Reload this Page >

Safety of Travel in Thailand 2014 — Martial Law, Peaceful Military Coup

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2013, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
This thread is for posting questions and specific news/updates of direct relevance to those traveling in or to the area.
Discussion of underlying and peripheral issues, comparisons to similar past events, and speculation about future conditions
belong in OMNI/PR or the Thai News & Open Discussion Thread. Off-topic posts will be moved or deleted.
Thanks for your assistance.

Update

13 June 2014:

Curfew has been lifted nationwide.

Travel advisories issued by a number of foreign governments remain in place. Check your country's embassy or consular website for travel advice and updates.

Courts martial have been established for violators of criminal code sections dealing with lèse-majesté, and those covering the broad subject of "national security" (including civilian violators). The NCPO has warned that it will crackdown on anti-coup protests if they do not cease. Visitors are strongly advised to stay away from all political gatherings.

Media gag has been eased, but strict censorship orders are in place, with local press and broadcast outlets reporting only approved content. ISPs have been ordered to monitor social media, and to block disruptive or "negative" content. Accurate and comprehensive information remains difficult to obtain, both in and out of the country. Censorship violations are among those subject to courts martial.

Hotlines for Tourists in Thailand
  • TAT Call Centre 1672
  • Tourist Police Call Centre 1155
  • Traffic Police Call Centre 1197
  • BMTA (city bus and van service) Call Centre 1348
  • BTS Hotline +66 (0) 2617 6000
  • MRT Customer Relations Center +66 (0) 2624 5200
  • SRT (train service) Call Centre 1690
  • Transport Co., Ltd., (inter-provincial bus service) Call Centre 1490
  • AOT (Suvarnabhumi Airport) Call Centre 1722
  • Thai Airways International Call Centre +66 (0) 2356 1111
  • Bangkok Airways Call Centre 1771
  • Nok Air Call Centre 1318
  • Thai AirAsia Call Centre +66 (0) 2515 9999

Links to External Information Sources

Special thanks to FTer c_9 for initiating this Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Safety of Travel in Thailand 2014 — Martial Law, Peaceful Military Coup

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2014, 7:58 pm

Programs: Lufthansa FTL, HHonors Gold, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
It seems that - fortunately - we're moving in the right direction: http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/loca...down-shut-down
Old Mar 1, 2014, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
I did my standard daily 5k in Lumpini this morning. It may be a while before I do it again. Not for safety reasons, but because the mob is moving into Lumpini and erecting barriers, stages, parking cars and buses, etc. and making it nearly impossible to jog the loop around the park. Not completely impossible, but it's becoming an obstacle course which kind of takes the fun out of it. And with more scheduled to move in today and tomorrow it is just too crowded.

This will raise other security issues. When that many people get crammed into one spot for too long, friction rises. Squabbles over camp sites, noise, drinking, are likely to lead to the occasional "disagreement".

This is the last stand for Suthep. Things will be over by May. When the first Paiyoo blows through Bangkok it will flood out half the campers. Suthep knows that so he has to do something before then. The army reiterated its stand against a coup, but if the violence increases it may force their hand.

The math on those 2 statements doesn't bode well for peace and security in April.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 8:19 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
With fewer protest sites, I'd think the average tourist's visit to Bangkok just got quite a bit safer.

Last edited by Diplomatico; Mar 2, 2014 at 3:31 am
Old Mar 2, 2014, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
I was at Pathumwan this afternoon. The intersection is almost cleared. All the large structures are gone, but there is a whole lot of little things to move, followed by some cleanup. They may have the intersection opened today. If not, Monday morning they should be finished.

A couple of new police bunkers have been set up around Lumpini Park and some existing ones "reinforced".
Old Mar 2, 2014, 10:53 pm

Asoke intersection reopened last night and the long missed peak hour traffic jam was evident this morning. Police are saying that both Ratchaprasong and Pathuwan will progressively open this morning/today and should be fully open by afternoon. Ratchadamri rd past Lumpini is apparently a complete traffic nightmare at the moment.....so use the BTS and give it a big miss.

