Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

My Adventures with Toggle Mobile (Mostly Good)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Adventures with Toggle Mobile (Mostly Good)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2014, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by ajGoes
There's a caveat to that: in the US, the card will automatically use the local number UNLESS IT DOESN'T. If you're billed at the roaming rate and complain, Toggle CS will say "we always tell our customers to call Customer Service when they arrive in a new Toggle country." If by "we", they mean CS reps, that has indeed been my experience. But neither their instruction manual nor their web site gives the slightest hint that this would be a good idea.

With my cards, my dumb phone does not use Toggle in the US unless I disable the Automatic mode and manually select Toggle. This is easy to do.
I set it to manual when I was in US last and naturally that was OK. I will try Automatic this time and see what happens. I just returned from Australia and that was set to Automatic and it used the local number and rates so it worked for me there.

Originally Posted by pricesquire
I think I may be sending you a cheque, SF

Another dumb question: am I getting "charged" for this 3G while in the US? Should I just keep my phone off until I leave?

Why can I text my US-based toggle number from my iPhone and receive it, but I can't text from my toggle'd BB? Tried texting myself multiple times to no avail, but I can receive texts!?

Oddly, NL nor Belgium on the below-screenshot'd list....also won't let me click on a country without this error message: MSISDN is not allocated for this subscriber

EDIT: I was trying to click auto renewal. Don't want that. I guess I just turn on my phone when I land and it auto picks up the NL network?
I have never used the data part of it so cannot answer that, I always go for wifi.

Ah. You remind me. I have had problems texting some iphones and after toing and froing with Toggle customer service they assure me the problem is fixed (not been able to test it yet) and gave me a credit for the txts that I sent that were not received.

Yes, if you are set to Automatic that is what should happen. You get a text that tells you your local number and I think that means it has worked as it also gives the local call rates. Although as ajgoes says, he/she has had an issue. I am using Android 4.2 Acer V370 Liquid E2 Duo. If in doubt, select Manual or Roaming is their advice I believe.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I set it to manual when I was in US last and naturally that was OK. I will try Automatic this time and see what happens. I just returned from Australia and that was set to Automatic and it used the local number and rates so it worked for me there.

I have never used the data part of it so cannot answer that, I always go for wifi.

Ah. You remind me. I have had problems texting some iphones and after toing and froing with Toggle customer service they assure me the problem is fixed (not been able to test it yet) and gave me a credit for the txts that I sent that were not received.

Yes, if you are set to Automatic that is what should happen. You get a text that tells you your local number and I think that means it has worked as it also gives the local call rates. Although as ajgoes says, he/she has had an issue. I am using Android 4.2 Acer V370 Liquid E2 Duo. If in doubt, select Manual or Roaming is their advice I believe.
Excellent. Looks like all my questions have been answered. Thanks to all.

Now back to customer service to deal w/ texting issue. Ugh.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Excellent. Looks like all my questions have been answered. Thanks to all.

Now back to customer service to deal w/ texting issue. Ugh.
The CS will drive you nuts. I found their responses timely but oh so obviously a frigging great big long copy/paste with all sorts of fluff that you are not interested in. But, they do get there in their own way if you are politely insistent.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 4:18 pm
Suspended

The CS will drive you nuts. I found their responses timely but oh so obviously a frigging great big long copy/paste with all sorts of fluff that you are not interested in. But, they do get there in their own way if you are politely insistent.
What's even better:

The last two times CSR responded they called me by my wrong name. Once Jon, once Steve. My name is Ben!
Old Mar 8, 2014, 5:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Their support is a clusterxxxx. Their social media team used to be great, but takes about a week to respond right now. I LOVE the idea they have, but it's lacking in the support department by enough that it could end up crippling them. The sooner they fix this, the better a company they will be.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Question:

Toggle lists "supported countries"

Let's say I turn my phone on in Romania. Does that mean: (1) my phone won't work, or (2) my phone will work at inflated rates.

Need a SIM for Romania for April (no more Kiev trip..), and not having luck on FT finding one.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Question:

Toggle lists "supported countries"

Let's say I turn my phone on in Romania. Does that mean: (1) my phone won't work, or (2) my phone will work at inflated rates.

Need a SIM for Romania for April (no more Kiev trip..), and not having luck on FT finding one.
Toggle seems to have roaming agreements nearly everywhere. You can check the rates with the lower two selectors here.

It's £0.23/min to call within Romania and £0.19/minute to receive calls. Pretty steep, but not nearly as bad as some roaming destinations.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ajGoes
Toggle seems to have roaming agreements nearly everywhere. You can check the rates with the lower two selectors here.

It's £0.23/min to call within Romania and £0.19/minute to receive calls. Pretty steep, but not nearly as bad as some roaming destinations.
That's actually not bad, weren't you billed a dollar something for a minute phone call in the US while you weren't "latched" to Toggle?
Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:16 pm
Suspended

I'll take that rate...but I need to call the US, not Romania.

Hey, thanks for the link!

EDIT: about 2 bucks a minute to call the US. Awful. Otherwise, good deal, as texts are about a dime a piece.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by PainCorp
That's actually not bad, weren't you billed a dollar something for a minute phone call in the US while you weren't "latched" to Toggle?
Two dollars, actually. Toggle refunded the overcharge five months later when I asked for a deadlock letter.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 9:10 pm
Suspended

I'll take that rate...but I need to call the US, not Romania.

Hey, thanks for the link!

EDIT: about 2 bucks a minute to call the US. Awful. Otherwise, good deal, as texts are about a dime a piece.
Look into Roamer, it should help.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 7:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PainCorp
Look into Roamer, it should help.
Thanks PC.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
certain

I am certain that the CS is probably 5000-7000 away from England.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nmenaker
I am certain that the CS is probably 5000-7000 away from England.
You mean from English ?
Old Mar 9, 2014, 10:10 am
Suspended

Been talking to CS since yesterday morning.

Each email contains either: (1) another inconsistency on their part; or (2) a repetition of something I've said multiple times.

In the same email chain:

1) They've called me by three different names

2) They've asked me for my number three different times

3) They've ignored things I've told them

4) Their advice isn't advice at all, but canned responses.

Oyyyyyy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.