Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

My Adventures with Toggle Mobile (Mostly Good)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Adventures with Toggle Mobile (Mostly Good)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
From FIRST to LAST..

I have to say, my experience trying to add the LOCAL COUNTRY numbers and international LOCAL COUNTRIES DATA ROAMING have been HORRIBLE. At this point, I'm exhausted trying to get Toggle to resolve it. Frankly, they seem completely incompetent to resolve THEIR issues and get resolution in any reasonable amount of time.

After I put in for these LOCAL COUNTRY orders (which, sadly now seems to require a PASSPORT number and official BIRTHDAY - so I was leery about putting in THAT much information), I got a confirmation that your IMSI has been ACTIVATED. But, it wasn't. It was in PENDING..

So, I contact support, I'm not going to even list how many times. Both, via email and calling them at .25$ a minute, and they aren't fast at all.

Please don't take this next call the wrong way, but neither via email or phone, I really don't think they UNDERSTAND ENGLISH? I'm not going to go into any of the confusing irrelevant examples or words they used to try and fix the situation, but after what is collectively hours on phone and email it's still not resolved nearly a week later.

Sadly, the phone is now IN COUNTRY and in order to make calls it is NOT at the LOCAL NUMBER rate but at rates nearly 30X higher. Sadly, I was not aware of this at the time since I had initially received a text saying your COUNTRY IMSI HAS BEEN ACTIVATED.

Unfortunately, being in country (I'm not in country it's with my sister) there is relatively little one can do. Fortunately I had her activate her AT&T data plan and messaging so she'd have a backup, but it's certainly NOT the plan I had expected.

So, my historical experience - card in UK, data in UK, pricing in UK, POSSIBLY still stands, but everything else has fallen flat on it's face - at least in this example.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by nmenaker
From FIRST to LAST..

I have to say, my experience trying to add the LOCAL COUNTRY numbers and international LOCAL COUNTRIES DATA ROAMING have been HORRIBLE. At this point, I'm exhausted trying to get Toggle to resolve it. Frankly, they seem completely incompetent to resolve THEIR issues and get resolution in any reasonable amount of time.

After I put in for these LOCAL COUNTRY orders (which, sadly now seems to require a PASSPORT number and official BIRTHDAY - so I was leery about putting in THAT much information), I got a confirmation that your IMSI has been ACTIVATED. But, it wasn't. It was in PENDING..

So, I contact support, I'm not going to even list how many times. Both, via email and calling them at .25$ a minute, and they aren't fast at all.

Please don't take this next call the wrong way, but neither via email or phone, I really don't think they UNDERSTAND ENGLISH? I'm not going to go into any of the confusing irrelevant examples or words they used to try and fix the situation, but after what is collectively hours on phone and email it's still not resolved nearly a week later.

Sadly, the phone is now IN COUNTRY and in order to make calls it is NOT at the LOCAL NUMBER rate but at rates nearly 30X higher. Sadly, I was not aware of this at the time since I had initially received a text saying your COUNTRY IMSI HAS BEEN ACTIVATED.

Unfortunately, being in country (I'm not in country it's with my sister) there is relatively little one can do. Fortunately I had her activate her AT&T data plan and messaging so she'd have a backup, but it's certainly NOT the plan I had expected.

So, my historical experience - card in UK, data in UK, pricing in UK, POSSIBLY still stands, but everything else has fallen flat on it's face - at least in this example.
Work out how much you've been overcharged and request a refund. When you're at an impasse with them, request a "deadlock letter to submit to Toggle's alternative resolution scheme." If my experience is any guide, your case will shift to someone who can resolve it and you will soon have the overcharge refunded to your account.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 5:49 am
Suspended

i thought it would be interesting to start a thread about it. I'm using the 5S and very happy with it. I dumped my Samsung GN 2 onto my daughter awhile back and haven't looked back. Android is awesome, so is Apple, but I wanted to discuss the launch of the new iPhone.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by tairoylance112
i thought it would be interesting to start a thread about it. I'm using the 5S and very happy with it. I dumped my Samsung GN 2 onto my daughter awhile back and haven't looked back. Android is awesome, so is Apple, but I wanted to discuss the launch of the new iPhone.
Pardon?
Old Aug 31, 2014, 4:19 am

Programs: Hilton: Diamond/Everything else: Kettle...
My recent Toggle experience...

Purchased a SIM from them to use in UK, Denmark, Norway and Sweden on my family trip. After it arrived, it was "pre-populated" with several countries I didn't need. Went round and round with them to no avail. Decided to take it at a loss, if nothing worked...

