Reload this Page >

Safety of Travel in Thailand 2014 — Martial Law, Peaceful Military Coup

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2013, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
This thread is for posting questions and specific news/updates of direct relevance to those traveling in or to the area.
Discussion of underlying and peripheral issues, comparisons to similar past events, and speculation about future conditions
belong in OMNI/PR or the Thai News & Open Discussion Thread. Off-topic posts will be moved or deleted.
Thanks for your assistance.

Update

13 June 2014:

Curfew has been lifted nationwide.

Travel advisories issued by a number of foreign governments remain in place. Check your country's embassy or consular website for travel advice and updates.

Courts martial have been established for violators of criminal code sections dealing with lèse-majesté, and those covering the broad subject of "national security" (including civilian violators). The NCPO has warned that it will crackdown on anti-coup protests if they do not cease. Visitors are strongly advised to stay away from all political gatherings.

Media gag has been eased, but strict censorship orders are in place, with local press and broadcast outlets reporting only approved content. ISPs have been ordered to monitor social media, and to block disruptive or "negative" content. Accurate and comprehensive information remains difficult to obtain, both in and out of the country. Censorship violations are among those subject to courts martial.

Hotlines for Tourists in Thailand
  • TAT Call Centre 1672
  • Tourist Police Call Centre 1155
  • Traffic Police Call Centre 1197
  • BMTA (city bus and van service) Call Centre 1348
  • BTS Hotline +66 (0) 2617 6000
  • MRT Customer Relations Center +66 (0) 2624 5200
  • SRT (train service) Call Centre 1690
  • Transport Co., Ltd., (inter-provincial bus service) Call Centre 1490
  • AOT (Suvarnabhumi Airport) Call Centre 1722
  • Thai Airways International Call Centre +66 (0) 2356 1111
  • Bangkok Airways Call Centre 1771
  • Nok Air Call Centre 1318
  • Thai AirAsia Call Centre +66 (0) 2515 9999

Links to External Information Sources

Special thanks to FTer c_9 for initiating this Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Safety of Travel in Thailand 2014 — Martial Law, Peaceful Military Coup

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2014, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by ThaiThai
I don't want to tell you what to do, as each person has different risk tolerances about situations like this. I will, however, give you my personal perspective. I live in Bangkok, which is considered the "most unstable" area of the country, and I would have absolutely zero qualms about a trip to Koh Samui. I have not heard of any political activity/conflict/instability in that area, and aside from the curfew - all reports indicate life has been going on as usual. During the coup in 2006 and the 2010 unrest, life went on as usual in Koh Samui as well.

We have plans for six separate visitors to stay with us in Bangkok over the next month, along with trips to Chiang Mai and Phuket. The situation here is stable for now, and we do not plan to make any changes to our visitors' travel unless things drastically spiral out of control. While nobody knows what the future will bring, I do not feel unsafe or in danger. Thailand is a beautiful country with such hospitable people - it would be a shame to miss out.

That said, you have to do what you think is right for you and your girlfriend. If the stress of traveling to a country under martial law would prevent you from relaxing and truly enjoying your vacation, then perhaps the Bahamas would be a more suitable location. Good luck in your decision making!

I really appreciate your reply, thank you.

I've been on the phone to BA who the flights and holiday are booked through and will just wait and see what happens in the next few days.

Have a back up plan found just in case i have to change plans.

Thanks again for your reply.

Jonny

Last edited by jonnymcg; May 23, 2014 at 7:21 am
Old May 23, 2014, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
There are anti military protests going on at Pathumwan intersection. Only about 100 people. I saw plenty of soldiers but they were just taking photos of the protesters. This was about 6:00 PM. Don't know how long the military will allow it to go on.
Old May 23, 2014, 7:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1P, SPG Plat75, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by jonnymcg
I really appreciate your reply, thank you.

I've been on the phone to BA who the flights and holiday are booked through and will just wait and see what happens in the next few days.

Have a back up plan found just in case i have to change plans.

Thanks again for your reply.

Jonny
Happy to help, and I hope you have a wonderful vacation. The Bahamas are beautiful and have lovely beaches. Cheers.
Old May 23, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
U.S.. Embassy Bangkok Security Message for U.S. Citizens:
Security Situation in Thailand
May 23, 2014

The U.S. Embassy in Bangkok recommends that U.S. citizens reconsider any non-essential travel to Thailand, particularly Bangkok, due to ongoing political and social unrest and restrictions on internal movements, including an indefinite nighttime curfew.