Just to confirm that there are still the following protests sites:

1) Lumpini (The main consolidated PDRC site), concentrated towards the SW gate near to Silom rd,

2) Chaeng Wattana (PDRC led by Issara) near the Government Complex,

3) Nai Lern at Chaimai Maruchet bridge (Students & PCAD) Govt House & Ratchadamnoen Nok ave,

4) Plus I forgot that the Interior Ministry is still occupied by the unionists.

The red shirts are still at the NACC in Nonthaburi as of yesterday.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

True to their word, they cleared the intersections that they promised to clear and now they are doing "hit and run" protests. They converge on a protest site, stage a demonstration, then leave. I drove past Shinawatra Tower 3 at around 8:30 this morning and there were about 50 motorcycles parked on the street as they were preparing to picket the building. I went past again about about 13:15 and they're all gone. Similarly this morning I saw a convoy of pickup trucks (5 or 6) and 30 or so motorcycles. The lead truck had the loud speakers blaring and the other trucks were full of protesters. This was at the Morchit BTS station. Didn't see where they ended up.

For the people of BKK and for visitors, this is a lot better. No major traffic problems and no safety concerns. If I get a chance I'm going to Lumpini in the next couple of days to see what that's like.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 4:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

No longer very relevant, but when I was in BKK last week there was no issue with getting to/through the Asoke "camp". The place was only lightly "populated" and resembled a street market more than anything else. I was able to walk from the Sheraton down to Emporium without any issues.

There were more tents pitched down Sukhumvit road, closing 1 lane on each side, for the section from Asoke to Ploen Chit. Beyond that, I saw no evidence of any other impact in the Sukhumvit area compared to a visit 4 months ago.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:29 am

We may be in Bangkok around Songkran.
The protest situation seems to be pretty fluid but any thoughts on what the impacts to Songkran may be and safety around the associated festivities?
Old Mar 4, 2014, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jay71
We may be in Bangkok around Songkran.
The protest situation seems to be pretty fluid but any thoughts on what the impacts to Songkran may be and safety around the associated festivities?
For Songkran in general, no issues whatsoever. Except at Lumpini Park. Alcohol causes enough problems during Songkran without the added fuel of a crowded protest area.

So stay away from Lumpini Park, Khao San Road and Pattaya. The latter 2 strictly because of the odds of getting accidentally injured by someone who enjoying himself a bit too much.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I noticed a few more soldiers around Lumpini Park this morning. Not a lot, maybe a couple of dozen. They didn't seem to be involved in any particular activity, so no indication of a problem. I've also seen that the army has stationed 2 or 3 soldiers at many BTS stations. The ones I've seen are in full camo but aren't armed. More like spotters or medics.

Suthep hasn't been seen for a couple of days. Reports are simply that he's ill.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 7:55 pm

I'd rather be in BKK during a full scale civil war than Songkran !
Old Mar 4, 2014, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by whackyjacky

I've always been upcountry or out of country. Count me as another with no desire to be in Bangkok during that week.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by whackyjacky

In the 7 or so years we've had a home in Bangkok, I've managed to avoid being in town for songkran every single year. This year, however, looks like it could be be the exception, unless I can successfully accompany Mr Abroad on his business trip out of the country! Fingers crossed…
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:33 am

To follow on from Mondays grenade attack, last night 2 grenades were thrown/left at two locations. Thankfully, no injuries:

1) NACC offices in Nonthaburi where the Chaeng Wattana protest site is located,
englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bomb-attack-nacc/

2) A grenade was left outside PRDC leaders house in Sukhumvit soi 18 this morning,
http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingn...rc-leader-home

Yes grenades. Please none of the previous ludicrous, delusion claims that no grenades have been used in the last 2 months.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 5:14 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
19 OT political chatter posts deleted.

Regards Oliver2002
Senior mod

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.