- Set up a local number in Denmark and US (had a separate SIM for Sweden and only <24 hours in Norway), so I thought I'd be OK.
- Phone worked in US, but calling the number was weird - never heard it ring when calling, plus a 15 second+ delay between call and when the phone started ringing
- Arrive in UK. Powered up to "No service". Put the phone in manual mode to get service, but extremely limited coverage (Heathrow and downtown London)
- Arrive in Denmark. Power up to "No service". Put the phone in manual mode to get service. No service most of the time.

Ended giving up. I'll keep it active until my credit runs out, but no more money to them from me.

Best friend in this whole activity: my T-Mobile Phone and T-Mobile iPad. It worked everywhere (albeit slow internet), but I could call, I got emails and texts, I could Google maps, and it could look something up on the internet (not the fastest, but it worked).

J
Old Aug 31, 2014, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
The concept is great but the implementation does seem to be found wanting. It has worked for me OK, as the parent company is Lycamobile I don't expect much from them.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Slightly curious experience with Toggle. I'm registered in the UK and have permanent US and Swiss numbers by paying £5 a year.

I added Spain yesterday. The confirmation was almost immediate. However, the text message said that calls cost 9p a minute. Checking the website shows Spain/Spain as 9p/minute to mobiles but 3p per minute to landlines (and Spain/UK calls as 3p/minute to both).

I'll assume the website is correct unless I find out differently.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by Roger
Slightly curious experience with Toggle. I'm registered in the UK and have permanent US and Swiss numbers by paying £5 a year.

I added Spain yesterday. The confirmation was almost immediate. However, the text message said that calls cost 9p a minute. Checking the website shows Spain/Spain as 9p/minute to mobiles but 3p per minute to landlines (and Spain/UK calls as 3p/minute to both).

I'll assume the website is correct unless I find out differently.
Did it say 9p or up to 9p? For my experience, sms notification rates prevailed for me as website had different rate
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Did it say 9p or up to 9p?
I'm sure it was 9p. (I don't have it any more.) I noted that it was different from messages received when entering other countries.
For my experience, sms notification rates prevailed for me as website had different rate
Thanks for your warning!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Roger
I'm sure it was 9p. (I don't have it any more.) I noted that it was different from messages received when entering other countries.Thanks for your warning!
Activated my local number and got this SMS:
Your toggle mobile local is ************.Calls and Texts are free to receive in USA and pay no more than 9p/minto make calls and send texts to toggle mobile countries. Browse internet just for 15p/MB.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, it could have been a similar message, though I can't check.

Something else. I mentioned I activated a Spanish local number.

Yesterday, I had 8 unanswered calls, 5 from one Spanish mobile number and 3 from another. All were between 18:45 and 19:00 BST. The phone was switched off.

I've not given my number to anybody and know nobody who would call me on it yet. I'm assuming it's a recycled number and that the callers were trying to contact the previous user. Fingers crossed that it's an aberration and won't be repeated.

Will 'número equivocado' suffice?
Old Sep 19, 2014, 6:04 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
data point

got the toggle sim last year for a trip from amsterdam to budapest and it worked fine. I had to put the apn a few times as the phone kept forgetting it despite saving it. I kept it alive with a text message every couple of months. then i got a local france number in late august for a two week trip all over France. I got the 1 gb data package and was using a global moto g. And it worked great. It does take some time to register on the network, but i got decent speed even in the rural midi Pyrenees (2G) in places like Saint Cirq Lapopie. I got up to 7 mbs down with a ping of 60 in Cahors, and similar speeds in Bordeaux and Paris. I made some calls with it and got some calls with it and the spend on that was trivial. It seems to me it got better technically in the past year, and i never had to call customer service, thankfully, because it worked as it was supposed to do. However, now back in the US the data is painfully slow.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by boerne
got the toggle sim last year for a trip from amsterdam to budapest and it worked fine. I had to put the apn a few times as the phone kept forgetting it despite saving it. I kept it alive with a text message every couple of months. then i got a local france number in late august for a two week trip all over France. I got the 1 gb data package and was using a global moto g. And it worked great. It does take some time to register on the network, but i got decent speed even in the rural midi Pyrenees (2G) in places like Saint Cirq Lapopie. I got up to 7 mbs down with a ping of 60 in Cahors, and similar speeds in Bordeaux and Paris. I made some calls with it and got some calls with it and the spend on that was trivial. It seems to me it got better technically in the past year, and i never had to call customer service, thankfully, because it worked as it was supposed to do. However, now back in the US the data is painfully slow.
What speed are you getting in US?
Old Sep 19, 2014, 6:11 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
on T mo getting about 1 to 2 down. ping over 100. and i checked my APN.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by boerne
on T mo getting about 1 to 2 down. ping over 100. and i checked my APN.
That should be about right as I do not believe Moto G global version has an LTE radio.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.