Reload this Page >

Safety of Travel in Thailand 2014 — Martial Law, Peaceful Military Coup

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2013, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
This thread is for posting questions and specific news/updates of direct relevance to those traveling in or to the area.
Discussion of underlying and peripheral issues, comparisons to similar past events, and speculation about future conditions
belong in OMNI/PR or the Thai News & Open Discussion Thread. Off-topic posts will be moved or deleted.
Thanks for your assistance.

Update

13 June 2014:

Curfew has been lifted nationwide.

Travel advisories issued by a number of foreign governments remain in place. Check your country's embassy or consular website for travel advice and updates.

Courts martial have been established for violators of criminal code sections dealing with lèse-majesté, and those covering the broad subject of "national security" (including civilian violators). The NCPO has warned that it will crackdown on anti-coup protests if they do not cease. Visitors are strongly advised to stay away from all political gatherings.

Media gag has been eased, but strict censorship orders are in place, with local press and broadcast outlets reporting only approved content. ISPs have been ordered to monitor social media, and to block disruptive or "negative" content. Accurate and comprehensive information remains difficult to obtain, both in and out of the country. Censorship violations are among those subject to courts martial.

Hotlines for Tourists in Thailand
  • TAT Call Centre 1672
  • Tourist Police Call Centre 1155
  • Traffic Police Call Centre 1197
  • BMTA (city bus and van service) Call Centre 1348
  • BTS Hotline +66 (0) 2617 6000
  • MRT Customer Relations Center +66 (0) 2624 5200
  • SRT (train service) Call Centre 1690
  • Transport Co., Ltd., (inter-provincial bus service) Call Centre 1490
  • AOT (Suvarnabhumi Airport) Call Centre 1722
  • Thai Airways International Call Centre +66 (0) 2356 1111
  • Bangkok Airways Call Centre 1771
  • Nok Air Call Centre 1318
  • Thai AirAsia Call Centre +66 (0) 2515 9999

Links to External Information Sources

Special thanks to FTer c_9 for initiating this Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Safety of Travel in Thailand 2014 — Martial Law, Peaceful Military Coup

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2014, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by deadinabsentia
I've been here in 92' and 06'.. this is my third.
I've has ZERO issues with all of them.

I was intact married during the 06' one, and all the guests came from overseas. No one had a problem.

Perhaps this is scary to those who don't travel, and perhaps those people shouldn't travel.. Anyway, off to the beach for some Sangsom/Cokes and the sunset.. Sawadee.
Again, this is not a coup (as yet). A coup would probably guarantee further violence where as right now the fine balancing act may temporarily avoid or delay it.

No one had a problem in 2006, people were going to the soldiers with gifts and taking pics. Clearly, you weren't anywhere geographically near the bloody crackdown in May 1992, otherwise you would have patently had real concerns about your own safety.

The related point to my response to you is that the current political and social divide in the country is unlike anytime in the country before. It is perhaps a little foolish not to acknowledge that fact. Whatever does happen in the near future, it will not resolve that underlying divide and we can of course expect further violence at some point. Most informed commentators still predict a long period of ongoing political turmoil for at least a few more years. Obviously, a key transition period will frame the real time period.

To state "absolute bollocks" to a travel advice which does provide important info seems to completely disregard the underlying dynamics and facts. Everything in that advice appears prudent and worthy of noting.

You do realise that martial law allows for the suspension of basic rights? (not fundamental rights though). We are already seeing that with press restrictions and curbs on freedom of movement.
Old May 20, 2014, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by deadinabsentia
I've been here in 92' and 06'.. this is my third.

I've has ZERO issues with all of them.

I was intact married during the 06' one, and all the guests came from overseas. No one had a problem.

Perhaps this is scary to those who don't travel, and perhaps those people shouldn't travel.. Anyway, off to the beach for some Sangsom/Cokes and the sunset.. Sawadee.
Agreed.

I was downtown BKK for '06... it was funny how people were so calm about it. (Attitude was like 'if there is a coup, it must be Monday' ) Hotel apologized several times for the inconvenience, but other than the advice to stay away from certain area's, it was a non-issue for farang. We went out every night.

Planning to head to BKK in both June and July... I see no reason to alter my plans.
Old May 20, 2014, 7:55 am

Sanity

Any seasoned Asian traveler knows that military intervention, aka 'coup' is the normal in Thailand politics. When the children misbehave and can't make up, Daddy steps in. This time, he's yielding a softer 'paddle'.

Things couldn't be safer now for travel and tourism. It's also the slow season and great time to visit. Enjoy!
Old May 20, 2014, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by dtsm
Any seasoned Asian traveler knows that military intervention, aka 'coup' is the normal in Thailand politics. When the children misbehave and can't make up, Daddy steps in. This time, he's yielding a softer 'paddle'.

Things couldn't be safer now for travel and tourism. It's also the slow season and great time to visit. Enjoy!
And to add...

