Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

My Adventures with Toggle Mobile (Mostly Good)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Adventures with Toggle Mobile (Mostly Good)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I have 1 active UK number, 1 active US number, and I see the entire list of countries where you can get a local number in.
You jogged my memory. I think that initially I only had a UK option. But as I added countries additional country options showed up. And I don't think they ever disappeared from checking my phone last night.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Started to use it in the US. So, a few things:

It displays T-Mobile US - Toggle mobile as the provider and I am being charged local rates by looking at my call history.

I do not trust "Automatic" mode so manually set it to "USA" to "latch".

I have one issue that I will pursue with their customer service (and I agree that every email comes back like a copy/paste from part of some massive script somewhere) where a friend with an iphone cannot receive my texts. Other friends with iphones do. As far as I am aware all other texts appear to be going through. I have tried both "Reply" and "New".

Within about 10 minutes of turning it on in the US I got the text confirming my local number was active. And about 20 mins later the APN settings were texted to me - but I had no intention of using them so cannot comment on the data service.

They seem to have added more countries and although they still say "9 Local Numbers" I can count 13. 13 local numbers?

The website is OK, I can mostly get what I need from it but it is not the best out there by a longshot.

Coverage where I am in CA, South Bay is very good. No go in Yosemite though but that's fine.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 9:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Yeah, their latching does seem to be working in the US now, which is nice. Their customer service needs English lessons like United needs a new CEO, but they are nice, which is more than I can say for KnowRoaming.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:12 am

I do not trust "Automatic" mode so manually set it to "USA" to "latch".

I have one issue that I will pursue with their customer service (and I agree that every email comes back like a copy/paste from part of some massive script somewhere) where a friend with an iphone cannot receive my texts. Other friends with iphones do. As far as I am aware all other texts appear to be going through. I have tried both "Reply" and "New".
"Automatic" mode seems no longer to work for me, which is not a big deal since I almost always know what country I am in.

It is interesting that you are having issues sending texts to an iPhone. I sent a text to my own iPhone last month (to keep the account alive in between European trips) and the text never arrived, although the charge did show up on my account. In this case, I wasn't that upset, since all I wanted to do was extend the life of my account, but I can see how it would be irritating if you need actually to communicate with someone.

They seem to have added more countries and although they still say "9 Local Numbers" I can count 13. 13 local numbers?
What the "9 Local Numbers" means is that their SIM technology allows you to have up to nine local numbers (+ the UK number) on your SIM at any time. They offer numbers, as you have noted, in 13 countries.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Phudnik
"Automatic" mode seems no longer to work for me, which is not a big deal since I almost always know what country I am in.

It is interesting that you are having issues sending texts to an iPhone. I sent a text to my own iPhone last month (to keep the account alive in between European trips) and the text never arrived, although the charge did show up on my account. In this case, I wasn't that upset, since all I wanted to do was extend the life of my account, but I can see how it would be irritating if you need actually to communicate with someone.

What the "9 Local Numbers" means is that their SIM technology allows you to have up to nine local numbers (+ the UK number) on your SIM at any time. They offer numbers, as you have noted, in 13 countries.
I should have engaged brain before posting !
Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:56 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
with the numbers, once you add a local country you can't remove it from the SIM. Thus if you added all the 9 your allowed and wanted to say add a 10th, it won't allow you. I found out the other day when I wanted to add it. Doesn't matter if the others are active or not.
I contacted Toggle and they said that when I add a country, that information is written on the SIM and can't be undone. They did offer to mail me a new SIM though. But I don't think many will need all 13 countries
Old Feb 3, 2014, 4:48 pm

Question 1: Does the UK count as one of the 9 since it is preprogrammed. I have the US and use it regularly.

I'm doing a driving tour through the Netherlands, Belgium, France, Luxemborg, and Germany this year. My nephew is borrowing it for Poland and my best friend lives in Australia. I may have to replace the SIM card sooner or later.

Last edited by Dubai Stu; Feb 3, 2014 at 5:18 pm
Old Feb 3, 2014, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Question 1: Does the UK count as one of the 9 since it is preprogrammed. I have the US and use it regularly.

I'm doing a driving tour through the Netherlands, Belgium, France, Luxemborg, and Germany this year. My nephew is borrowing it for Poland and my best friend lives in Australia. I may have to replace the SIM card sooner or later.
I think the UK counts.
I have UK, PL(live there), NO (friends), CH (was on holiday), USA (family), OZ (was on holiday), FR (was on holiday), DE (visit frequently), NL (was on holiday). Tried to add ES and it failed. I might order a new SIM, but then again I don't see anytime in the future I will be traveling to ES, DE, IE, or DK.

I don't see Luxembourg on the list. With your countries you listed, that's 7 counting the UK. You still got space for 2.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jason8612
with the numbers, once you add a local country you can't remove it from the SIM. Thus if you added all the 9 your allowed and wanted to say add a 10th, it won't allow you. I found out the other day when I wanted to add it. Doesn't matter if the others are active or not.
I contacted Toggle and they said that when I add a country, that information is written on the SIM and can't be undone. They did offer to mail me a new SIM though. But I don't think many will need all 13 countries
This changes once the numbers are expired I'm assuming, correct?
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:36 pm

No. It sounds like once the country's profile is attached to the SIM it is there, even though the number is deactivated.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

My experience as well.

No. It sounds like once the country's profile is attached to the SIM it is there, even though the number is deactivated.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 2:41 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I was unable to "latch" my SIM to my old blackberry in the US and in the NL... it seems to only "like" the UK. Not an issue since I have spent 1 day in the NL so far, but perhaps I should reach out to them to try mailing a new SIM?

Has anyone had a problem where the SIM won't latch at all in any countries outside the UK that was resolved by receiving a new SIM? Multiple conversations with customer support have done nothing.

Last edited by Consultette; Feb 4, 2014 at 2:51 am
Old Feb 4, 2014, 2:55 am

Yup. Once the country is chosen, it is locked to the SIM. Doesn't matter if it's deactivated or not.
I highly doubt anyone would need all the countries, but it is something to keep in mind before you add a local number to a country your flying thru for a few hours...
Old Feb 4, 2014, 4:44 am
Suspended

Well...poop.

Originally Posted by jason8612
Yup. Once the country is chosen, it is locked to the SIM. Doesn't matter if it's deactivated or not.
I highly doubt anyone would need all the countries, but it is something to keep in mind before you add a local number to a country your flying thru for a few hours...
Well I'm sure a lot of people are going to visit more than 9 countries in their life...
Old Feb 4, 2014, 5:51 am

It sounds like they were replace SIM cards without all that much hassle. Only time will tell. For me, this isn't that big a deal. I have an iPhone with ATT's unlimited international data. I'm using it only for voice and will trigger a callback to make the calls in layover cities. Their loss.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.