Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Updated on THAI First A380

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2012, 8:32 am

Hopefully they get approval before the high season on their A380. I have a flight Dec 22 from Frankfurt. Would be nice to have wifi on board. But we know how slow things move in thailand. Did the give an estimated time when they thing they will have it onboard? I would thing before their international debut in Frankfurt.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 9:35 am

Programs: Thai ROP Platinum; BA Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium For Life; IHG Diamond Ambassador
A380 f hkg bkk

I flew in 3E (flight was full, couldn't get a window seat!) from HKG to BKK on Friday lunchtime flight. The sense of excitement was palpable.....from proud crew, to lots of passengers (having their photos taken....me included!!)

I like the seats, and especially like the "push 'n pull" table, very easy to get in and out of the seat even with a fully loaded dinner setting.

I also was told they are awaiting Thai Aviation authority approval to use the on-board Wi-Fi and SMS functionality.

The little "control touch screen" that is the same as the one on the 777-300ER was not working and it took me quite a while to get used to the "manual" seat controls....couldn't figure out the massage function at all, and gave up as it wasn't that important on a 150 minute flight.

Also, a PA was made warning passengers not to try to use the USB ports for charging Apple products as it would cause the AVOD system to crash and they would have to re-boot it for that seat......strange...

The pale cream and gold colour scheme in F is very nice but I noticed some scuff marks already on leading edges of the seat surroundings. Thai maintenance crew will have to do a good job to keep the colours from looking old at an early stage.

Food was up to the usual high Thai standards and I had a very nice marinated chicken dish with a Som Tam (suitably Westernised, unfortunately) side salad and a nice glass of Chablis....no complaints in that department.

However, I was hoping that Thai had installed proper cappucino machines instead of using the awful powdered cappucino packet mix used on the 747s but I don't think they have. I actually couldn't tell if it was just a better brand of "packet mix" but I was definitely not convinced....it does not even come close to the SQ or Austrian Do & Co (eleven different types of coffee to choose from) cappucino.

The main F toilet was huge, but I can't help feeling a lot of the space is wasted. Sure, it's nice to have plenty of stretch room when changing into your pyjamas on long haul flights but I can't see myself settling down on the sofa for any length of time.

The second F class toilet was adequate in size.

The tail mounted camera is awesome....we had excellent flying conditions and the sun sparkling off the metalwork gave me some excellent photo opportunities. I haven't bothered to watch the camera on the few SQ/EK A380s I have been on previously so I don't know if this is a standard placement for the camera.

In summary, I look forward to flying long haul on this bird as long as Thai keep the competitive pricing structure they currently employ for F class, and don't lose the run of themselves and try to price up to Emirates and SQ F prices, because the hard product is still not as competitive.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:30 am
soy

Programs: various
Just back from HKG-BKK on new A380, new C seats are a big improvement and love the tail camera. Look forward to trying on a longer flight.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by Thaikwai
The tail mounted camera is awesome....we had excellent flying conditions and the sun sparkling off the metalwork gave me some excellent photo opportunities. I haven't bothered to watch the camera on the few SQ/EK A380s I have been on previously so I don't know if this is a standard placement for the camera.
FWIW, LH A380 has 3 different cameras: down facing, tail mounted and nose mounted.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 9:59 am

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
Traveling on SIN-BKK tomorrow in C. They don't sell F on that flight if not I would have bought it. Anyone experience getting a F seat on the 380 on the SIN-BKK route sold as 2 class?
Old Oct 23, 2012, 7:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by bagold
Traveling on SIN-BKK tomorrow in C. They don't sell F on that flight if not I would have bought it. Anyone experience getting a F seat on the 380 on the SIN-BKK route sold as 2 class?
AFAIK, they don't open the F cabin on the SIN sectors unless you're someone very special. Was on the inaugural 380 BKK-SIN and it was closed off although i managed to try the seats mid flight thanks to the friendly in-flight manager!
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:42 am
DVX

I have a reservation on TG409 BKK to SIN on Nov 11th. It is an award ticket booked through United. My reservation on the United site was fine up until today - showed A380 as aircraft type. But now when I check the reservation it says 747 instead. Anyone know if they are switching the A380 to a 747 on certain days? Sure hope not! I specifically booked this flight to get on the A380. When I try to do a dummy booking on the Thai website, it no longer even offers flight #409 as an option to Singapore that day. Assuming because it's sold out? Which would make sense if they were downgauging the aircraft.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by DVX
I have a reservation on TG409 BKK to SIN on Nov 11th. It is an award ticket booked through United. My reservation on the United site was fine up until today - showed A380 as aircraft type. But now when I check the reservation it says 747 instead. Anyone know if they are switching the A380 to a 747 on certain days? Sure hope not! I specifically booked this flight to get on the A380. When I try to do a dummy booking on the Thai website, it no longer even offers flight #409 as an option to Singapore that day. Assuming because it's sold out? Which would make sense if they were downgauging the aircraft.
yeah - looks like for some reason the A380 is not flying that day (we have a booking for 8 nov and that one still seems to be flying).

Has your flight time changed? Looks like they might be putting on a 747 to pick up the extra pax off the A380.

Maybe wait a day and see if it irons out - or give TG a call to see what's happening.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 2:28 pm

I'm flying TG601 HKG-BKK on Nov 12. Seems like they changed it to a 747. Anyone know what's going on?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 2:43 pm
DVX

Figures... the one flight I choose for my first (and perhaps only) A380 experience is the day they choose to swap it out. Doesn't look like my flight time has changed though. Wonder what they're doing with the A380 that day instead?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by DVX
Figures... the one flight I choose for my first (and perhaps only) A380 experience is the day they choose to swap it out. Doesn't look like my flight time has changed though. Wonder what they're doing with the A380 that day instead?
when doing a dummy booking I'm not seeing the TG409 for 11 nov, but the flight time for the usual 409 has also gone??
Old Oct 25, 2012, 4:34 pm
DVX

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
when doing a dummy booking I'm not seeing the TG409 for 11 nov, but the flight time for the usual 409 has also gone??
Right, that's what I see as well. My guess is that if they have indeed swapped out the A380 for a 747, that the flight may actually be overbooked now. So they may not be offering anymore seats for sale, and thus it doesn't even show as an option when doing a dummy booking.

Looks like the A380 flights to HKG on Nov 11th & 12th have also been swapped to a 747. For SIN, only the flight on Nov 11 is affected at this point.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 6:30 pm
DVX

The A380 swap is confirmed here:

http://www.thaiairways.com.sg/promotions.asp?promoid=48

Wonder when they decided this? Really peeved right now.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ROP
May be it is swapped for maintenance.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Oh no. Sweating bullets here!

We're on TG600 on the 14th. Please, please, please don't let this happen...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.