Reload this Page >

Safety of Travel in Thailand 2014 — Martial Law, Peaceful Military Coup

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2013, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
This thread is for posting questions and specific news/updates of direct relevance to those traveling in or to the area.
Discussion of underlying and peripheral issues, comparisons to similar past events, and speculation about future conditions
belong in OMNI/PR or the Thai News & Open Discussion Thread. Off-topic posts will be moved or deleted.
Thanks for your assistance.

Update

13 June 2014:

Curfew has been lifted nationwide.

Travel advisories issued by a number of foreign governments remain in place. Check your country's embassy or consular website for travel advice and updates.

Courts martial have been established for violators of criminal code sections dealing with lθse-majestι, and those covering the broad subject of "national security" (including civilian violators). The NCPO has warned that it will crackdown on anti-coup protests if they do not cease. Visitors are strongly advised to stay away from all political gatherings.

Media gag has been eased, but strict censorship orders are in place, with local press and broadcast outlets reporting only approved content. ISPs have been ordered to monitor social media, and to block disruptive or "negative" content. Accurate and comprehensive information remains difficult to obtain, both in and out of the country. Censorship violations are among those subject to courts martial.

Hotlines for Tourists in Thailand
  • TAT Call Centre 1672
  • Tourist Police Call Centre 1155
  • Traffic Police Call Centre 1197
  • BMTA (city bus and van service) Call Centre 1348
  • BTS Hotline +66 (0) 2617 6000
  • MRT Customer Relations Center +66 (0) 2624 5200
  • SRT (train service) Call Centre 1690
  • Transport Co., Ltd., (inter-provincial bus service) Call Centre 1490
  • AOT (Suvarnabhumi Airport) Call Centre 1722
  • Thai Airways International Call Centre +66 (0) 2356 1111
  • Bangkok Airways Call Centre 1771
  • Nok Air Call Centre 1318
  • Thai AirAsia Call Centre +66 (0) 2515 9999

Links to External Information Sources

Special thanks to FTer c_9 for initiating this Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Safety of Travel in Thailand 2014 — Martial Law, Peaceful Military Coup

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2014, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
This will be about the 20th "Final Battle" that Suthep has announced. It's good to note that he's planning something, but he seems more and more impotent as the weeks go by.
I just got back from 2 years in Thailand. It was difficult to explain to my family back in the States that tourists will walk by lines of soldiers and protestors as if it's all a part of the vacation backdrop, and that the Thais don't mind this at all. In fact, many Thais treat the various protests as spectacles. My only suggestion would be to avoid the vicinity of large protests because of the "mysterious" explosions that happen from time to time. And be nice to everyone in tense areas.
Old May 7, 2014, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by nongsom
Big protest event coming on 14 may 2014 suthep said last night, Beware
The "Final Battle" has been rescheduled to May 9. I guess Suthep found he had a dentist appointment on the 14th or something. :-)
Old May 8, 2014, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
The court just removed Yingluck and the Red Shirts are threatening a response. The PDRC has said they are bringing in more demonstrators from the South. If these 2 things actually happen, life could get more "interesting".
Old May 11, 2014, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Suthep has announced that the protesters are going to leave Lumpini Park. He's planning a speech tonight and then the protesters will pack up and leave. If they do all leave, it's going to take several days to clean the park up.

So Lumpini will likely become a better place to go. But they say they are going to the Government House. Probably take over the lawns and park there like they did before the 2006 coup.

But since that's hardly a tourist area this may improve things a bit for tourists.
Old May 11, 2014, 9:41 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV

But since that's hardly a tourist area this may improve things a bit for tourists.
Improve things? For the past month or more they have been in Lumpini Park, do you feel that tourists were inconvenienced?
Old May 11, 2014, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CAPO is saying that they are going to send a SWAT team to arrest Suthep and other leaders of PDRC. If this happens, it's not likely to be peaceful. Avoid Government House.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/poli...t-pdrc-leaders
Old May 11, 2014, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Improve things? For the past month or more they have been in Lumpini Park, do you feel that tourists were inconvenienced?
They've been there since December, I think. I used to go there several times a week for a jog. Lots of tourists there. But since the PDRC took it over completely (I'm thinking late February) it's been more and more difficult to use and fewer and fewer people go there. So, yes I think tourists were inconvenienced if they lived near the park or liked to use the park.
Old May 12, 2014, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
So, yes I think tourists were inconvenienced if they lived near the park or liked to use the park.
I agree with you, but am fairly confident that that is a very small minority of tourists to Bangkok. Fortunately, the Lumpini occupation hasn't affected any major tourist sites/destinations.
Old May 13, 2014, 2:24 am

Just left BKK yesterday. Luckily it rained a lot for May & the heat wasn't as brutal as usual for the month. Expected a much bigger Red Shirt eruption. Managed quite nicely w/out the Kevlar.
Old May 15, 2014, 1:19 am

3 killed and 22 injured after a shooting and grenade attack at the main PDRC protest site last night at the infamous Khok Wua intersection (April 2010) and Democracy Monument (150m east). Khok Wua intersection is only 50m south of KSR.