On May 22, 2014 the Royal Thai Army announced it had seized control of the administration of the country and imposed a nationwide daily curfew from 10:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. until further notice, a ban on political gatherings, and restrictions on media. More restrictions may follow. As a result, U.S. citizens may encounter a heightened military presence throughout Thailand, particularly in Bangkok, as well as disruptions to traffic. Allow extra time for journeys, including to and from Bangkok airports. Public transportation and business operating hours may be curtailed without notice. Authorities have advised that the curfew does not apply to those travelling to or from the airport, but departing or arriving travelers should be prepared to present their passports and tickets to authorities upon request. U.S. citizens are advised to stay alert, exercise caution, and monitor international and Thai media that remains accessible. Avoid areas where there are protest events, large gatherings, or security operations and follow the instructions of Thai authorities. Although many protest activities have been peaceful, violent incidents involving guns and explosive devices have occurred at or near protest sites. Some have resulted in injury or death...
Old May 23, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: trash airline program here
My girlfriend and I just changed the first destination of our SE asia trip(starting next week) from bangkok to phnom phen. I have been closely watching things develop in Thailand, I just figured it was best to stay on the safe side(I understand its not that unsafe, but things could rapidly deteriorate). Hope to visit another time
Old May 23, 2014, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Gripevo
My girlfriend and I just changed the first destination of our SE asia trip(starting next week) from bangkok to phnom phen. I have been closely watching things develop in Thailand, I just figured it was best to stay on the safe side(I understand its not that unsafe, but things could rapidly deteriorate). Hope to visit another time
The ONLY reason I would cancel a trip to Bangkok is if taking in the nightlife (club scene) was important to me. That has ended temporarily because of the curfew. But you are perfectly safe in Bangkok (as you will be in Phnom Penh).

<redacted>

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; May 23, 2014 at 5:42 pm Reason: removed off-topic portion in conjunction with deletion of several similar off-topic posts
Old May 23, 2014, 5:03 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I am going there next week and my friends say as calm as it is. The only downside is the curfew and everything closes so early.
Old May 23, 2014, 5:56 pm

Programs: trash airline program here
Originally Posted by DCBob
The ONLY reason I would cancel a trip to Bangkok is if taking in the nightlife (club scene) was important to me. That has ended temporarily because of the curfew. But you are perfectly safe in Bangkok (as you will be in Phnom Penh).

<redacted>
Taking in the night markets and a night out or two around town was important to us. Also, we would have been arriving at almost 11pm and our arrangements for pickup would be complicated by the curfew. It was only a few days of a much larger trip, but yea im still sad to be missing bangkok this trip.
Old May 23, 2014, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by dav662
I am going there next week and my friends say as calm as it is. The only downside is the curfew and everything closes so early.
But that's a HUGE downside. I honestly don't think safety is an issue, and not a reason to stay away. But why would a tourist want to visit a place where he has to be back in the hotel by a certain hour? That's not my idea of a vacation.
Old May 23, 2014, 7:05 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
There are some rumors on Richard Barrow's FB feed that the curfew will salty to easy Sunday and end by Wednesday. I would hold off on changing plans.
Old May 23, 2014, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Unhappy

Originally Posted by justforfun
But that's a HUGE downside. I honestly don't think safety is an issue, and not a reason to stay away. But why would a tourist want to visit a place where he has to be back in the hotel by a certain hour? That's not my idea of a vacation.
Agree 100% ! It was really a bummer to be eating my Cosmo Tidbits Pupu Platter and sipping a 1944 Mai Tai at Trader Vic's last night with friends , only to have to constantly check the time and make sure I had enough of it to get a taxi back to the hotel before 10:00pm.

Going to BKK and not staying out late is like going to Hawaii and not going to the beach. Still great and all, but.......
Old May 23, 2014, 7:54 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
FYI, arrived via BKK to Phuket yesterday and all is quiet down here. Have only seen one soldier in the street near Phuket, no overt police presence. The first night, I've been told, streets were deserted at 2200. Last night, almost as active as ever even past 2300.

CNN is not blacked out at my hotel. Neither are several other foreign language news channels. Cartoon Network is operational! Overall about half the channels are blocked.
Old May 23, 2014, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet
There are some rumors on Richard Barrow's FB feed that the curfew will salty to easy Sunday and end by Wednesday. I would hold off on changing plans.
What, no peppery?
Old May 23, 2014, 9:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by justforfun
This is exactly how I feel.

The risk of being caught in violence seems sufficiently remote not to affect my decision making.

But the curfew is 100% not consistent with my idea of "vacation."
Old May 24, 2014, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by yosithezet
i hope the rumors are true....even though i'll be there for work next week, its no fun being back in the hotel by 10pm every night....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.