FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   [archived] Favorite iPhone/iPad applications (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/848219-archived-favorite-iphone-ipad-applications.html)

RoninTech Nov 30, 2010 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Lincoln (Post 15330058)
I just published a post today listing some of the better apps I've found for traveling that can be used on the iPhone, iPod and sometimes the iPad.

Hi Lincoln,

Here's a great free one for your list:

ita Software's OnTheFly

http://www.itasoftware.com/images/pr...hone_Mapsm.jpg

Lincoln Nov 30, 2010 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by RoninTech (Post 15348608)
Hi Lincoln,

Here's a great free one for your list:

ita Software's OnTheFly

Nice, that looks like a good one too, reminds me of Hipmunk in a way. I'll add it to my list when I get a chance.

RhoadWarrior Dec 1, 2010 11:47 pm

Display orientation lock

Originally Posted by aster (Post 15289120)
They could have at least left a choice for those who got used to the screen lock. Why is there a need for a mute switch if you hold the volume down button for 1 sec and it automatically goes to mute anyway?

If you press the home button twice and slide the apps to the right isn't there an orientation button at the far left? This is how the iPhone works.

potfish Dec 2, 2010 12:09 am

Originally Posted by RhoadWarrior (Post 15364167)
If you press the home button twice and slide the apps to the right isn't there an orientation button at the far left? This is how the iPhone works.

Holy crap, never saw that before!

GadgetFreak Dec 2, 2010 1:52 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by potfish

Holy crap, never saw that before!

That's why I said I didn't mind with the software switch ;)

lougord99 Dec 2, 2010 5:28 pm

WOW!! I never knew that was on the iphone. Now I don't have to turn my head sideways to read the PDF file I receive everyday in landscape.

jackal Dec 2, 2010 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99 (Post 15369864)
WOW!! I never knew that was on the iphone. Now I don't have to turn my head sideways to read the PDF file I receive everyday in landscape.

It's nice, too, for reading while laying down in bed or on the couch.

lemerou Dec 3, 2010 1:18 am

Can anyone explain again where this orientation button is ?
I cant find it ? :confused:

jackal Dec 3, 2010 3:22 am

Originally Posted by lemerou (Post 15372039)

With the phone unlocked and looking at the screen, press the home button twice in rapid succession. Then, slide the bar at the bottom of the screen to the right (i.e. looking towards the left). The left-most button will have a circular arrow inside of it, either with a padlock if the orientation is locked or without a padlock if it is unlocked.

GadgetFreak Dec 3, 2010 3:22 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by lemerou

Double press (quickly) the home button at and a bar appears with current programs. Swipe that to the right and another bar appears which has several things on it one of which is the lock.

wco81 Dec 3, 2010 7:14 am

It must be for only 3G and 4, which has the multitasking bar.

On older models, double tapping the home button brings the search screen.

GadgetFreak Dec 3, 2010 7:51 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by wco81
It must be for only 3G and 4, which has the multitasking bar.

On older models, double tapping the home button brings the search screen.

OS 4.2 and above. But on the previous versions the button on the side still locks the screen. We are talking mainly iPad here, not iPhone.

yosithezet Dec 3, 2010 8:37 am

Originally Posted by bigandtall (Post 15373014)
world war..
rhino ball
cannon challenge..
all are free !

Welcome to FlyerTalk bigandtall!

wco81 Dec 3, 2010 9:44 am

Any good multiplayer Gamecenter games yet?

Wish Words with Friends would convert to GC and keep track of your games.

Cholula Dec 3, 2010 9:56 am

Originally Posted by wco81 (Post 15374046)
Wish Words with Friends would convert to GC and keep track of your games.

Zynga, of Farmville fame, bought the Words for Friends company Newtoy yesterday. Newtoy's new corporate name will now be Zynga With Friends.

So maybe we'll see Words With Friends now joining the GC platform.