Reload this Page >

Safety of Travel in Thailand 2014 — Martial Law, Peaceful Military Coup

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2013, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
This thread is for posting questions and specific news/updates of direct relevance to those traveling in or to the area.
Discussion of underlying and peripheral issues, comparisons to similar past events, and speculation about future conditions
belong in OMNI/PR or the Thai News & Open Discussion Thread. Off-topic posts will be moved or deleted.
Thanks for your assistance.

Update

13 June 2014:

Curfew has been lifted nationwide.

Travel advisories issued by a number of foreign governments remain in place. Check your country's embassy or consular website for travel advice and updates.

Courts martial have been established for violators of criminal code sections dealing with lèse-majesté, and those covering the broad subject of "national security" (including civilian violators). The NCPO has warned that it will crackdown on anti-coup protests if they do not cease. Visitors are strongly advised to stay away from all political gatherings.

Media gag has been eased, but strict censorship orders are in place, with local press and broadcast outlets reporting only approved content. ISPs have been ordered to monitor social media, and to block disruptive or "negative" content. Accurate and comprehensive information remains difficult to obtain, both in and out of the country. Censorship violations are among those subject to courts martial.

Hotlines for Tourists in Thailand
  • TAT Call Centre 1672
  • Tourist Police Call Centre 1155
  • Traffic Police Call Centre 1197
  • BMTA (city bus and van service) Call Centre 1348
  • BTS Hotline +66 (0) 2617 6000
  • MRT Customer Relations Center +66 (0) 2624 5200
  • SRT (train service) Call Centre 1690
  • Transport Co., Ltd., (inter-provincial bus service) Call Centre 1490
  • AOT (Suvarnabhumi Airport) Call Centre 1722
  • Thai Airways International Call Centre +66 (0) 2356 1111
  • Bangkok Airways Call Centre 1771
  • Nok Air Call Centre 1318
  • Thai AirAsia Call Centre +66 (0) 2515 9999

Links to External Information Sources

Special thanks to FTer c_9 for initiating this Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Safety of Travel in Thailand 2014 — Martial Law, Peaceful Military Coup

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by travelinterpreters
We have a flight our of DM airport on the 27th. Even though the last last stand is scheduled to end on the 26th, should we plan on several hours to get to the airport from our riverside hotel? Yes, I know there is no crystal ball, just trying to get a better understanding of what to expect. Thanks!
I'm going to guess "no". If the protests are over then there will be no problem. If they aren't over then it will be pretty much as it is not. Getting to DM is a traffic problem rather than a protest problem. As long as you take the highway you'll probably not even be aware that there is a protest.
Old May 18, 2014, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by northsideguy
Thanks for the information. I will (or maybe I won't) be in Bangkok later this month. I don't know the area well, but I'm staying at the Rennasiance. I know they were suppose to leave the park, which was only a couple blocks away. Would you be able to provide a little more detailed information of where to stay away. Thanks again, and safe travels.
They left the park "on schedule". But it didn't re-open until today (Monday). According to a security person at my apartment the police found a couple of grenades in the park after the protesters left so they kept it closed a few extra days to do security sweeps.

That's entirely anecdotal. Haven't seen anything in the press. But I saw joggers in the park this morning while I was on my way to work, so it's open and presumed safe.
Old May 19, 2014, 5:08 pm
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Reported on the BBC.

The army in Thailand has announced the imposition of martial law amid political crisis "to keep law and order".

The army has also granted itself wide-ranging powers to enforce its decision.
I hope this is resolved soon and safely.
Old May 19, 2014, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hvr
Reported on the BBC.

