Reload this Page >

Safety of Travel in Thailand 2014 — Martial Law, Peaceful Military Coup

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2013, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
This thread is for posting questions and specific news/updates of direct relevance to those traveling in or to the area.
Discussion of underlying and peripheral issues, comparisons to similar past events, and speculation about future conditions
belong in OMNI/PR or the Thai News & Open Discussion Thread. Off-topic posts will be moved or deleted.
Thanks for your assistance.

Update

13 June 2014:

Curfew has been lifted nationwide.

Travel advisories issued by a number of foreign governments remain in place. Check your country's embassy or consular website for travel advice and updates.

Courts martial have been established for violators of criminal code sections dealing with lèse-majesté, and those covering the broad subject of "national security" (including civilian violators). The NCPO has warned that it will crackdown on anti-coup protests if they do not cease. Visitors are strongly advised to stay away from all political gatherings.

Media gag has been eased, but strict censorship orders are in place, with local press and broadcast outlets reporting only approved content. ISPs have been ordered to monitor social media, and to block disruptive or "negative" content. Accurate and comprehensive information remains difficult to obtain, both in and out of the country. Censorship violations are among those subject to courts martial.

Hotlines for Tourists in Thailand
  • TAT Call Centre 1672
  • Tourist Police Call Centre 1155
  • Traffic Police Call Centre 1197
  • BMTA (city bus and van service) Call Centre 1348
  • BTS Hotline +66 (0) 2617 6000
  • MRT Customer Relations Center +66 (0) 2624 5200
  • SRT (train service) Call Centre 1690
  • Transport Co., Ltd., (inter-provincial bus service) Call Centre 1490
  • AOT (Suvarnabhumi Airport) Call Centre 1722
  • Thai Airways International Call Centre +66 (0) 2356 1111
  • Bangkok Airways Call Centre 1771
  • Nok Air Call Centre 1318
  • Thai AirAsia Call Centre +66 (0) 2515 9999

Links to External Information Sources

Special thanks to FTer c_9 for initiating this Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Safety of Travel in Thailand 2014 — Martial Law, Peaceful Military Coup

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2014, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
apologies if this has been reported previously, but perhaps worth reiterating...

read on another bulletin board that despite travel being allowed to and from the airport during curfew hours, some taxi drivers are not willing to leave bangkok city (for the airport) after around 730pm at night.
Old May 24, 2014, 4:06 am

Phuket safe

We have landed in Phuket today (family including kids 11,7). We landed at the airport, rented a car and drove to Patong to our hotel.

Everything peaceful, no sign of any kind of disturbance of any kind.

Our hotel just informs us that Patong will have a curfew from 10pm to 5am but besides that its business as usual.

The flight in was light and i cant say if it was due to the martial law or low season - maybe both.

All entertainment channels are working (HBO, Fox, AXN, MTV, many others) - some news channels are down but many are working - News Asia, NKK, DW, Al Jazeera etc

Overall - no need to cancel related to the martial coup for Phuket as of now.
Old May 24, 2014, 7:33 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by indiantraveller
We have landed in Phuket today (family including kids 11,7). We landed at the airport, rented a car and drove to Patong to our hotel.

Everything peaceful, no sign of any kind of disturbance of any kind.

Our hotel just informs us that Patong will have a curfew from 10pm to 5am but besides that its business as usual.

The flight in was light and i cant say if it was due to the martial law or low season - maybe both.

All entertainment channels are working (HBO, Fox, AXN, MTV, many others) - some news channels are down but many are working - News Asia, NKK, DW, Al Jazeera etc

Overall - no need to cancel related to the martial coup for Phuket as of now.
Great news for you! I am glad your holiday was not impacted.

We travel later in the year. I am wondering about late arriving flights to Phuket. We will land at 23:59 and need to transfer to the JW Marriott. We connect through BKK with Cathay Flight arriving 6pm. Leaving BKK 11pm or so.

1) Its a bit away from the trip. A strong chance this will pass by then.
2) If not, will transportation be a concern to the hotel? We will likely arrange in advance through the hotel.

Last edited by Mr. Vker; May 24, 2014 at 9:38 am
Old May 24, 2014, 8:50 am

Arrived at DMK a couple hours ago (~1930 local). Seemed pretty quiet at the airport (though it's my first time here, so not sure if that's normal). Heading out tomorrow with a friend.
Old May 24, 2014, 9:34 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by Kacee
This is exactly how I feel.

The risk of being caught in violence seems sufficiently remote not to affect my decision making.

But the curfew is 100% not consistent with my idea of "vacation."
Agree, in BKK now, vaca sorta ruined by this little curfew. The real hassle is not the danger of violence, coup, protest, civil disobedience, but rather, re-adjusting entire schedule and having to eat dinner at 6pm since restaurants and shopping malls close down around 8pm.

There's also a sense of stress and anxiety from the locals who have to rush home before 9PM (when BTS and MTR shut down). Also feel bad for those who depend on working at night to make a living (night markets, food stalls, bars, etc.)
Old May 24, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
We travel later in the year. I am wondering about late arriving flights to Phuket. We will land at 23:59 and need to transfer to the JW Marriott. We connect through BKK with Cathay Flight arriving 6pm. Leaving BKK 11pm or so.

2) If not, will transportation be a concern to the hotel? We will likely arrange in advance through the hotel.
Impossible to know future conditions. At present, airport taxis are operating as usual, and transportation from the airport to hotels is not a problem.

