Reload this Page >

Safety of Travel in Thailand 2014 — Martial Law, Peaceful Military Coup

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2013, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
This thread is for posting questions and specific news/updates of direct relevance to those traveling in or to the area.
Discussion of underlying and peripheral issues, comparisons to similar past events, and speculation about future conditions
belong in OMNI/PR or the Thai News & Open Discussion Thread. Off-topic posts will be moved or deleted.
Thanks for your assistance.

Update

13 June 2014:

Curfew has been lifted nationwide.

Travel advisories issued by a number of foreign governments remain in place. Check your country's embassy or consular website for travel advice and updates.

Courts martial have been established for violators of criminal code sections dealing with lèse-majesté, and those covering the broad subject of "national security" (including civilian violators). The NCPO has warned that it will crackdown on anti-coup protests if they do not cease. Visitors are strongly advised to stay away from all political gatherings.

Media gag has been eased, but strict censorship orders are in place, with local press and broadcast outlets reporting only approved content. ISPs have been ordered to monitor social media, and to block disruptive or "negative" content. Accurate and comprehensive information remains difficult to obtain, both in and out of the country. Censorship violations are among those subject to courts martial.

Hotlines for Tourists in Thailand
  • TAT Call Centre 1672
  • Tourist Police Call Centre 1155
  • Traffic Police Call Centre 1197
  • BMTA (city bus and van service) Call Centre 1348
  • BTS Hotline +66 (0) 2617 6000
  • MRT Customer Relations Center +66 (0) 2624 5200
  • SRT (train service) Call Centre 1690
  • Transport Co., Ltd., (inter-provincial bus service) Call Centre 1490
  • AOT (Suvarnabhumi Airport) Call Centre 1722
  • Thai Airways International Call Centre +66 (0) 2356 1111
  • Bangkok Airways Call Centre 1771
  • Nok Air Call Centre 1318
  • Thai AirAsia Call Centre +66 (0) 2515 9999

Links to External Information Sources

Special thanks to FTer c_9 for initiating this Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Safety of Travel in Thailand 2014 — Martial Law, Peaceful Military Coup

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2014, 9:59 pm

With the new curfew times note that BTS & MRT & ARL & BRT will all operate until 11pm.
Old May 28, 2014, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
The government just announced they are blocking Facebook. According to the BKK Post it's been unavailable since 3:00 PM local time. I wonder if discussion sites like this might be next.
Old May 28, 2014, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Apparently someone thought better of it. FB is back. Still can't get CNN or BBC.
Old May 28, 2014, 7:25 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; GT-I8730 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Hmm - I could access FN and my feed shows countless others can, too...
Old May 29, 2014, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yesterday the army showed up en masse to prevent a demonstration at Victory Monument. 1,300 soldiers and police according to the BKK Post. It worked, but the risk of the other side escalating to match is very real. This might be a good time to avoid that part of the city.
Old May 31, 2014, 12:31 am

Programs: DL DM/MM
Question Train Service from Bangkok to Chiang Mai

I'm supposed to take an overnight train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai in late July. Has train service been disrupted or affected in any way due to the curfew restrictions?
Old May 31, 2014, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Army has announced it's closing down Ratchprasong on Sunday. In addition, Ploenchit from Chidlom to Siam Paragon and Rajdamri. BTS won't stop at Ploenchit, Chidlom or Rajdamri stations.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/most-rece...-closed-sunday
Old May 31, 2014, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
I'm supposed to take an overnight train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai in late July. Has train service been disrupted or affected in any way due to the curfew restrictions?
No, it only gets disrupted when it goes careening off the tracks every 2 weeks or so.
Old May 31, 2014, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by whackyjacky
No, it only gets disrupted when it goes careening off the tracks every 2 weeks or so.
Took the words right out of my mouth, WJ.
Old May 31, 2014, 5:44 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM
Originally Posted by whackyjacky
For real though? Has train service been "de-railed" with the curfew :P?
Old May 31, 2014, 7:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
For real though? Has train service been "de-railed" with the curfew :P?
For real. Take a plane
Old Jun 1, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Just returned after 8 days in BKK and can say that apart from the curfew we did not encounter any problems at all.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 7:37 am

Programs: BA Silver
Email from foreign office

New and updated content matching your subscription to "Thailand - travel advice"

Thailand travel advice
03-06-2014 12:31 PM BST
Latest update: Summary - curfew lifted in Pattaya, Koh Samui and Phuket
Old Jun 4, 2014, 10:15 pm

In BKK at the moment on holiday, the main army presence I noticed was at the Baiyoke tower hotel.

The tour operators I have encountered so far have said business has dipped significantly.

We have almost had the majority of attractions to ourselves. Good for us, bad for the tourist traders.

If it wasn't for the news, you would (as a tourist) never think anything was going on.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 9:55 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Twitter is atwitter with news of the immediate lifting of the curfew in Cha Am, Hua Hin, Krabi and Phang Nga.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.