known issue they would have offered, but we all know about assumptions....

Thanks!
Richard
Old Sep 18, 2009, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2mm SPG Gold HH Diamond
Any idea when the change happened? The Bose US guy asked for my serial number before giving me options - perhaps I should push harder on getting the repair comp'ed? I assumed that for a known issue they would have offered, but we all know about assumptions....

Thanks!
Richard
The old ones with the problem are a champagne color. The revised version are silver. They also fixed problems when they get close to a cell phone. If a recall I think the change was around 3 years ago.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by sharklover
The old ones with the problem are a champagne color. The revised version are silver. They also fixed problems when they get close to a cell phone. If a recall I think the change was around 3 years ago.
Hmmm, mine are the silver and they still broke without provocation

Richard
Old Sep 18, 2009, 3:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Originally Posted by sharklover
Hmmm, mine are the silver and they still broke without provocation

Richard
That doesn't sound good...

How long did you have them for? Are you a heavy user/abuser ?

Cool that they still offered a trade up... Despite not being in mint condition...

Also, how does the trade in work exactly, do we mail them back and once Bose gets them, they mail the QC15's? Or does Bose mail a box to ship them back free? And who pays for the QC15's shipping?

Thanks
Old Sep 18, 2009, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

That doesn't sound good...
How long did you have them for? Are you a heavy user/abuser ?
Nope, most of my gear is indistinguishable from new - I take very good care of stuff, thus the "without provocation" comment These are ~3yrs old if memory serves.

What was presented to me were "repair" options - though the term is a misnomer because they claim not to actually repair headphones. I will probably pop for the "upgrade" vs the "straight replace" but not terribly happily. I'll post more details when I do - it was definitely a "send us your 'phones and we'll ship the replacements upon receipt" thing though.

Richard
Old Sep 20, 2009, 3:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Nope, most of my gear is indistinguishable from new - I take very good care of stuff, thus the "without provocation" comment These are ~3yrs old if memory serves.

What was presented to me were "repair" options - though the term is a misnomer because they claim not to actually repair headphones. I will probably pop for the "upgrade" vs the "straight replace" but not terribly happily. I'll post more details when I do - it was definitely a "send us your 'phones and we'll ship the replacements upon receipt" thing though.

Richard
Thanks for the info, and yes, I look foreword to the follow up (Next trip sadly is not until the end of November so I am in no rush...)
Old Sep 20, 2009, 9:21 am

I originally bought the QC2 (my review here)and really liked it but was curious about the better noise canceling of the QC15 so swapped it for it. But I found that the it wasn't as comfortable for me. Only minutes after wearing it, the ear cups seem to push too hard on the side of my head and I can feel it. The noise canceling seem to be much better. But, also, when I've got the window open and driving the car, I can hear the wind ruffling as someone has mentioned in a previous thread.

If it weren't for the discomfort (I wore the QC2 for hours without feeling the discomfort), I would have kept it. Now I'm going to contact the Bose store to make sure they still have the QC2 so that I can swap it back and get the difference refunded.

That's just my opinion.

Last edited by maceyr; Oct 1, 2009 at 11:58 am
Old Sep 20, 2009, 3:06 pm

Instead of talks about upgrade policies, colors and experiences with previous models, how about some talk about the actual sound and NC quality of the new model????

Till
Old Sep 20, 2009, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA LifetimeGold, WN A-ListPreferred, B6 Mosaic, ChoicePrivileges Diamond, BestWestern Diamond Select
Originally Posted by tfar
Instead of talks about upgrade policies, colors and experiences with previous models, how about some talk about the actual sound and NC quality of the new model????

Till
Just picked up a pair last night. $150 with my champagne QC2s. (It would have been only $125 with silver QC2s.) In the store, they eliminated a lot more ambient sound than my QC2s. And the sound with a jazz recording they had was quite good, a little better than the QC2s, I think. Tomorrow I'll fly with them and report back with more info.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by tfar

Till
I think the general consensus is that they sound "better" and the noise canceling is "twice" as much.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 8:17 am

Programs: AA EXP
I used to own a QC2 and have moved a few years ago to a top of the line Shure. good noise Isolation is going to beat good noise reduction any day. Compare your QC2/15 to your 3M ear plugs and see.

Of course major benefit of a not having to lug around those monster headphones, no batteries and this is a big one for me: I can sleep head on the side.

I do have a certain background in the physics of acoustics (but rusty)
Old Sep 21, 2009, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2mm SPG Gold HH Diamond
Originally Posted by maceyr
I originally bought the QC2 and really liked it but was curious about the better noise canceling of the QC15 so swapped it for it. But I found that the it wasn't as comfortable for me. Only minutes after wearing it, the ear cups seem to push too hard on the side of my head and I can feel it. The noise canceling seem to be much better. But, also, when I've got the window open and driving the car, I can hear the wind ruffling as someone has mentioned in a previous thread.

If it weren't for the discomfort (I wore the QC2 for hours without feeling the discomfort), I would have kept it. Now I'm going to contact the Bose store to make sure they still have the QC2 so that I can swap it back and get the difference refunded.

That's just my opinion.
This is the first I have of this. I am getting a pair this week. I will report back. Some reviews on Amazon make them seem incredible.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 7:53 am

Programs: AA LifetimeGold, WN A-ListPreferred, B6 Mosaic, ChoicePrivileges Diamond, BestWestern Diamond Select
Originally Posted by Drummer
Just picked up a pair last night. $150 with my champagne QC2s. (It would have been only $125 with silver QC2s.) In the store, they eliminated a lot more ambient sound than my QC2s. And the sound with a jazz recording they had was quite good, a little better than the QC2s, I think. Tomorrow I'll fly with them and report back with more info.
Have now flown with them. The noise cancelling is definitely better than with the QC2, and ambient noise reduction is better too. (They seem to fit around the ear more securely, yet I still found them just as comfortable as QC2.) I haven't used them for music on a plane yet. Will probably do so Thursday and report again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.