The last time the airport closed for a few days was in 2008... when protesters forced it closure and - in that case - the Army refused to intervene. (I was there for that too. Got to stay in Thailand a few days. )
Old May 20, 2014, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I arrived in BKK a few hours before martial law was declared. I haven't spent much time in BKK before but i have not noticed anything unusual. I've only seen 1 soldier so far. Heck i don't think I've seen a single police officer (do they exist here?), only some private security firms, that also operate in the US, which I refer more to as mall cops

I'm leaving tomorrow night so assuming business as usual as well. Hopefully the same when i come through next week on the way home
Old May 20, 2014, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by 110pgl
And to add...

The last time the airport closed for a few days was in 2008... when protesters forced it closure and - in that case - the Army refused to intervene. (I was there for that too. Got to stay in Thailand a few days. )
Opposite for me. I was supposed to go home to the US for vacation and ended up losing a few days vacation. But there are worse things than being stuck in BKK.
Old May 21, 2014, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by 110pgl
And to add...

More than a few days, 10 days it was closed. The PAD took over the airport on 25 Nov and then departed lunchtime on 3rd Dec. Flight resumed late on the 4th just prior to the Kings BD celebrations the next day

DMK was closed around 3pm on 26 Nov. I took the second last flight out before it closed, a TG flight to Hat Yai for a work thing. I had a very, very long 14 hr trip back to BKK 2 days later......

Still have the pic of a London flight, TG 911, listed arriving on the Domestic arrivals screen.

It was indeed amazing that some tourists went into a complete breakdown or expressed hysteria at the reality of not being able to fly out of BKK/Thailand - until U-Tapao was geared up for extra flights at the end of Nov. (I mean seriously, of all the places that one could be stuck in the world ...many would vote for Thailand! "Ah sorry boss but I'll be late back to work as I am stuck in Thailand.....yeah, I know it really sucks")

However, that just highlights that too many travelers suffer from the fact that international travel these days is mostly trouble and hassle free.

Anyway, reportedly 500 soldiers are stationed at swampy and 150 at DMK, http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/loca...ime-to-airport
Old May 21, 2014, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
I arrived in BKK a few hours before martial law was declared. I haven't spent much time in BKK before but i have not noticed anything unusual. I've only seen 1 soldier so far. Heck i don't think I've seen a single police officer (do they exist here?), only some private security firms, that also operate in the US, which I refer more to as mall cops

I'm leaving tomorrow night so assuming business as usual as well. Hopefully the same when i come through next week on the way home
This may interest you. The army has said that you should allow a whole lot of extra time getting to and from the airports as they are setting up checkpoints on the roads. So the traffic will be even worse.
Old May 21, 2014, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by Yappofloyd
More than a few days, 10 days it was closed. ....
Still have the pic of a London flight, TG 911, listed arriving on the Domestic arrivals screen.

It was indeed amazing that some tourists went into a complete breakdown or ...
You are absolutely correct. I should have said I had to stay a few extra days; I think I was scheduled to head out the 1st. I remember being offered a flight out of U-Tapao, but that just seemed like chaos. As you said, a lot of panicking people, like it was the fall of Saigon.

Great picture.
Old May 21, 2014, 6:17 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Citi-Prestige,
Ah yes i remember that, i was stuck out in Pattaya an extra 2 weeks, luv'd it, got teased at work when i finally made it back.. felt sorry for the ones sleeping on the beach because they couldn't afford a hotel.
Old May 21, 2014, 7:52 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold

Friendly reminder that this thread is meant to be strictly limited to specific, factual information about current conditions that might be directly relevant to travelers.

Please try not to stray too far from the stated purpose, but do feel free to carry on reminiscing in the lounge thread (virtual beers on me ).

Thanks much!

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; May 21, 2014 at 9:11 am
Old May 21, 2014, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a potential for problems around Shinawatra Tower 3 in the next couple of days. There was an event a few days ago that turned out to be just a generator that overheated a bearing and smoke filled a few rooms. But PDRC has put out a rumor that it was a UDD weapons cache being stored by SC Asset. So people may act on that rumor.
Old May 22, 2014, 4:51 am

Programs: RVT 1K
The Coup was just announced by Army chief about an hour ago....
Old May 22, 2014, 5:22 am

As an announcement by the military that there will be a general curfew tonight from 10pm to 5am tomorrow.

If you have a flight tonight......leave early. (That being said the last curfew back on 19 May 2010 was not exactly completely strict. Better not to break it though).
Old May 22, 2014, 5:38 am

Soldiers are out west attempting to clear out the red shirts/UDD protest. reportedly, some gunfire but no details as yet.
http://www.bangkokpost.com/most-rece...udd-rally-site

In general terms, it would be expected that there will be a bit of blow back from the pro-govt supporters/red shirts in the next few days against the coup taking place, involving attacks especially at night and primarily against institutions representing the courts, armed forces etc. Keep that in mind if you are in BKK over the coming weekend - especially if you staying around KSR given the anti-govt protest nearby - and ensure that you follow your countrys updated travel advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.