Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trending?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2024, 7:41 am

According to BA aficionados, in the BA lexicon, an "enhancement" is a service - or part of a service - which is discontinued and which, according to BA, thereby somehow "improves" the consumer's experience. Of course, in BA's case what is enhanced is either BA's profit or its need to provide customers with something which customers probably appreciate but can survive without. I suspect the removal of the Trending Page has similar characteristics: a service appreciated by (most of) Flyertalk's customers cancelled because it is marginally profitable to do so and/or a minimal amount of effort on the part of Flyertalk's staff is thereby "saved".
Old Mar 5, 2024, 9:09 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
The 500 error is intentional, but the link still being around is not.

The funny thing is that so many people complained when we rolled out the Trending page
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 9:10 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by Umbongo
According to BA aficionados, in the BA lexicon, an "enhancement" is a service - or part of a service - which is discontinued and which, according to BA, thereby somehow "improves" the consumer's experience. Of course, in BA's case what is enhanced is either BA's profit or its need to provide customers with something which customers probably appreciate but can survive without. I suspect the removal of the Trending Page has similar characteristics: a service appreciated by (most of) Flyertalk's customers cancelled because it is marginally profitable to do so and/or a minimal amount of effort on the part of Flyertalk's staff is thereby "saved".
Other way around. The page has a low usage rate
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by IBJoel

The funny thing is that so many people complained when we rolled out the Trending page
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trending.php returns a 404, Not Found, error with customized text. 500 is for Internal Errors.
Since the trending page was removed, a 404 is an appropriate response.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_404
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...atus_codes#500
Old Mar 5, 2024, 9:30 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by WCT3U
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trending.php returns a 404, Not Found, error with customized text. 500 is for Internal Errors.
Since the trending page was removed, a 404 is an appropriate response.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_404
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...atus_codes#500
Thank you for the correction. I was thinking about the wikipost thing
Old Mar 5, 2024, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Cheeky..... but true...

Issues and suggestions regarding the new Trending forums home page

So what you are saying is....we need this thread to go over 8 pages to get momentum to enable it again..

It's an algorithm that weighs newness, engagement, sub-forum location, and how long the thread has been on the Trending page. We obviously don't want the same handful of threads dominating the page every single day. That said, we're always looking to improve the program and I will pass along suggestions. Besides what RumPatrol said, what are some changes you'd like to see?

Oh, and I can assure you that our editors have absolutely zero in put on Trending (it's 100% computer generated), and aside from ads on the page, it is not a revenue source.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29568293-post5.html
Old Mar 5, 2024, 10:43 am

Programs: Delta, United
I too enjoyed the trending page. After reading my usual forums, I select "Mark Forums Read" which would then take me to the trending threads. Which was good read at times.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 10:48 am

Programs: U/A premier 1K. UA 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I have been a memberr for 13 years. please bring the trending section back. It exposed me to some information I might have missed glancing at the other forums. At least have a link to click on.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 12:57 pm

Bring back the trending page!!! This was my default landing page and loved reading things outside of our forum. [Removed uncivil remark]

Last edited by cblaisd; Mar 5, 2024 at 2:25 pm
Old Mar 5, 2024, 1:25 pm

Just a note, the "deactivation notification" doesn't show up on the mobile pages. So anyone who primarily uses a tablet or smartphone (and I imagine that is a lot of people since most readers are on the go) is not likely to see the notification. I'd also be curious in seeing the logic that went into removing that page as many people I know use that as their home page.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 1:28 pm

Programs: air new zealand
The trending page broadened my horizons and informed me about things that I didn't know I didn't know. It was also a satisfying and quick bellwether for seeing if my usual airline is as bad or better than other airlines. I hope they bring it back.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 1:39 pm
O62

I mean that's not too surprising is it? On most issues requiring a yes or no opinion you can figure the split will be something like 50-50 or 60-40. You saw in 2017 people on one side of the argument, and now you are seeing the other side of it. People rarely post about changes they like, so you only ever see people piping up when something they don't like arises. The only difference I'd argue is the folks in 2017 had a way to opt out whereas we don't have a way to opt-in now. Plus, I imagine in 7 years you've gotten new members that only ever knew the trending post page and liked it.

Anytime you make a change to a software used by a lot of people, you are going to get negative reaction if it breaks their workflow. I've always liked this XKCD comic's humorous take on the issue.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
Just a note, the "deactivation notification" doesn't show up on the mobile pages. So anyone who primarily uses a tablet or smartphone (and I imagine that is a lot of people since most readers are on the go) is not likely to see the notification. I'd also be curious in seeing the logic that went into removing that page as many people I know use that as their home page.
I stand corrected, the announcement is showing now.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 2:28 pm

Programs: DL, B6
Might actually be a good thing that the trending pages are gone because it has significantly decreased my scrolling on the site, but I will miss it because it was a feature that allowed me to read posts from forums I normally would not visit (BA, AA, UA, and was always good for excitement around a good ol ' fat finger fare). I guess I'll just be a bore and check Delta and the Trip Reports every morning and call it a day....

Also, to the poster above who referenced the home page on FT with the links to the trending page - a blue, white and yellow scheme about 2/3ds of the way down - that hasn't updated in days....
Old Mar 5, 2024, 4:44 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold
Just like GoBob said, if the goal was to lower my activity and engagement on the site then this plan is working wonderfully!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.