I hope this is resolved soon and safely.
Me, too. Nothing really noticeable this morning except a few soldiers on foot patrol at Ladprao intersection. This appears to be more precautionary than anything else. The devices found at Lumpini last week, the grenade attack at Government House a couple of days ago, some kind of "event" yesterday at Shinawatra Tower 3 yesterday; I think these things just prompted the army to put some controls in place to prevent it from escalating during the "final battle" that is supposed to end next Monday.
Old May 19, 2014, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Me, too. Nothing really noticeable this morning except a few soldiers on foot patrol at Ladprao intersection. This appears to be more precautionary than anything else. The devices found at Lumpini last week, the grenade attack at Government House a couple of days ago, some kind of "event" yesterday at Shinawatra Tower 3 yesterday; I think these things just prompted the army to put some controls in place to prevent it from escalating during the "final battle" that is supposed to end next Monday.
I've been keeping an eye on this thread as I'm planning a potential vacation to Thailand and Cambodia in the fall. I appreciate the updates from you and others there in BKK. I'm wavering a little now but will continue to monitor these updates.

Stay safe!
Old May 19, 2014, 10:27 pm

Martial Law Declared By Army

Hello! While I was flying into BBK from FRA, the Army declared Martial Law throughout Thailand. Great I just get here and this happens. Got to catch a flight to HKT but I wanted to spread the news. Safe Travels!
Old May 19, 2014, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JBord
I've been keeping an eye on this thread as I'm planning a potential vacation to Thailand and Cambodia in the fall. I appreciate the updates from you and others there in BKK. I'm wavering a little now but will continue to monitor these updates.

Stay safe!
Don't waver! Right now the Kingdom is as safe as any other country. Avoid the 2 protest sites, neither of which are in prime tourist areas (although 1 is near Khao San Road) and you're fine. If things do go sideways they'll get resolved long before fall.
Old May 19, 2014, 11:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
PSA: from US Embassy

Email from US Citizens Services [emphasis added]:
US Embassy Bangkok, Thailand
Security Message

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

This message is to inform U.S. citizens that the Royal Thai Army has invoked martial law throughout Thailand, effective 3:00 AM Tuesday May 20, 2014. According to a Royal Thai Army announcement, the military has assumed responsibility for maintaining peace and order. Martial law gives the military certain expanded authorities to ensure public security and safety. According to media reports, Thailand’s constitution and caretaker government remain in place. U.S. citizens are advised to stay alert, exercise caution, and monitor media coverage. You are advised to avoid areas where there are protest events, large gatherings, or security operations and follow the instructions of Thai authorities.

U.S. citizens are cautioned that even demonstrations that are meant to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid protest sites, demonstrations, and large gatherings. Be alert and aware of your surroundings and pay attention to local news media reports. You should allow extra time when travelling throughout the city or to/from airports. Consider using public transportation.

U.S. citizens who travel to or reside in Thailand are strongly advised to enroll in the State Department's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) https://step.state.gov/step/. U.S. citizens without Internet access may enroll directly with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. By enrolling, you make it easier for the U.S. embassy or consulate to contact you in case of an emergency.
Old May 20, 2014, 12:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Absolute Bollocks.

I happen to be here right now. No different than any other time, and I've been here thru 3 coups.

The bahts dropped nicely, letting my spending go further, but otherwise.. business as usual.
Old May 20, 2014, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deadinabsentia
Absolute Bollocks.

I happen to be here right now. No different than any other time, and I've been here thru 3 coups.

The bahts dropped nicely, letting my spending go further, but otherwise.. business as usual.
I agree. But the embassy has an obligation to look at the worst possible scenario. They're over-reacting, but imagine what they'd be hit by if they *under* reacted and something happened.

I've also been here for several of these. No problem for tourists or for people in general.

In the meantime, PDRC and UDD have both just announced that they are calling off their planned demonstrations for this weekend. Which is what the Martial Law declaration was designed to do.
Old May 20, 2014, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Absolute Bollocks.

