Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

My Adventures with Toggle Mobile (Mostly Good)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Adventures with Toggle Mobile (Mostly Good)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:32 am
Suspended

I tried the # they texted me, the US number from MN, and I still get this message while trying to register: Registration failed please contact customer device.

Here we go!!! Notoriously bad CS, I'm coming for you!
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I have a funny feeling you will have to register using the 07 number as that is the main number. I am not sure if you have tried that or not, have you ?
Old Mar 8, 2014, 11:10 am
Suspended

Haven't tried it. Whats the 07 number?
Old Mar 8, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
What's the 07 number?
Your card will receive a UK number whose area code begins with 07.

I think you should call CS from the phone with the Toggle SIM in it. They say you can call 322 from a Toggle country, so I'd start with that. If 322 doesn't work, call +44 7438 646 322.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I remember correctly, it was on the card that you push the SIM out from, or at least on the piece of paper the SIM is stuck to. UK mobile phone numbers begin 07nnnnnnnnn and registering using the US number will not work.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, have you tried dialling *132# to see what number that displays ?
Old Mar 8, 2014, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Also, have you tried dialling *132# to see what number that displays ?
I did the *132# method, and I got the following number: 447404162182

This number does not seem to register when trying to register SIM.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pricesquire
I did the *132# method, and I got the following number: 447404162182

This number does not seem to register when trying to register SIM.
OK, try registering 07404162182 and see what happens.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 12:48 pm
Suspended

OK, try registering 07404162182 and see what happens.
Worked Silver Fox!!!!!!!

Thank you thank you thank you

Old Mar 8, 2014, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Worked Silver Fox!!!!!!!

Thank you thank you thank you

I'll take a cheque but I prefer cash

Glad it all worked out....now...can someone fix my SIM Toolkit issue which is confusing the heck out of me on a dual sim phone !
Old Mar 8, 2014, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Anywhere on FT where's there's a flame-free discussion on Toggle?

I've read this forum and another, but I think my questions may be so dumb they were glanced over, for instance:

1) Is it too soon to register for a local number today when I'm leaving on 3/16?

2) Do I need a local # for each country?

3) Is there a single number I can give out to friends/family pre-departure that they can reach me on, regardless of country? For instance, I'm taking a train from AMS to CDG, wondering if on entrance to Belgium I need to get a new number, and on entrance to Paris I need another.

4) My BB is automatically searching for networks. Do I turn to manual in each country ?

Lastly, why, when I call from my toggle phone, is my number showing up as a local MN # And why is it showing me up receiving 3G service under T-mobile (Again, stupid questions...first time SIM user)?

Last edited by pricesquire; Mar 8, 2014 at 1:05 pm
Old Mar 8, 2014, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anywhere on FT where's there's a flame-free discussion on Toggle?

I've read this forum and another, but I think my questions may be so dumb they were glanced over, for instance:

1) Is it too soon to register for a local number today when I'm leaving on 3/16?

3) Is there a single number I can give out to friends/family pre-departure that they can reach me on, regardless of country? For instance, I'm taking a train from AMS to CDG, wondering if on entrance to Belgium I need to get a new number, and on entrance to Paris I need another.

Lastly, why, when I call from my toggle phone, is my number showing up as a local MN #?
1) No.
2) You don't, but it is best to as if you have the mode set to Automatic (you can set this via SIM Toolkit) then it will automatically use the local number of the country you are in. I think Mode->Automatic is the default
3) So, for example, on my Toggle I get my mates in the UK to call me on my UK number which then calls me in the US - free for them and free for me to receive. If they call/txt my US local number they have to pay.
4) When I have mine set to Automatic, if I call from the US to the UK it shows my US number to them. I think. I just called from my UK Toggle to my UK home phone and it shows my UK number.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 1:13 pm

Lastly, why, when I call from my toggle phone, is my number showing up as a local MN #?
1) Local numbers are good for 30 days unless you pay £5/year to extend their life. Therefore, you should register for them such that they'll be active while you're in each country.

2) You need a local number, where it's available, to benefit from the very low calling rate. It may be useful to give contacts in those countries a local number. Note that caller ID on phones you call will show the UK number rather than your local number.

3) Your Toggle SIM's main number is the UK number. No matter where you are, you should receive the call if someone calls that number. You should register for local numbers before you arrive in each Toggle country.

As to why your Toggle phone's number shows as a US number, I don't know that one. When I text from my Toggle cards in the US, the receiving phone shows their UK numbers, but I think Toggle has released a new generation of cards since I got mine.

Keep an eye on your credit! You can see it on screen by entering *131# and pressing Send. If you're roaming in the US, your calls will cost over US$2/minute.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 1:18 pm

... if you have the mode set to Automatic (you can set this via SIM Toolkit) then it will automatically use the local number of the country you are in. I think Mode->Automatic is the default....
There's a caveat to that: in the US, the card will automatically use the local number UNLESS IT DOESN'T. If you're billed at the roaming rate and complain, Toggle CS will say "we always tell our customers to call Customer Service when they arrive in a new Toggle country." If by "we", they mean CS reps, that has indeed been my experience. But neither their instruction manual nor their web site gives the slightest hint that this would be a good idea.

With my cards, my dumb phone does not use Toggle in the US unless I disable the Automatic mode and manually select Toggle. This is easy to do.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 1:20 pm
Suspended

I think I may be sending you a cheque, SF

Another dumb question: am I getting "charged" for this 3G while in the US? Should I just keep my phone off until I leave?

Why can I text my US-based toggle number from my iPhone and receive it, but I can't text from my toggle'd BB? Tried texting myself multiple times to no avail, but I can receive texts!?

Oddly, NL nor Belgium on the below-screenshot'd list....also won't let me click on a country without this error message: MSISDN is not allocated for this subscriber

EDIT: I was trying to click auto renewal. Don't want that. I guess I just turn on my phone when I land and it auto picks up the NL network?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.