Reload this Page >

Safety of Travel in Thailand 2014 — Martial Law, Peaceful Military Coup

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2013, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
This thread is for posting questions and specific news/updates of direct relevance to those traveling in or to the area.
Discussion of underlying and peripheral issues, comparisons to similar past events, and speculation about future conditions
belong in OMNI/PR or the Thai News & Open Discussion Thread. Off-topic posts will be moved or deleted.
Thanks for your assistance.

Update

13 June 2014:

Curfew has been lifted nationwide.

Travel advisories issued by a number of foreign governments remain in place. Check your country's embassy or consular website for travel advice and updates.

Courts martial have been established for violators of criminal code sections dealing with lèse-majesté, and those covering the broad subject of "national security" (including civilian violators). The NCPO has warned that it will crackdown on anti-coup protests if they do not cease. Visitors are strongly advised to stay away from all political gatherings.

Media gag has been eased, but strict censorship orders are in place, with local press and broadcast outlets reporting only approved content. ISPs have been ordered to monitor social media, and to block disruptive or "negative" content. Accurate and comprehensive information remains difficult to obtain, both in and out of the country. Censorship violations are among those subject to courts martial.

Hotlines for Tourists in Thailand
  • TAT Call Centre 1672
  • Tourist Police Call Centre 1155
  • Traffic Police Call Centre 1197
  • BMTA (city bus and van service) Call Centre 1348
  • BTS Hotline +66 (0) 2617 6000
  • MRT Customer Relations Center +66 (0) 2624 5200
  • SRT (train service) Call Centre 1690
  • Transport Co., Ltd., (inter-provincial bus service) Call Centre 1490
  • AOT (Suvarnabhumi Airport) Call Centre 1722
  • Thai Airways International Call Centre +66 (0) 2356 1111
  • Bangkok Airways Call Centre 1771
  • Nok Air Call Centre 1318
  • Thai AirAsia Call Centre +66 (0) 2515 9999

Links to External Information Sources

Special thanks to FTer c_9 for initiating this Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Safety of Travel in Thailand 2014 — Martial Law, Peaceful Military Coup

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Paella747
I was just now watching CNN in the hotel, and the screen went to some Thai writing and chanting songs. So I turned to BBC, and a few minutes later the same thing happened to that channel...
Washington Post:
An army spokesman later announced that it had dissolved the caretaker government and suspended the constitution but that the Senate would remain in place. It also ordered the suspension of all television broadcasting and replaced programming with patriotic music to fill air time between announcements.

CNN, BBC and other cable news channels were also taken off the air.
But they appear to have reconsidered:
Originally Posted by yosithezet
SPG tv is working fine.

Actually so are many non-English news stations. Many are running their Emglish news programs now.

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; May 22, 2014 at 9:34 am
Old May 22, 2014, 9:40 am

The military are also relatively commercially savy.

Bangkok Post: BTS and other mass transit closes at 9 pm
The BTS skytrain and MRT underground service will shut down from 9pm Thursday following the curfew announcement by the National Peace and Order Maintaining Council...They will resume operations at 6am.
Travel to airport beyond curfew hours permitted Bangkok Post: Army Details Curfew Exceptions
In a televised broadcast, deputy army spokesman Winthai Suwaree said travellers who are to leave or enter the kingdom during the curfew period will be allowed to move to their destinations.

And of course, the airport is running normally
http://www.bangkokpost.com/most-rece...ating-as-usual

Not a Thailand fanboy but no reason to curtail any travel plans, IMHO.

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; May 22, 2014 at 10:12 am Reason: Added quoted excerpts pursuant to FT rules and to assist those who can't reach websites
Old May 22, 2014, 9:50 am

Airports Open - Schools Closed

All 6 AOT airports (Suvarnabhumi, Don Mueang, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Hat Yai, Chiang Rai) are open and operating "normally", according to The Nation and AOT"

--------------------------------------------------
The Nation, English language newspaper in Bangkok tweets that schools in Thailand have been ordered to close for the next few days".

Two friends in the north say they are having a hard time getting any news.

One - a school teacher near Udon - was not aware schools are closed. She said they are simply not being told anything.
Old May 22, 2014, 10:05 am

All posters are reminded to please include brief, quoted excerpts of articles when posting links to external pages in accordance with FT rules.

Thanks.

Also, please note that that links to the Bangkok Post may timeout without loading for members trying to view the site from outside of Asia. (I'm presently in the USA and was unable to load any pages without using a VPN with a Thai IP).
Old May 22, 2014, 10:13 am

AOT has finally put out some notices on their Line account at 10:50pm! Better late than never (sorry this is long as nothing as yet on their website, http://airportthai.co.th/main/en/news

AOT 10:50pm 22 May 2014:

The National Peace and Order Maintenance Council has issued a curfew order from 22:00 to 05:00, in effect from the 22nd May 2014 until further notice. However, Suvarnabhumi Airport remains operational as normal and departure passengers who have to travel to the airport during curfew hours must show his/her passport and ticket at road check-points; and please prepare additional travel time to ensure that you do not miss your flight.

