Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

New! Bose QuietComfort 15 (replaces QuietComfort 2)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New! Bose QuietComfort 15 (replaces QuietComfort 2)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2009, 7:39 pm

New (very) frequent traveller. Just got the Bose QC 15 from my darling husband for my anniversary. Hung my head out the window - no traffic noise at all from busy road. Off on a trip next weekend, will report back.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 10:02 am

huge improvement over QC3 in noise reduction and comfort

I just arrived in DXB from IAD on UA in E+ on a 777. The QC15's are a significant improvement in reducing noise and much more comfortable than the QC3 (which I was able to return since I had them less than month when the QC 15s came out). They even fit in their case better. They also have a hi-low switch to lower the volume, which is really helpful in an airplane since they always seem to have the volume calibrated too high for me.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 1:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by hjmanasa
I just arrived in DXB from IAD on UA in E+ on a 777. The QC15's are a significant improvement in reducing noise and much more comfortable than the QC3 (which I was able to return since I had them less than month when the QC 15s came out). They even fit in their case better. They also have a hi-low switch to lower the volume, which is really helpful in an airplane since they always seem to have the volume calibrated too high for me.
Hi/low switch was always a feature of the QC2's and is nice, especially when sharing an audio source with someone else who does not have noise canceling headphones. Also good to hear that its a significant improvement over the QC3's although I wonder how much of that is passive vs. active noise canceling...
Old Sep 25, 2009, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA LifetimeGold, WN A-ListPreferred, B6 Mosaic, ChoicePrivileges Diamond, BestWestern Diamond Select
Originally Posted by Drummer
Have now flown with them. The noise cancelling is definitely better than with the QC2, and ambient noise reduction is better too. (They seem to fit around the ear more securely, yet I still found them just as comfortable as QC2.) I haven't used them for music on a plane yet. Will probably do so Thursday and report again.
Noise cancellation continues to impress me. And the sound quality seems to me somewhat better than QC2. I listened to some classical and some Scottish dance music. Lows were noticeable but not drastically over emphasized. Highs were pretty clear. All in all, the upgrade was a good investment for me.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 10:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
hmm, maybe i'll bite when QC16's come out (i'm just guessing that's what the qc3 replacement will be called). I'm sure the QC15's are just awesome but the small compact size of the QC3 is a dealbreaker for me. I like small gadgets and the QC3's small compact size is my favorite feature of it. Now if only we could have a QC version of the bose earbuds.

btw, this is perplexing to me:

Bose can bring out a great new QC15 headset and pack all that punch into the size of a QC3, and even add a mic/button on the new in-ear mobile headset,

so why is it that Bose after all these years is still NOT capable of producing a mobile phone adapter for the QC3/QC2/QC15 that features an answer/call button in addition to the microphone?

it's like the fact that we can send a man to the moon but still can't solve the problem of early season football games played on the baseball infields (i'm looking at you, dolphin stadium and oakland coliseum...)
Old Sep 26, 2009, 3:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Mail

Bose must have my address from my original QC2 purchase... as I am now being snail mailed brochures on the QC15's... even more tempting...

Now if they had sent me a postage paid box to send my preexisting set back in... ^^^
Old Sep 27, 2009, 7:22 am

I got one of the new Nokia BH-905 BT headphones yesterday. I haven't flown yet but the sound reduction in the car seems pretty good. I'll try a side by side with the QC3s next week.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by garethmorgan
I got one of the new Nokia BH-905 BT headphones yesterday. I haven't flown yet but the sound reduction in the car seems pretty good. I'll try a side by side with the QC3s next week.
Where did u get them, since nobody I can find is currently selling them, most say "coming soon" still.

Last edited by nmenaker; Sep 27, 2009 at 2:10 pm
Old Sep 27, 2009, 12:33 pm

Trade-in program

The definitive word from both Bose 800 sales and a local Bose store is that the only trade-in they offer for QC2-to-QC15 is if your QC2 is broken...as in does not function or has a broken headband, etc. If you ship it in and it does work, they will return it, apparently. So Ebay or Craigslist are the best re-sale options for those with working units, at around $150 more or less if in top condition with all accessories.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2mm SPG Gold HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bostonpaper
The definitive word from both Bose 800 sales and a local Bose store is that the only trade-in they offer for QC2-to-QC15 is if your QC2 is broken...as in does not function or has a broken headband, etc. If you ship it in and it does work, they will return it, apparently. So Ebay or Craigslist are the best re-sale options for those with working units, at around $150 more or less if in top condition with all accessories.
Take them to a store and tell them they are not working properly. They do not check them at a store.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2mm SPG Gold HH Diamond
I got my QC 15's and have been using them at home not n th eplane yet. I have owned QC1, QC2 V1 & 2 and now QC15's. I have also used QC3's many times flying. Here are my first impressions between QC2 and QC15:
Noise cancelation is definetely a fair amount better.
Sound quality may be slightly better.
QC15's are designed slightly different so they actually are wider on your face. The probably allows them to squeeze you ears a little more.
The only real negative with the QC15 is that they cause my ears to sweet while the QC2's did not. This is probably caused by the new material they have used. I am looking forward to trying them on my next flight.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA LifetimeGold, WN A-ListPreferred, B6 Mosaic, ChoicePrivileges Diamond, BestWestern Diamond Select
Definitely not my experience. I took my (perfectly functioning) QC2s to my local Bose store (Burlington, MA) and said I wanted to trade them in. They neither asked if they were working properly nor tested them. They just took them gave me the QC15s and charged me $150.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 9:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Definitely not my experience. I took my (perfectly functioning) QC2s to my local Bose store (Burlington, MA) and said I wanted to trade them in. They neither asked if they were working properly nor tested them. They just took them gave me the QC15s and charged me $150.
as for the paid trade-up program, usually they don't care if the headphones are working or not. When I traded in my old QC2's a few months ago for a new set of QC2's, I asked them what they do with the old headset. The store manager said mostly use the old set for spare parts. This way, if it's working or broken, doesn't really matter if you're stripping it for spare parts...
Old Sep 27, 2009, 9:22 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Thanks for the heads up for working/not...

Mine are wearing down, but operational so will try the store option- issue is nearest one is in SEA, don't even have a trip scheduled there yet, so it may be quite a few months until I make it by- thanks for the comparisons.

It was said they squeeze your head harder... Are they any bigger (band wise) then the previous generation? Yes, I have a big head
Old Sep 28, 2009, 3:16 am

Programs: AA Plat
Case sizes

I don't expect to be near a Bose store any time soon, so I will ask you instead:

How does the size of the carrying case of the QC15 compare to the QC3? The QC3 case just barely fits in my laptop bag along with everything else there.

Also, those of you have made the switch from the QC3 to the QC15: have you found the improvement in passive and active noise cancelation sufficiently dramatic to justify dealing with the larger earcups?

Last edited by tacommuter; Sep 28, 2009 at 1:18 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.