Further proof to back up what you're saying. This article pretty much sums up the attitude toward Martial Law here in Bangkok.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/most-rece...ise-to-selfies
Old May 20, 2014, 1:41 am

It should be noted that there are numerous sites with soldiers today primarily at key govt buildings, media HQs, the courts and key road intersections, BTS/MRT stations etc, pic.twitter.com/hmIBParldT
http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/tro...ntrol-capital/

A security advisor friend suggested that a few thousand soldiers have been deployed around the city, or are on call for rapid deployment. - remember BKK is a big city with many govt buildings /strategic infrastructure in outer areas.

The heart of BKK at Ratchaprasong for example (http://t.co/7eGexVzO7z), has a number of soldiers stationed around there and outside police HQ. (This is where most international media are doing stand ups and it is a 5 min walk from their offices!)

The fad for the day for many thai office workers - I've seen a bunch or people doing such - (mainly anti-govt or PRDC supporters) is to take selfies with the soldiers. Thus, it is obviously all relaxed., bangkokpost.com/most-recent/410781/thailand-…

Colleagues out near Government House and the main PDRC protest site report many soldiers having taken up key positions but no real tension as would be expected given that the PDRC would welcome the actions of the military. People staying near KSR would probably be seeing new military check points around the area.

Things are a bit tense reportedly out at the red shirt (pro govt.) rally in the far west of BKK with the army having surrounded them reportedly seeking for them to disperse. The army will be bending over backwards to avoid violence there but the red shirts won't want to disperse and the is a potential for it to get violent. nationmultimedia.com/politics/Soldiers-surro… (Thai news reports are a bit more informative)

http://t.co/aYSOmHsNti

On the one hand martial law will actually make the city safer in the short term. However, on the other hand the propensity for a strong backlash by govt supporters, especially if this is viewed to be a prelude to a coup, could be fierce in the medium term. It should be noted that there are clear factions and significant divisions in the military. Also, that in the past there have been groups who have not been afraid to attack the military.

We'll just have to wait to see how it unfolds. Now one on TA can say what will happen in the future. If you have concerns about travel to BKK in the next week or so, perhaps the suggestion should be to see how things unfold in the next 48-72 hrs.

Do remember that martial law applies to the whole country, though obviously BKK is the epicenter.
Old May 20, 2014, 1:48 am

Travel wise, remember that most travel insurance policies will normally be voided or have severe limitations if you travel to a state where martial law has been declared. Similarly, many companies have policies prohibiting travel to a country under martial law so I'd expect to see a load of business trips canceled or deferred in the next 48hrs.

For outbound pax in the next 72hrs TG & AOT are stating to allow extra time to get to the airport and to check in 3 hrs ahead, "Thai Airways advises passengers to go to Suvarnabhumi airport at least 3 hours before departure and to use internet check-in service /MCOT"

A number of roads have either been closed, had lanes closed to have security check points limiting movement. The Nation did a summary earlier in the day but no doubt this has expanded, http://www.nationmultimedia.com/poli...-30234057.html
Old May 20, 2014, 1:56 am

Absolute Bollocks.

Actually, no coup as yet but we may well be on that path.

So you were here during the last 3 coups in Oct 76, Feb 91 (and the subsequent May 92 bloody crackdown) and Sept 2006?? The first two involved significant deaths, injuries and disappearances with many civilians killed! So you are contradicting yourself.
Old May 20, 2014, 3:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Originally Posted by Yappofloyd
Actually, no coup as yet but we may well be on that path.

So you were here during the last 3 coups in Oct 76, Feb 91 (and the subsequent May 92 bloody crackdown) and Sept 2006?? The first two involved significant deaths, injuries and disappearances with many civilians killed! So you are contradicting yourself.

I've been here in 92' and 06'.. this is my third.

I've has ZERO issues with all of them.

I was intact married during the 06' one, and all the guests came from overseas. No one had a problem.

Perhaps this is scary to those who don't travel, and perhaps those people shouldn't travel.. Anyway, off to the beach for some Sangsom/Cokes and the sunset.. Sawadee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.