Again, stay away from all protest sites DAY & NIGHT!!! Grenade season is upon us again and protest sites are are target.
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/poli...-30233679.html
Old May 15, 2014, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by Yappofloyd
3 killed and 22 injured after a shooting and grenade attack at the main PDRC protest site last night at the infamous Khok Wua intersection (April 2010) and Democracy Monument (150m east). Khok Wua intersection is only 50m south of KSR.

Again, stay away from all protest sites DAY & NIGHT!!! Grenade season is upon us again and protest sites are are target.
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/poli...-30233679.html
Thanks for the information. I will (or maybe I won't) be in Bangkok later this month. I don't know the area well, but I'm staying at the Rennasiance. I know they were suppose to leave the park, which was only a couple blocks away. Would you be able to provide a little more detailed information of where to stay away. Thanks again, and safe travels.
Old May 15, 2014, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by northsideguy
Thanks for the information. I will (or maybe I won't) be in Bangkok later this month. I don't know the area well, but I'm staying at the Rennasiance. I know they were suppose to leave the park, which was only a couple blocks away. Would you be able to provide a little more detailed information of where to stay away. Thanks again, and safe travels.
The wiki above provides good stuff, follow Richard Barrows and his maps. He's he best on-the-ground source for up-to-date info. I was in Bkk for several weeks, in Feb and again late April early May - as long as you stay clear of the hot spots, all is fine!
Old May 17, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
U.S. Embassy Security Message - Travel Alert

Email from U.S. Citizens Services:
Travel Alert for Thailand - May 16, 2014

The U.S. Department of State alerts U.S. citizens of the potential risks of travel to Thailand, particularly Bangkok, due to ongoing political and social unrest. On May 7, the Constitutional Court ruled to dismiss the caretaker Prime Minister and nine cabinet members, and an acting caretaker Prime Minister assumed the role. In March, the same court annulled the results of the February 2 national elections. Demonstrations, primarily in the greater Bangkok area and occasionally elsewhere in Thailand, are continuing, and there have been regular incidents of violence. U.S. citizens are advised to avoid all protests, demonstrations, and large gatherings. Protests may occur in Bangkok or in nearby areas with little or no prior notice. This Travel Alert supersedes the Travel Alert issued on February 14, 2014, and will expire on August 19, 2014.

Political demonstrations in Thailand have taken place regularly since early November 2013. Most protest activity has occurred in the Bangkok area, often around government, shopping, and tourist sites, but on occasion there have been smaller demonstrations in other areas of Thailand, including Chiang Mai. Although many protest activities have been peaceful, violent incidents involving guns and explosive devices have occurred at or near protest sites. Some have resulted in injury or death. In Bangkok, anti-government protests have been mobile throughout the city, with large numbers of demonstrators at times swelling quickly and closing major roads and intersections. The majority of the demonstrations have occurred in the vicinity of Thai government facilities and at major intersections. These have included Ratchadamnoen near Government House and Victory Monument, Lumpini Park, Pathumwan, Ratchaprasong, Sala Daeng, and the Government Center at Chaengwattana. Pro-government demonstrators are also maintaining a rally site on Aksa Road in western Bangkok. There is often reduced or no police presence at protest sites, where protest “guards” frequently control access.

On March 19, the Royal Thai Government invoked the Internal Security Act (ISA) in the province of Nontahburi, the district of Lad Lumkaew (province of Pathumthai), and the district of Bang Phli (province of Samut Prakan). The ISA is currently effective through June 30 and grants security forces additional authorities to set up checkpoints and restrict movement.

U.S. citizens are cautioned that even demonstrations that are meant to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid protest sites, demonstrations, and large gatherings. Be alert and aware of your surroundings and pay attention to local news media reports. You should allow extra time when travelling throughout the city or to/from airports. Consider using public transportation.

<snip>
Current info at http://travel.state.gov/content/travel/english.html or call 1-888-407-4747 in the United States, or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries, Monday through Friday, between 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time (except U.S. federal holidays).
Old May 17, 2014, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by northsideguy
They have moved completely out of the park. However it's still not open. Not sure what repairs they are doing. I saw fairly large cranes there yesterday (Saturday). Signs outside the park say it will open on Monday.

Suthep just "announced" (he "announces" a lot of things ) that the last "final battle" will be between now and May 26. He said if they don't get what they want by then, he will call off the demonstrations.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/most-rece...o-face-charges
Old May 18, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: aa
We have a flight our of DM airport on the 27th. Even though the last last stand is scheduled to end on the 26th, should we plan on several hours to get to the airport from our riverside hotel? Yes, I know there is no crystal ball, just trying to get a better understanding of what to expect. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.