Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trending?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2024, 12:29 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Bring back the trending page!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 4, 2024, 12:49 pm

+1 bring back Trending Page.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by MitzEclipse
Seconded
Old Mar 4, 2024, 1:35 pm

Page not found - accessing forums

Steps to dupe:
Open a browser
Go to: https://www.flyertalk.com
On the top section, there's the Hamburger icon, Magnifying glass icon, News, and Forums sections.
Click the Forums, it expands a big blue section.
Click All Forums

Get Page not found error (which seems to try to take you to: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trending.php)

If you go to anything else (say Airlines & Mileage programs, and then use THAT menu section, you can get to the main forums)
Fly2Connect likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA, AS

It does not need to be a home page, but a link to click would be nice.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 5:48 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by IBJoel
I will say that we are monitoring traffic over the next few weeks, so if it tanks, we'll know that the Trending Page was a significant driver
I can tell you that I will be spending a lot less time on the forum.

When I type in "fly...", which I did a few times a day, my browser would highlight my "home" subforum, Air Canada/Aeroplan. I will peruse its first page to see if anything of interest is there (spoiler alert, always the same umpteen-hundred-page omnibus "topics"), and then would click on Flyertalk Forums to see what's piquing people's attention. Yes, lots of BA stuff, but I would click through and read for quite some time.

Now I will probably take a glance at the hapless and sterile Air Canada forum a couple times a week, but will stop there, knowing that there's nothing else interesting that's readily accessible.

Terrible, terrible decision to remove https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trending.php. I was a bit relieved that the link worked for a day or so after the change, but now it's dead. Shame.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 6:00 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan MVP 75K
The trending page was something I looked forward to checking every day. Many interesting topics that I otherwise wouldn't know anything about. Bring it back!
Old Mar 4, 2024, 7:18 pm
THR

Absolutely miss the trending page
Old Mar 4, 2024, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

FWIW if you scroll way down on the front page, you get this. No idea if its new, or if it will last.

I suspect they are trying to drive traffic to the main page for the ad revenue.

Corvette Forums are also Internet Brands, and they still have Trending in the forums, as well as on the home page. You only get 5 links and its not clickable like our old trending page was. https://www.corvetteforum.com
Old Mar 4, 2024, 8:07 pm

Thirded---bring the trending page back
Old Mar 4, 2024, 9:23 pm
O62

Originally Posted by Bensky13
Sad to see the Trending page disappear. Is there any reason why it can't stick around as a non-default view for those of us who enjoy discovering threads that are of interest in forums that we wouldn't normally browse to?
Agreed!

Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
I don't understand the rationale behind not even having it as a link anymore, does the SQL query for that page cost more or something?

Only way to know what is going on in the travel world at one glance. Why?
Right!

Adding another voice for the trending page. It was how I stayed connected to other forums, interesting topics, and general travel trends. Seems such low hanging fruit to bring back the php code somewhere else.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 10:14 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Another vote to bring Trending back. Something I dislike about many site algorithms is how I'm fed things they think I want. Since FT was site trends it fed me things that others found engaging, which kept me up to date on the overall airline industry including the areas I wouldn't necessarily visit (like United - I hate them but will still read a trending thread on them).
Old Mar 4, 2024, 10:26 pm

Programs: hahaha
Originally Posted by Gig103
Another vote to bring Trending back. Something I dislike about many site algorithms is how I'm fed things they think I want. Since FT was site trends it fed me things that others found engaging, which kept me up to date on the overall airline industry including the areas I wouldn't necessarily visit (like United - I hate them but will still read a trending thread on them).
Totally agree. And before someone says that the page was dominated by BA and US carriers because of the sheer volume of their boards...

Well, that was the best part! The formulaic trending page delivered fast-paced discussion that was oftentimes quite captivating. and if it wasn't that useful on a particular day, then I continue onto the boards that I want to monitor.

And you have boards like BA that allow for the odd off-topic or "fun" post that the other forums don't get which brought a lot of character to the site and community. I browse more rigid forums where the moderation style (thankfully) is such that new discussions are encouraged to go into megathreads. But I **LEARNED** stuff to improve my travel hobby from the new ideas and topics that sprung up on trending. This is what I used FT for!
Old Mar 5, 2024, 7:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Just discovered AA's new aircraft order ... from the Chrome trending/curated feed! Something I would previously have found out about here on FT and now have to go looking for.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 7:18 am

I expect it made sense to someone. I'd like to see it back!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.