Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

My Adventures with Toggle Mobile (Mostly Good)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Adventures with Toggle Mobile (Mostly Good)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2014, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Do you have to pay for incoming SMS/texts on your "local number" ? If it is on their site I cannot find it.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Do you have to pay for incoming SMS/texts on your "local number" ? If it is on their site I cannot find it.
Incoming SMS are free to receive
Old Jan 4, 2014, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Incoming SMS are free to receive
Thanks, I think I shall go for a speculative £25 on them and see how they work out.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 6:42 pm

Thanks, I think I shall go for a speculative £25 on them and see how they work out.
I have used Toggle mobile on several trips in the past 6 months. Love the ability to receive free phone calls in 20 countries on my UK, German or US local number.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
I am thinking of getting a Toggle mobile number as I travel to the US a lot and having a local number there helps (I will likely pay the £5 per year to retain it).

A couple of questions:

1) I am mostly in CA and would prefer a 408 area code - is there a choice of area code?
2) If the caller id shows my UK number when I call them when I am in the US, and they then store it on their phone then it seems to me that unless they edit their contacts that they will be calling my UK number - is that correct? ie. they will not see my local US number unless I explicitly give it to them ?
Like others, I had no choice in area code when requesting a local number in the USA (or France). Off the top of my head, I don't even know what it is. I would have to get the phone to take a look or log into my account. And then, I would have to look up that area code to see where it is.

But I only registered for a USA number just so I could keep the phone going until I get back to the UK. I know it will expire in a little, but that's no big deal as it appears there are no issues requesting a USA number while in the USA. (that's how I did. I didn't request it prior to leaning London). I can just re-register for a new number so I can spend the least amount of money to keep my account alive.

Also, when I called my main work mobile number, the phone number DID come across as that USA number and not the UK number. Not sure why it works differently in the USA vs when I was in France (call made from there showed up as the main UK number like I was expecting it to based on everything I had read)
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have ordered one, will not be using it until Jan/Feb in the US, so will see what happens ad report back.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, Toggle SIM arrived and it is in the phone, and I have registered for a local USA number using their website. US number is assigned. However, I am a bit disappointed with whatever the rate is likely to be as I have had 3 different variations:

From the website:
Landline/mobile 3p/min, SMS 7p/sms, data 15p/mb
On the Register local number page:
Landline/mobile 3p/min, SMS 9p/sms, data 15p/mb
On the Welcome text:
Landline/mobile 9p/min, SMS 7p/sms, data 15p/mb
On the pamphlet they send (and which I just bothered to read!):

I don't like discrepancies like this as it just seems amateurish. Unless I am misunderstanding something of course.

Apart from that, the rest of the process is pretty good thus far.

Last edited by Silver Fox; Jan 7, 2014 at 5:28 am
Old Jan 7, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
So, Toggle SIM arrived and it is in the phone, and I have registered for a local USA number using their website. US number is assigned. However, I am a bit disappointed with whatever the rate is likely to be as I have had 3 different variations:

From the website:
On the Register local number page:
Landline/mobile 3p/min, SMS 9p/sms, data 15p/mb
On the Welcome text:
Landline/mobile 9p/min, SMS 7p/sms, data 15p/mb
On the pamphlet they send (and which I just bothered to read!):

I don't like discrepancies like this as it just seems amateurish. Unless I am misunderstanding something of course.

Apart from that, the rest of the process is pretty good thus far.
Welcome to the challenging world of the Toggle customer, where communication is a dark art. You can find your actual rates on the My Toggle page. I just used my SIMs a couple of days ago to keep the accounts alive and verified that I was charged £0.03/min to call a US number.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 11:01 am

Yup. Challenging is a good way to describe being a Toggle customer. I just spent the better part of 2 weeks attempting to get a US number and have the SIM latch to a US network to keep my Toggle SIM and credit alive. The entire process seemed like a black box, and I'm honestly still not sure what magical combination I finally used to get it to work!
Old Jan 7, 2014, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Buster
Yup. Challenging is a good way to describe being a Toggle customer. I just spent the better part of 2 weeks attempting to get a US number and have the SIM latch to a US network to keep my Toggle SIM and credit alive. The entire process seemed like a black box, and I'm honestly still not sure what magical combination I finally used to get it to work!
Did you read the How to Use entry, "How do I latch SIM when I don't have signal?" I read every one of the FAQs but none of them answer the question "what does 'latch sim' mean?"
Old Jan 7, 2014, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by ajGoes
Did you read the How to Use entry, "How do I latch SIM when I don't have signal?" I read every one of the FAQs but none of them answer the question "what does 'latch sim' mean?"
Yup. I read every single FAQ. I also emailed Toggle support, and got a nonsensical response. What happened to me was that I had signal, but the only networks showing were AT&T and T-Mobile, but neither was associated with Toggle.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 11:41 am

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
I noticed the same thing about rates. I would see different things depending on which web page I looked at. But when it came to using it, I am pretty sure I always got the lowest rates that I saw. It's easy to log in and see all of your calls and texts and see what you got charged. Data is a little tricker, though. It seems like you get lots and lots of data "calls" listed in your account, all with varying charges. Still, for me, I have not run into any billing issues. I used it in the UK, France, and now in the USA. Hopefully, I won't have any problems in the future getting a new USA number and placing a call/text to keep my balance and account going.

My biggest tip is to jot down the APN settings some place handy. They don't always set set automatically when you "latch". And you may need to re-enter them for each NEW country you visit. But AFIK, the settings are always the same for all Toggle countries.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Buster
Yup. I read every single FAQ. I also emailed Toggle support, and got a nonsensical response. What happened to me was that I had signal, but the only networks showing were AT&T and T-Mobile, but neither was associated with Toggle.
My dumb phone says "toggle" (all lower case) when it's on Toggle's network. When it says "Toggle Mobile" it costs around US$2/minute. ):
Old Jan 7, 2014, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, if the "latching" does not take place automatically like they say, then I have no clue as to how I am supposed to do it manually on my Android phone. SimToolkit is not active if that is the method.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 1:40 pm

Well, if the "latching" does not take place automatically like they say, then I have no clue as to how I am supposed to do it manually on my Android phone. SimToolkit is not active if that is the method.
Bug in Android. SIM Toolkit will NOT show up unless you have a PIN active on your SIM.

Setup SIM card lock in Settings->Security. Reboot the phone and enter your PIN. Then you should see SIM Toolkit in your Application list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.