Arrival passengers and airport officials wishing to travel into Bangkok during these hours must show his/her passport or airport identification card at check-points.

All pick-up and drop-off vehicles must obtain a document from the Suvarnabhumi Airport Information Counters, located at Entrance 3 and 5 of the Departure Hall (4th Floor) or Entrance 3 of the Arrival Hall (2nd Floor) to verify that you have visited the airport during curfew hours.

For any passengers who cannot find a mean of transport out of Suvarnabhumi Airport during curfew hours, may use the facilities available at CIP Lounges 1-4, located on the 3rd floor of the Passenger Terminal.

Nevertheless, the Shuttle Bus service between Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang International Airport is operating as usual. For further information, please call AOT Contact Center 1722 (24-hours).

http://www.tatnews.org/flash-update-...-developments/
Old May 22, 2014, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad
Also, please note that that links to the Bangkok Post may timeout without loading for members trying to view the site from outside of Asia. (I'm presently in the USA and was unable to load any pages without using a VPN with a Thai IP).
Strange, I have no problems with the links I posted earlier and in New York area......it's possible the various news sites are now being screened?
Old May 22, 2014, 12:46 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by dtsm
Strange, I have no problems with the links I posted earlier and in New York area......it's possible the various news sites are now being screened?
I have always had problems with the bangkokpost.com site loading....I generally wait a few seconds, hit the "stop" button, and the page then shows on my screen. Otherwise, it loads and loads but the screen stays blank. Weird.
Old May 22, 2014, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by dtsm
I'm not really sure what it is. I saw it happening consistently a few hours ago, but now it's sporadic.
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I have always had problems with the bangkokpost.com site loading....I generally wait a few seconds, hit the "stop" button, and the page then shows on my screen. Otherwise, it loads and loads but the screen stays blank. Weird.
Yes, same here, but even that wasn't working earlier. Tried several browsers, etc., but could only load pages from Thai IP.

In any case, as long as excerpts of key points from the linked articles are included in the posts, it shouldn't be an issue.
Old May 22, 2014, 2:26 pm

Reuters: Thai army bans groups of more than five people from gathering
"No gathering can take place anywhere with five people or more ... Anyone who violates this could be liable to not less than one year in prison," deputy army spokesman Winthai Suvaree said in a televised statement.
Unlikely to be enforced, but be aware.
Old May 22, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL GM
Phuket

How is the situation in phuket? I am going in November. Should I consider going elsewhere?
Old May 22, 2014, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Sounds complicated. Hopefuly since i arrive and depart TG within a 15 hour period, I will hopefully have both boarding passes which should be more than enough proof. However i think i should probably find an airport hotel that is convenient to the train to the city, not to have to deal with most of the hassle and still get some layover sightseeing in

Last edited by CDKing; May 22, 2014 at 2:36 pm Reason: fix quote
Old May 22, 2014, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by deathscar
So, quick question - is it safe/advisable to go to Phuket?
Originally Posted by sectflyer
How is the situation in phuket? I am going in November. Should I consider going elsewhere?
Presently, there are no issues in Phuket. It's impossible to know what conditions will be six months from now.

The only reasonable advice possible at this time is that you continue monitoring the situation, and make travel decisions based on your own tolerance for risk.
Old May 22, 2014, 5:20 pm

Programs: free agent
Wonder if it'll be an issue for hotels to get taxi for people to go airport before 5 AM? I have a 0650 am flight to Tokyo on this Tuesday? I'm still going to fly this Sunday and would appreciate if anyone can share their insights on BKK from ground.
Old May 22, 2014, 6:00 pm

Programs: aa
We flew into bkk last night around 1130. Found out about the coup and curfew when we landed and they made an announcement on the plane. We made it to our riverside hotel in record time. Our cabbie didn't seemed too phased by everything. ANA gave us a paper as we exited the plane as proof that we just arrived into the county... I guess we were supposed to show it if we were stopped. There was a military " checkpoint" about 10 mins outside of the airport, we just slowed down by kept driving right on through.

It was was really odd to see the streets so empty! About the only cars we saw were other taxis, and big trucks.
Old May 22, 2014, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by sectflyer
Depends where you go and the day. Im in Karon and it was opened last night but in Patong the curfew was enforced. My hotel will let me know later in the day if the curfew will be in effect in Karon tonight. I do know about Phuket Town.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.