Reload this Page >

Safety of Travel in Thailand 2014 — Martial Law, Peaceful Military Coup

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2013, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
This thread is for posting questions and specific news/updates of direct relevance to those traveling in or to the area.
Discussion of underlying and peripheral issues, comparisons to similar past events, and speculation about future conditions
belong in OMNI/PR or the Thai News & Open Discussion Thread. Off-topic posts will be moved or deleted.
Thanks for your assistance.

Update

13 June 2014:

Curfew has been lifted nationwide.

Travel advisories issued by a number of foreign governments remain in place. Check your country's embassy or consular website for travel advice and updates.

Courts martial have been established for violators of criminal code sections dealing with lèse-majesté, and those covering the broad subject of "national security" (including civilian violators). The NCPO has warned that it will crackdown on anti-coup protests if they do not cease. Visitors are strongly advised to stay away from all political gatherings.

Media gag has been eased, but strict censorship orders are in place, with local press and broadcast outlets reporting only approved content. ISPs have been ordered to monitor social media, and to block disruptive or "negative" content. Accurate and comprehensive information remains difficult to obtain, both in and out of the country. Censorship violations are among those subject to courts martial.

Hotlines for Tourists in Thailand
  • TAT Call Centre 1672
  • Tourist Police Call Centre 1155
  • Traffic Police Call Centre 1197
  • BMTA (city bus and van service) Call Centre 1348
  • BTS Hotline +66 (0) 2617 6000
  • MRT Customer Relations Center +66 (0) 2624 5200
  • SRT (train service) Call Centre 1690
  • Transport Co., Ltd., (inter-provincial bus service) Call Centre 1490
  • AOT (Suvarnabhumi Airport) Call Centre 1722
  • Thai Airways International Call Centre +66 (0) 2356 1111
  • Bangkok Airways Call Centre 1771
  • Nok Air Call Centre 1318
  • Thai AirAsia Call Centre +66 (0) 2515 9999

Links to External Information Sources

Special thanks to FTer c_9 for initiating this Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Safety of Travel in Thailand 2014 — Martial Law, Peaceful Military Coup

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2014, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Mixed signals on security around the last protest area. The military has put up more bunkers in the area. I saw a new one at Chitlom and one on Sarasin. But at the same time the protesters have opened up the flyover for east bound traffic on Rama IV over Silom which has dramatically improved traffic flow. The only street blockage I know of now is on Ratchdamri on the west side of Suan Lum.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
The marches the last couple of days don't seem to have created any serious problems. More army kiosks have been set up on Ratchdamri. These seem to be set up in places that are visible to tourists, hoping to give a sense of security, as opposed to strategic spots regarding the protesters.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The protesters just finished their march down Lang Suan.

This is the way protests should be, IMO. March, sing, chant, carry signs (I could do without the loudspeakers, but This Is Thailand). Block the road for an hour while you march. Get your message across with offending everyone in sight. As opposed to blocking roads for months, destroying small businesses and hurting a lot of people.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With the planned Red Shirt protest, potential for conflict between the 2 protest groups is high. This would be a weekend to rent some videos and stay home.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 10:08 pm

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
Have the protests mainly quieted down now? I did a search on Google news and no stories came up for protests or violence recently. I'm staying one night at Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit, should I expect any issues?
Old Apr 29, 2014, 12:29 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The protesters are still there, mainly at Lumpini. But you wouldn't know that as the average tourist, there are no issues anymore.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RTW1
The protesters are still there, mainly at Lumpini. But you wouldn't know that as the average tourist, there are no issues anymore.
Abhisit is trying to negotiate some kind of settlement with PT. Whether that will work or not remains to be seen. Suthep is angry because he feels like he's been cut out of the process. His reaction if there is a settlement will determine the long term safety issues.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 7:54 pm

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
Thanks. I'll be there in a few weeks, so hopefully things remain relatively stable.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As of right this minute, nothing to worry about.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: IC Dia, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold, BA Gold
New election date 20 July

So read today that the election will be re-run on 20 July.

This is the day I have a transit in Bangkok for a night.

With Thailand seeming to be very polarised what are your thoughts on how the election is going to be received.

Appreciate this is a long way off but will be interesting to keep a watch on the atmosphere as the date approaches.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dewby
So read today that the election will be re-run on 20 July.

This is the day I have a transit in Bangkok for a night.

With Thailand seeming to be very polarised what are your thoughts on how the election is going to be received.

Appreciate this is a long way off but will be interesting to keep a watch on the atmosphere as the date approaches.
Abhisit is still trying to delay it, but it's likely to go off as planned. Suthep will likely threaten to interfere, but I doubt he can hold his coalition together for 3 more months. And if the Democrats agree to participate, even Suthep won't be able to stop it.

One thing to consider. A lot of people who transit Bangkok for a night like to enjoy a beer or two while they're at it. No alcohol sales on an election day.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by will5404
Have the protests mainly quieted down now? I did a search on Google news and no stories came up for protests or violence recently. I'm staying one night at Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit, should I expect any issues?
LOL .

Been here since last Sat, hotel next to Ratchadamri BTS n down street from Lumpini.....all is well. Plus slow season starting.....
Old May 1, 2014, 5:48 pm

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
Big protest event coming on 14 may 2014 suthep said last night, Beware
Old May 2, 2014, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by nongsom
well before the 14th we have the PDRC having a big rally on Monday and the Red Shirts rallying out Phutthamonton way in the west of BKK. Police are a little apprehension about potential clashes. http://www.bangkokpost.com/most-rece...protest-strife

It has been quiet since Songkhran but it is gearing up again. Last night a protester was hurt at Chaeng Wattana by a grenade explosion.
Old May 3, 2014, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nongsom
This will be about the 20th "Final Battle" that Suthep has announced. It's good to note that he's planning something, but he seems more and more impotent as the weeks go by.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.