Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

New! Bose QuietComfort 15 (replaces QuietComfort 2)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New! Bose QuietComfort 15 (replaces QuietComfort 2)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2009, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
So I've had the QC2's for over 2 years, and I went to Bay Bloor Radio to try it out. They had the Jet Engine test and the Train test. I brought my QC2's to compare.

Having read the reviews, I was ready to buy and was all pumped up.

I was not amazed at all - it's maybe "marginally" a tad bit better, but you'd never know. The best way to think about the difference is that the ambient sounds in the QC 15's are slightly farther away than those in the QC 2's...but not by much. Sound quality is similar as well...

The manager at that location works for Bose Corporate, and there is a rumor in the fall that there will be a trade-up program.

Take that with a grain of salt.

If I had no 2's, I'd go for the 15's, but I can't justify buying a 15 with the 2's already....

Last edited by superangrypenguin; Aug 28, 2009 at 7:41 pm
Old Aug 28, 2009, 7:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Originally Posted by vliou
So I've had the QC2's for over 2 years, and I went to Bay Bloor Radio to try it out. They had the Jet Engine test and the Train test. I brought my QC2's to compare.

Having read the reviews, I was ready to buy and was all pumped up.

I was not amazed at all - it's maybe "marginally" a tad bit better, but you'd never know. The best way to think about the difference is that the ambient sounds you hear in the QC2's are SLIGHTLY farther away...but not by much. Sound quality is similar as well...

The manager at that location works for Bose Corporate, and there is a rumor in the fall that there will be a trade-up program.

Take that with a grain of salt.

If I had no 2's, I'd go for the 15's, but I can't justify buying a 15 with the 2's already....
Especially with a slower economy...

Call it clunker headphones trade up...
Old Aug 29, 2009, 10:34 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Delta Gold, HH Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
I just tried a pair at the Denver airport a few days ago and was impressed, though I would prefer to do a real world trial rather than the Bose setup at the airport with is obviously optimized for those headsets. They did offer a trade in for my QC2s - $150 to upgrade to the QC15. Perhaps this is only offered at the Bose retail stores?
Old Aug 29, 2009, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
Originally Posted by worldtraveller76
They did offer a trade in for my QC2s - $150 to upgrade to the QC15. Perhaps this is only offered at the Bose retail stores?
Really!!! That is good to know. Now I just have to decide if Mrs. SGJazz is going to inherit my QC2's or not. Decisions, decisions.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
I just tried a pair at the Denver airport a few days ago and was impressed, though I would prefer to do a real world trial rather than the Bose setup at the airport with is obviously optimized for those headsets. They did offer a trade in for my QC2s - $150 to upgrade to the QC15. Perhaps this is only offered at the Bose retail stores?
Well, looks like I may have to take that offer.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 2:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Hmm... tempting...

Is it worth $150 though, or would I be better off giving my set to someone else? (I have put close to 150K on them BIS if I had to guess... not to mention using them in dorms & @ home)

How much does Bose typically charge to change out the ear pads (mine are starting to wear quite a bit)
Old Aug 30, 2009, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA LifetimeGold, WN A-ListPreferred, B6 Mosaic, ChoicePrivileges Diamond, BestWestern Diamond Select
Originally Posted by beckoa
How much does Bose typically charge to change out the ear pads (mine are starting to wear quite a bit)
$35, according to their web site:
http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/...ccessories.jsp
Old Aug 30, 2009, 7:48 pm

In-ear headphones are so much better

I find it hard to understand why people keep buying the Bose headphones, when the in-ear headphones are so much better, in pretty much every dimension -- in sound blocking effectiveness, sound quality, and in portability. I'm thinking of the Etymotics ER4P, but these days there are dozens of in-ear canalphones that are excellent (Ety, Shure, Ultimate Ears, etc.).
Old Aug 30, 2009, 10:57 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Originally Posted by daw617
I find it hard to understand why people keep buying the Bose headphones, when the in-ear headphones are so much better, in pretty much every dimension -- in sound blocking effectiveness, sound quality, and in portability. I'm thinking of the Etymotics ER4P, but these days there are dozens of in-ear canalphones that are excellent (Ety, Shure, Ultimate Ears, etc.).
Because we do not like things sticking in our ears. Such things are uncomfortable. In addition, unless they are precisely positioned deep in the ear they are ineffective in blocking noise.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 11:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Paint Horse
Because we do not like things sticking in our ears. Such things are uncomfortable. In addition, unless they are precisely positioned deep in the ear they are ineffective in blocking noise.
I concur.

I carry a pair of the Apple in-ear headphones I got with my iPhone where ever I go just in case I need to listen to something, I figure they take up so little space who cares. Though when I am traveling I throw my QC-2s into the bag. Sure they are significantly larger though I find them much more comfortable and I don't have to worry about them falling out every time I turn my head.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 5:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Paint Horse
Good summary. I actually use both depending on my mood, and whether my ears are bothering me.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 7:04 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I use both types as well, but as others posters have said, I don't prefer to have something down into my ear canal. NC earphones I think are much better on things like aircraft, the in-ear ones are MUCH better for something like riding the L in Chicago, where the NC phones are less effective.

As for comfort, I can't take more than about 1 hour with the in ear phones, whereas I have easily worn even my NC1's on 16 hour flights to Asia.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 8:20 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by daw617
Or, absent a need to listen to music, etc., foam earplugs. They are more effective than all but the most expensive in-the-canal earphones, and cost about 0.01 times as much.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
Yet another review from NYT blogger.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 7:29 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Drummer
$35? Christ... I read this just as I was getting ready to send them an email with photos of my worn-out ear covers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.