Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

My Adventures with Toggle Mobile (Mostly Good)

My Adventures with Toggle Mobile (Mostly Good)

Old Jun 25, 17, 12:30 pm
  #271  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London and Zurich
Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Posts: 13,609
Well, there is an improvement for voice calls.

This page - http://www.togglemobile.co.uk/PDFs/uk/Roaming-UK.pdf - shows rates for intra-Europe calls, texts and data.

But 3p/minute to call landlines and mobiles in 31 countries is good news for me. In some cases this represents a reduction from 7p or 9p to 3p. (I'm not a mobile data user, so don't know whether 0.15 is good.)

The only problem for me will be to remember to register local numbers. In practice, this isn't many.
Roger is offline  
Old Jun 25, 17, 1:49 pm
  #272  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Menlo Park, CA, USA
Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Posts: 6,506
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Well, there is an improvement for voice calls.

This page - http://www.togglemobile.co.uk/PDFs/uk/Roaming-UK.pdf - shows rates for intra-Europe calls, texts and data.

But 3p/minute to call landlines and mobiles in 31 countries is good news for me. In some cases this represents a reduction from 7p or 9p to 3p. (I'm not a mobile data user, so don't know whether 0.15 is good.)

The only problem for me will be to remember to register local numbers. In practice, this isn't many.
yes calling rates seeem to have equalized which is good although SMS charges are still just silly

data rates are not good they are appalling and repsesnt about 20 TIMES the previous roaming data packages rate. Roughly 200$ PER GIGABYTE which is horrendous.
nmenaker is offline  
Old Jun 25, 17, 3:03 pm
  #273  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LHR/SFO
Programs: 1K (until 2021), *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, Cadbury's Rum and Raisin Emeritus
Posts: 15,934
For me it is the cheapest way to keep a US number still I think. And it makes it easier for UK people to call me when I am in the US. If I was only using it in the EU then I would not bother any longer with it even for a local number.
Silver Fox is online now  
Old Jun 26, 17, 4:18 am
  #274  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London and Zurich
Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Posts: 13,609
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
The only problem for me will be to remember to register local numbers.
I've been thinking things over. For me in most cases, it will be easier to use Three 3-2-1 which does not require registering each time in a different market.
Originally Posted by Silver Fox View Post
For me it is the cheapest way to keep a US number still I think. And it makes it easier for UK people to call me when I am in the US. If I was only using it in the EU then I would not bother any longer with it even for a local number.
You're right. I have permanent US and Swiss numbers with Toggle and will keep both for the time being.
Roger is offline  
Old Jun 27, 17, 8:50 am
  #275  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Menlo Park, CA, USA
Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Posts: 6,506
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
I've been thinking things over. For me in most cases, it will be easier to use Three 3-2-1 which does not require registering each time in a different market.You're right. I have permanent US and Swiss numbers with Toggle and will keep both for the time being.
Agreed, having the numbers permanent or not makes calling (people calling YOU) so easy and cheap it still has a lot of value.. I was just really hoping they would find SOME way of keeping roaming data at a reasonable cost. Not really sure why the introduction of roaming regulations meant they couldn't continue to offer some for of bundle that would span registered mobile number countries.
nmenaker is offline  
Old Nov 28, 19, 3:42 am
  #276  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LHR/SFO
Programs: 1K (until 2021), *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, Cadbury's Rum and Raisin Emeritus
Posts: 15,934
So, Toggle users beware. They have been taken over by the scam artists that are Lycamobile. The option for different numbers and retaining a US number is now defunct. I was just on phone now to try and get my remaining balance refunded (typically I topped up £20 last month) and they are not playing ball. They also used the "I will transfer you to a supervisor" trick and of course it cut off. I have had a detestable experience with Lycamobile in the past and this serves to confirm it. Upon logging into what is now my Lycamobile account I find that "autotopup" has been switched on so if you think you are still with Toggle you may want to check this. Not happy about this in the slightest and currently looking at UK consumer law as there has to be a cooling off period I assume. The only notification I got was a text when I turned the US number/SIM on last week saying welcome to Lycamobile. Their CS phone support is third world crap too.
Silver Fox is online now  
Old Dec 2, 19, 8:21 am
  #277  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Menlo Park, CA, USA
Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Posts: 6,506
Well, based on this I checked out the new website of lycamobile. Not really a good deal at all unless one is going to do monthly in country and they don't really have a solid multi country offering. I still show my balance, and there is a LEAVE LYCA option, not sure if this means a refund is available or not. Anyone know what laws govern them?
nmenaker is offline  
Old Dec 2, 19, 8:43 am
  #278  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LHR/SFO
Programs: 1K (until 2021), *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, Cadbury's Rum and Raisin Emeritus
Posts: 15,934
Originally Posted by nmenaker View Post
Well, based on this I checked out the new website of lycamobile. Not really a good deal at all unless one is going to do monthly in country and they don't really have a solid multi country offering. I still show my balance, and there is a LEAVE LYCA option, not sure if this means a refund is available or not. Anyone know what laws govern them?
In my dealings with them, their own laws. However, this is the contract I agreed to with Toggle Mobile and this is what, afaiac they are in breach of:

Please check our website regularly for any changes. Changes to Charges will be reflected in our tariff table from time-to-time. If a change will be materially detrimental to you, Lycamobile will give you at least one month’s notice. If you do not accept a change which is notified to you as materially detrimental then you can cancel this Agreement or cease using the Services or topping-up your Account. If you use the Services or top-up your Account after Lycamobile makes a change, then you are deemed to accept the change.

So, called my MasterCard provider, said I want to start a chargeback for non-delivery of service and that is the path I am going down as of last week. This is my barrack room lawyer opinion of a) not having received any notifcation b) it is materially detrimental to me. This was after having been on the phone with Lycamobile who told me that there is no facility to refund money. I gave up at that point, mostly because they transferred me to a supervisor and the line went dead. So I only intend to go down the chargeback route with MC.

As for leave Lyca that means to another provider and I would be more amazed than someone that is very amazed indeed if you get a sniff of a refund.
Silver Fox is online now  
Old Dec 3, 19, 2:02 am
  #279  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 4
It's a shame they trashed such a useful product. Does anybody know of any alternative for multi-country Europe usage?
gsydney is offline  
Old Dec 3, 19, 9:14 am
  #280  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BWI,IAD,DCA
Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
Posts: 607
Originally Posted by gsydney View Post
It's a shame they trashed such a useful product. Does anybody know of any alternative for multi-country Europe usage?
I have stopped using multi country sim cards for many years now. I use the Three sim card from the UK. I have used it all over Europe without any problems. Got the sim off eBay, and topped it off with a third party top up company. It is a great sim card.
ajGoes likes this.
powerlifter is offline  
Old Dec 3, 19, 2:58 pm
  #281  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: DAY/CMH
Programs: UA MileagePlus
Posts: 2,303
Originally Posted by Silver Fox View Post
So, called my MasterCard provider, said I want to start a chargeback for non-delivery of service and that is the path I am going down as of last week. This is my barrack room lawyer opinion of a) not having received any notifcation b) it is materially detrimental to me. This was after having been on the phone with Lycamobile who told me that there is no facility to refund money.
Once you've made an effort to get a fair resolution, say these magic words: "Please provide me with a deadlock letter." This is the start of the British conflict resolution system. I got my refund (for a different issue) a week or so after requesting the letter.
Silver Fox and Thysk like this.
ajGoes is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread