Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trending?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2024, 9:36 am

I may not be the most active poster, but I visited the 'Trending page' every day to see what I could learn. That would sometimes then lead me to other sub-forums to seek related information. Without the trending page, I will only visit FT when I have a specific query or information to share - so am only likely to hit one sub-forum per visit. Rather than daily (or multiple daily) visits to FT, I can see this dropping to a few times a month.

If some folks don't value the Trending page, would it be possible to make it available as a link rather than the default landing page?
Old Mar 6, 2024, 10:40 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
We do have another product that the auto sites have been using (Auto has over 100 sites and is our primary moneymaker, while we have just over a dozen sites, so we are unfortunately at their whims), so I want to get that rolled out here ASAP. This is a less-obtrusive widget, so it would hopefully be the best of both worlds for all
BrandonAB likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
I am another user for whom the loss of Trending will mean even less participation.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 5:24 pm

Missing the trending posts page....

It was my favorite part of the site. Now I feel I'll be missing posts that would interest me in forums that I'm not currently following. I wonder what were the reasons? Not enough traffic going there?

My gut feeling is that removing it is going to decrease the overall traffic to this site.

(mods not sure where to put this, so feel free to move it)
clkc86, oldfolky, Cargoguy and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Me too! I learned a lot by looking at categories that I wouldn't normally.
oldfolky and nmpls like this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 9:56 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
I also really like the trending page, and like most of you will most likely check a couple of sub-forums and leave. I've found some really useful information via the trending page so shall miss it greatly.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 10:12 pm

Another vote to bring back the trending page. It was the best (only?) way to view the latest posts from all over the site in one place. As others have said, if they’re trying to reduce traffic to the site they’re off to a great start.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by IBJoel
We do have another product that the auto sites have been using (Auto has over 100 sites and is our primary moneymaker, while we have just over a dozen sites, so we are unfortunately at their whims), so I want to get that rolled out here ASAP. This is a less-obtrusive widget, so it would hopefully be the best of both worlds for all
That might work.

I do not follow your claim that Trending was an obtrusive widget. How so? Currently I see a mini Trending list on the home page with a small button to click that says "See All" that links to the now defunct full Trending page. It does not seem very obtrusive to me at all. What is wrong with that? Even just a small button with a link to the full Trending page would be fine for me. Even if it were not linked on the Home Page but it was linked somewhere else, that would be fine for me. It does not have to be intrusive and I would say it was not. Maybe that is because the Trending page was not my Home Page, but if the issue was that it was intrusive to some users because they had Trending default to their home page the answer would be - don't do that! Problem solved!
Sweetone, cmn.jcs and birdiedouble like this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 1:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
That might work.

I do not follow your claim that Trending was an obtrusive widget. How so? Currently I see a mini Trending list on the home page with a small button to click that says "See All" that links to the now defunct full Trending page. It does not seem very obtrusive to me at all. What is wrong with that? Even just a small button with a link to the full Trending page would be fine for me. Even if it were not linked on the Home Page but it was linked somewhere else, that would be fine for me. It does not have to be intrusive and I would say it was not. Maybe that is because the Trending page was not my Home Page, but if the issue was that it was intrusive to some users because they had Trending default to their home page the answer would be - don't do that! Problem solved!
Clicking on “See all” takes me to page not found for both trending and popular.

count me in as disappointed by this link’s demise. I checked it frequently to get out of my FT subscribed bubble.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 2:05 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, BonVoy Gold, BW Diamond, RR Premium
Me too! I HATE THIS SO MUCH (please excuse my unprofessional typing/yelling). Every night when I sit down to a very late dinner, I pull up FlyerTalk first. I learned about people and places I would never have thought to even look at otherwise. Now some silly power trip (it feels that way) and I don't even know to look for what happened on some random airline that is not clickbait but just is interesting, or may give me insight. I won't know that something is better than something else because I would not have thought to ask. The best learning happens this way. It's so frustrating. I don't have three hours to find what I usually saw in 30 minutes. This is not my job. I care about all the people here and what I can learn from everyone.

As an aside to all of this, the search function is not great, so even if I knew precisely what I wanted, I'd likely not find it.

MODS: HAVE MERCY. What are you even trying to accomplish?
Old Mar 7, 2024, 2:27 am

Another vote to bring back the trending view. Bits are cheap, it doesn’t have to be the home page and still be available for those that want to use it.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 3:09 am

Programs: TP *S | FB Silver | LH
Please bring back the trending page (or something similar). I've only been a member for 1 year and the trending page was a life saver to me and provided me with so much valuable knowledge and information that I would struggle to find thrawling through the forums (specially as the search function is not the best).

Last edited by smbk83; Mar 7, 2024 at 7:39 am
Old Mar 7, 2024, 5:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by oldfolky
Another vote to bring back the trending view. Bits are cheap, it doesn’t have to be the home page and still be available for those that want to use it.
This is the part I don’t understand. It’s a link. Doesn’t have to be the primary way the site channels folks to the forum from the front page. I just don’t understand the harm in the link. If it’s about ads, enable ads on the trends page (weren’t they there anyway?).
Old Mar 7, 2024, 6:07 am

this is bad, please reverse it.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 6:35 am

I am really hoping traffic falls off a cliff now to prove it was important!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.