Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trending?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2024, 9:46 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by Adam1222
If you are not familiar with the phrase "hot take," Merriam Websters is helpful. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hot%20take

I think if one actually spent time perusing "trending topics," the distinction would be quite apparent. There is a difference between people providing information about, for example, how to book a particular ticket or whether a hotel offers a particular service, and a 300-post thread of people sharing their generic thoughts about how service on XYZ is awful these days, or responding to some news/blog article. The latter was more likely to qualify as a "trending" topic.

I am sorry to see so many only found participation in the latter useful, but I imagine that isnt the majority of FT users, despite the vociferousness expressed in this thread.
I do not see Trending topics as mostly people complaining. Of course there is some, but FT is 90%+ entitled blowhards who blame airlines for all their problems in the world and lament a better time...regardless of the chosen threads.

Personally, I like to see the 3% gems and without Trending pages, I would never have found epic threads as bisonrav 's 8 back-to-back SOP TP run's, the collective works of eightblack and many of the masterful musings of one PUCCI GALORE , but to name a few (apologies to the many many I have left out, but I don't want to ramble on too far)

Reading threads like these can alleviate the need for a session or two with one's therapist.
moondog, pilot007, cmn.jcs and 5 others like this.

Last edited by PLeblond; Mar 27, 2024 at 9:49 am Reason: Tones down last senence to avoid people feeling targeted (was not my intention)
Old Mar 27, 2024, 10:27 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by moondog
It seems like your beef was mainly with the algorithm?.

While I thought the algorithm could have benefited from some tweaking, the main value to me was having a curated batch of threads to explore when I had a few minutes.
I wasn't expressing a beef with the algorithm, but more a beef with people who think Flyertalk is "useless" without having easy access to a particular type of thread. I have used Flyertalk for more than a decade and had only even started perusing the Trending Threads in the last year. I found that the threads there did not represent the best of Flyertalk. I have returned to my practice on clicking on forums of which I have particular interest and/or expertise I can share with the community, and found doing so a net positive. Everyone has different preferences - but for me its better to deal with my frustrations and anxiety in therapy than in a discussion community about travel!
SPN Lifer and TWA884 like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 11:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Okay, the powers that be have included your vote in the "I don't care" column. Do you have any more meta rants (rants about rants) to offer?
Old Mar 27, 2024, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by moondog
Okay, the powers that be have included your vote in the "I don't care" column. Do you have any more meta rants (rants about rants) to offer?
I think you are perhaps unintentionally proving my point, but I'd remind you that rules of civility still apply in this thread.

​​​​​​My views as to the change are just as appropriate (if not more so) than some of the, at best, intemperate negative commentary in this thread.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 5:42 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
What is the distinction? What is a "hot take"?

And why is the comment relevant, 99% of posters here simply want access to what they have been using for years.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 5:45 pm

If you are not familiar with the phrase "hot take," Merriam Websters is helpful. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hot%20take

I think if one actually spent time perusing "trending topics," the distinction would be quite apparent. There is a difference between people providing information about, for example, how to book a particular ticket or whether a hotel offers a particular service, and a 300-post thread of people sharing their generic thoughts about how service on XYZ is awful these days, or responding to some news/blog article. The latter was more likely to qualify as a "trending" topic.

I am sorry to see so many only found participation in the latter useful, but I imagine that isnt the majority of FT users, despite the vociferousness expressed in this thread.

Why would you care what others enjoy, and why would you "imagine" this thread is not reflective of the majority of FT users ? Neither you not I have access to any data that can prove or disprove that statement. I also dont see how it adds to the discussion.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4
Why would you care what others enjoy, and why would you "imagine" this thread is not reflective of the majority of FT users ? Neither you not I have access to any data that can prove or disprove that statement. I also dont see how it adds to the discussion.
My views on the subject of the thread add to the discussion as much, if not more, than your views on whether my thoughts on the subject add to the discussion. I had substantive points, and shared them without personal attacks.

While I do not have access to statistical data, I certainly have observational data over my time engaging in Flyertalk (15 years and nearly 10x as many posts as you), and my experience has been that the tone and tenor of the majority (certainly not all) posts in this thread is not reflective of the community as a whole. If you feel that my contributions to this thread, which is about discussions of the "Trending" post elimination-- not a poll for a vote, is insignificant, unimportant, or irrespective of your experience, feel free to either ignore them or share your contrary experiences.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 7:11 pm

My views on the subject of the thread add to the discussion as much, if not more, than your views on whether my thoughts on the subject add to the discussion. I had substantive points, and shared them without personal attacks.

While I do not have access to statistical data, I certainly have observational data over my time engaging in Flyertalk (15 years and nearly 10x as many posts as you), and my experience has been that the tone and tenor of the majority (certainly not all) posts in this thread is not reflective of the community as a whole. If you feel that my contributions to this thread, which is about discussions of the "Trending" post elimination-- not a poll for a vote, is insignificant, unimportant, or irrespective of your experience, feel free to either ignore them or share your contrary experiences.

Are you saying I should ignore your comments? I merely am pointing out that you cannot have any data to support your comments. Not saying you are wrong, as I and You simply cannot know, we can only share our own valid personal experiences . The only thing personal was that I replied to your personal post.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4
Are you saying I should ignore your comments? I merely am pointing out that you cannot have any data to support your comments. Not saying you are wrong, as I and You simply cannot know, we can only share our own valid personal experiences . The only thing personal was that I replied to your personal post.
I don't think this response is consistent with your initial post, asking "why I care" and that my comment does not "add to the discussion." Yes, I am saying that rather than saying someone's post "adds nothing to the discussion," ignoring the comment is an option. Indeed, that is contained in the Rules of the community, which explicitly prohibit "Unhelpful posts, such as... those that merely comment on the worthiness of others' posts or threads."

A post sharing observational data and an opinion -- which describes many, if not most, of the posts on Flyertalk, is quite different from telling someone their post and/or opinion is worthless and suggesting they should not post. I think any member of this community engaging in good faith--particularly one that reads "trending topics"-- knows that. And yes, I do not have any scientific data to support that statement, though it is still responsive. Cheers.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 7:30 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Exclamation Thread closed pending any new information

We're going to close this thread at this time. There is little new being said and the thread is tending toward the acrimonious and overly personalized. If there is new information about the topic, it will be announced here.

cblaisd, Moderator, Technical Support forum
TWA884 and IBJoel like this.

Last edited by cblaisd; Apr 2, 2024 at 10:06 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.