Reload this Page >

Safety of Travel in Thailand 2014 — Martial Law, Peaceful Military Coup

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2013, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
This thread is for posting questions and specific news/updates of direct relevance to those traveling in or to the area.
Discussion of underlying and peripheral issues, comparisons to similar past events, and speculation about future conditions
belong in OMNI/PR or the Thai News & Open Discussion Thread. Off-topic posts will be moved or deleted.
Thanks for your assistance.

Update

13 June 2014:

Curfew has been lifted nationwide.

Travel advisories issued by a number of foreign governments remain in place. Check your country's embassy or consular website for travel advice and updates.

Courts martial have been established for violators of criminal code sections dealing with lèse-majesté, and those covering the broad subject of "national security" (including civilian violators). The NCPO has warned that it will crackdown on anti-coup protests if they do not cease. Visitors are strongly advised to stay away from all political gatherings.

Media gag has been eased, but strict censorship orders are in place, with local press and broadcast outlets reporting only approved content. ISPs have been ordered to monitor social media, and to block disruptive or "negative" content. Accurate and comprehensive information remains difficult to obtain, both in and out of the country. Censorship violations are among those subject to courts martial.

Hotlines for Tourists in Thailand
  • TAT Call Centre 1672
  • Tourist Police Call Centre 1155
  • Traffic Police Call Centre 1197
  • BMTA (city bus and van service) Call Centre 1348
  • BTS Hotline +66 (0) 2617 6000
  • MRT Customer Relations Center +66 (0) 2624 5200
  • SRT (train service) Call Centre 1690
  • Transport Co., Ltd., (inter-provincial bus service) Call Centre 1490
  • AOT (Suvarnabhumi Airport) Call Centre 1722
  • Thai Airways International Call Centre +66 (0) 2356 1111
  • Bangkok Airways Call Centre 1771
  • Nok Air Call Centre 1318
  • Thai AirAsia Call Centre +66 (0) 2515 9999

Links to External Information Sources

Special thanks to FTer c_9 for initiating this Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Safety of Travel in Thailand 2014 — Martial Law, Peaceful Military Coup

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2014, 9:05 am

According to Richard Barrow tweet, protestors shutdown Wireless Rd, and were staged in front of the US Embassy. So much for the Oriental Residence [and Conrad across the street] being protest-free!

Guess my next trip scheduled after Songkran in late April will need to relocate back to Grande Centrepoint Ratchadamri?
Old Mar 6, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dtsm
According to Richard Barrow tweet, protestors shutdown Wireless Rd, and were staged in front of the US Embassy. So much for the Oriental Residence [and Conrad across the street] being protest-free!

Guess my next trip scheduled after Songkran in late April will need to relocate back to Grande Centrepoint Ratchadamri?
The staging of demonstrations in front of the US embassy is not an uncommon occurrence. They have always been short-lived in the past, and from what I've read, this one was no different. There wasn't even a notification from USCS about it.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Southwest, HHonors, National
Departure time from hotel

I'll be staying at the Millennium Hilton towards the end of this month. Assuming there are still significant protests, how much time should I allow going to the airport? My flight departs at 7:40am and I've currently arranged a car to pick me up at 6am. I'm thinking of changing the pick-up time but not sure how much more time I need.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by Gradfly
My flight departs at 7:40am and I've currently arranged a car to pick me up at 6am. I'm thinking of changing the pick-up time but not sure how much more time I need.
Others will know better protest locations as you get closer to your date.The river hotels are fairly quiet and devoid of protestors in the past so traffic per se not any worse.

But keep in mind the airport is quite busy in the morning hours. If you're flying business or first, then Premium/Fast Track will insure no long lines. Otherwise, expect long security lines and possibly long immigration lines.

Leaving by 5:30 am might be safer - normally ride is 35-45 minutes and get breakfast at the airport
Old Mar 6, 2014, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Gradfly
I'll be staying at the Millennium Hilton towards the end of this month. Assuming there are still significant protests, how much time should I allow going to the airport? My flight departs at 7:40am and I've currently arranged a car to pick me up at 6am. I'm thinking of changing the pick-up time but not sure how much more time I need.
As of right now, traffic isn't an issue. Occasionally PDRC will hold a march down one of the streets (saw it on Ploenchit 2 days ago) but that's during the day.