Fwiw, I'm hearing a rumor from a variety of usually-reliable sources that the curfew will be shortened on Sunday or Monday, going into effect at midnight instead of 10pm.

Also, many/most locals seem to believe the curfew will be lifted altogether very soon (once the junta has finished its purge and completed the administrative takeover).

Purely speculative, but possibly something to keep in mind when deciding whether to travel.
Old May 24, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad
Impossible to know future conditions. At present, airport taxis are operating as usual, and transportation from the airport to hotels is not a problem.

Fwiw, I'm hearing a rumor from a variety of usually-reliable sources that the curfew will be shortened on Sunday or Monday, going into effect at midnight instead of 10pm.

Also, many/most locals seem to believe the curfew will be lifted altogether very soon (once the junta has finished its purge and completed the administrative takeover).

Purely speculative, but possibly something to keep in mind when deciding whether to travel.
Thanks for the info!
Old May 24, 2014, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Great news for you! I am glad your holiday was not impacted.

Up the thread someone reported getting a card after landing late saying they just landed to show the Army at a checkpoint.
Old May 24, 2014, 3:22 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Somehow I think that dissolving the Senate and firing the police chief make yesterday's rumor of an easing up, yesterday's rumors. Will be interesting to see what today brings. Debating moving my flight out from tomorrow to today.
Old May 24, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Somehow I think that dissolving the Senate and firing the police chief make yesterday's rumor of an easing up, yesterday's rumors. Will be interesting to see what today brings. Debating moving my flight out from tomorrow to today.
Agreed, things appear slightly more ominous, IMO. I've already postponed my scheduled return to Thailand twice now...waiting to see how things settle out.
Old May 25, 2014, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
As of Sunday afternoon, there is an ongoing Red Shirt demonstration at Ratchprasong. Ploenchit west bound is closed by the police at Chidlom. According to the BKK Post, BTS has closed the Ploenchit and Chidlom stations.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/most-rece...idlom-stations
Old May 25, 2014, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Sunday, nearly 6 p.m. here.

Curfew: Mostly obeyed. There are loads of taxis and tuktuks on the street after 2200 along with some pedestrians, mostly falang (I'm staying at SGS so everything in this post refers to this immediate area.) There are almost no private vehicles on the roads. Staff here report that they can drive home after 2200 but they are stopped at one of the military checkpoints and must show their SGS ID and explain that they were working later than the curfew. Taxis to and from the airport are exempt, but there are some unconfirmed reports that the military randomly stops taxis and requests evidence of your flight. Many food stalls are open after 2200, I noticed a group on Asok near the Suk intersection.

TV: At SGS, all TV stations are back on. Last night one of my friends staying at WGS was still not receiving CNN although I was watching it at the same moment (we were texting).

General: Yesterday morning I walked from SGS to Siam Paragon and didn't see any evidence of any military presence, -- not a single soldier. Nor were there any military vehicles or encampments. Also took a detour down Wireless Road. There was no additional security at any of the embassies I walked by, Vietnam, Netherlands and U.S. As you may know, the U.S. Embassy has property on both sides of the street. On the PA side it's the Consular Services section. Each side had the lone, unarmed private security guard it usually does. At the street entrance to the Ambassador's residence, there was also the customary lone Royal Thai Police car, although its presumed occupant was nowhere to be seen.

As I reported in the SGS thread, tourism continues to decline, at least judging from the guests here. Breakfast is less than half full, BarSu is now closed again and there was no trouble this weekend getting the lounge of your choice at the pool, regardless of the time of day. SGS certainly picked the right time to be closing floors down for renovation!!
Old May 25, 2014, 7:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1P, SPG Plat75, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
As of Sunday afternoon, there is an ongoing Red Shirt demonstration at Ratchprasong. Ploenchit west bound is closed by the police at Chidlom. According to the BKK Post, BTS has closed the Ploenchit and Chidlom stations.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/most-rece...idlom-stations
The protesters left the Ratchprasong/Chidlom area just before 3pm today and marched to the Victory Monument. Chidlom and Ploenchip BTS stations re-opened later this afternoon, but the Victory Monument BTS was closed around 5pm. The last I've heard is that traffic is starting to open up at Victory Monument - not sure if BTS is still closed or if there are still protesters there.

Given the fluidity and quickly-changing protest locations, I would encourage those interested in keeping track of real-time protest activity to follow Richard Barrow (see wiki for link) or BBC's Jonah Fisher, as they have been providing regular updates via Twitter. Protest locations and marches/parades can also arise spontaneously arise, so it's always best to remain alert to sudden changes while out and about in Bangkok.
Old May 25, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, National Executive
Going back for third time this year in but only connecting BKK to CNX, leave CNX straight to HKG. Hope this gets straightened out by then too but last 24-36 hours aren't looking promising for immediate trends 'for the better'. Long way for a wedding and khao soi but I'd still rather go again for 72 hrs than not go at all -- we're gluttons
Old May 25, 2014, 12:15 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Haven't seen soldiers around Asoke. Massage shops down some side Sois are open until 1AM as usual and have been every night. Reports are that some of the more colorful nightlife was closed the first night, some opened the second night until midnight, then most opened and are pushing the envelope beyond midnight. Streets are very empty but plenty of taxis and tuk tuks cruising looking for pax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.