I make it a rule on an international flight to have the car pick me up 2 1/2 hour before flight time. Your biggest potential delay is not so much traffic as it is Immigration. They can get backed up.

I'd rather spend an hour in the lounge at the airport getting bored than worry about missing a flight because of a demonstration, traffic jam or long lines at Immigration.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
As of right now, traffic isn't an issue. Occasionally PDRC will hold a march down one of the streets (saw it on Ploenchit 2 days ago) but that's during the day.

I make it a rule on an international flight to have the car pick me up 2 1/2 hour before flight time. Your biggest potential delay is not so much traffic as it is Immigration. They can get backed up.

I'd rather spend an hour in the lounge at the airport getting bored than worry about missing a flight because of a demonstration, traffic jam or long lines at Immigration.
Makes a lot of sense to me +++++ ! Who cares if you lose a little shut-eye. You can replace it on the plane.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
The protesters have expanded from Lumpini further into Rajdamri. All southbound lanes are blocked with barricades and vendor stalls. They are allowing 1 northbound lane. That, combined with the flyover blocked for security reasons traffic is suffering rather badly as of right now.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It almost appears as if someone is listening down in Lumpini. There have been some complaints from locals that the protesters are interfering with them. There is a Korean based group (2000 something) and a Tae Chi group that both meet around KM marker 2.1. The tents have been removed from those spots and the people are back.

A lot of the areas where there was open sewage (literally) have been cleaned up.

Rajdamri is re-opened. That may just have been a Sunday event.

All in all it's a bit better as of this morning. Just crowded.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 1:09 am

Programs: BA, EI, EY, TG, KL, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt,
Rajadamri is moving reasonably well...for BKK....
Old Mar 14, 2014, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I get the feeling that this is about to end. PDRC announced that they would no longer be demonstrating in front of Thaksin-connected businesses. There has been almost nightly shootings inside Lumpini (a couple of injuries on Withayu, stray bullets it's assumed) but the PDRC have refused to let the police into the Park to investigate. A few days ago they reversed and said the police can come in. No reports of shooting since then. And no more street marches down Ploenchit.

All this makes me think that there are talks going on behind the scene and both parties want things to stay calm so they can get to a resolution.

I'd still avoid Lumpini at night, but during the day it's OK.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
I get the feeling that this is about to end.
Way too premature to predict. Red Shirts mass rally at ayutthaya stadium?
Old Mar 16, 2014, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dtsm
Way too premature to predict. Red Shirts mass rally at ayutthaya stadium?
As long as it stays in the "rally" form, no concerns. Yet. It will depend on what happens in any talks.

In the meantime, I've noticed new military kiosks/bunkers on Lang Suan and Sarasin. 3 new ones, in all. Not sure the implication.

Also, since the PDRC let the police into Suan Lum, no new reports of shootings. So all in all it's safer. Still, avoid Lumpini Park at night. If you have to walk up Withayu, do it on the East side of the road.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No one was injured. This was originally reported as a bomb or grenade near the main entrance to Lumpini Park. Only one went off. Scared a few people, though.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingn...odes-on-rama-4
Old Mar 19, 2014, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Thailand State of Emergency Lifted

Thai Government Lifts State of Emergency Four Days Early

Thailand's government on Tuesday lifted a state of emergency in Bangkok and surrounding areas nearly two months after imposing it to curb anti-government protests, saying that the number of demonstrators has steadily declined.

The government decided to revoke the emergency decree, which expanded the power of security forces, four days before the originally scheduled expiration date after security agencies said the violence had "significantly decreased," said Department of Special Investigation chief Tharit Phengdit.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For those who have been running off to Pattaya to avoid the safety concerns in Bangkok, we were just informed that there will be a "Red Shirt" gathering in Pattaya this Saturday (22nd).

Also the popcorn gunman has been arrested and confessed to the shooting at Lak Si before the election. He says he was paid by the PDRC to be a guard. There may be some reaction from either side blaming him or blaming the police for obtaining a "confession".

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/loca...nman-confesses

So it's a good idea to stay alert this weekend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.