Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trending?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2024, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Trending?

I used to click on “Flyertalk Forums” and it would show trending post. Now I just get a forum directory. Did something change, and is there a link to trending post?
Blue Skye, etiene, Martix and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 10:24 pm

There's an announcement at the top of every forum letting you know what happened.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tech...ation-889.html
Old Feb 29, 2024, 1:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Crazy decision. It's interesting to see what's going on outside of my regular forums, but I'm not flicking through everywhere to find stuff.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Yeah, thats too bad. It seemed for some reason to be about half BA, but that may have just been the busiest forum.

Trending was how I found out about a bunch of cool stuff.

but it seems that traffic trends and tech standards once again favor a straightforward style.
I actually don’t understand this at all, all the new social media sites have a top, or review, or a “timeline” and they are often pushing ads, or what they want you to see.

This will lessen “my” use of Flyertalk anyway. For example, the trending page is how I learned CapOne was buying Discover.

Originally Posted by ft101
There's an announcement at the top of every forum letting you know what happened.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tech...ation-889.html

My eyes completely glazed over this….wow…maybe I should take some time off from the Internet
Wilbur, Umbongo, etiene and 6 others like this.

Last edited by returnoftheyeti; Mar 1, 2024 at 7:53 am Reason: merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old Mar 1, 2024, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Yeah, that's too bad...

Trending was how I found out about a bunch of cool stuff.

I actually don’t understand this at all, all the new social media sites have a top, or review, or a “timeline” and they are often pushing ads, or what they want you to see.

This will lessen “my” use of Flyertalk anyway. ...
+1
I completely agree. They switched from a dynamic page under IB control to a basically static table of contents. There's no reason anymore for me to waste time opening https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php since a visit today will just give me the same content as yesterday's viewing. I guess I'll set up some bookmarks which take me directly to the forums I follow instead.

I'd like to see the discussion that went into this decision. It seems to me that this will compartmentalize people whereas the trend showed unity by giving us a view into what people were talking about in forums we may not follow.

I really don't use "social media" websites. Flyertalk is one of the few. But youtube has the "algorithm" that selects content for its home page. The youtube algorithm does a scarily impressive job giving me new content from channels that I subscribe to as well as suggesting videos that I might also want to watch. If I was asked about potential modernization to flyertalk, I would have expected it to employ its own algorithm to bring me more into the content and site. Showing me a simple table of contents with just a "last post" in each entry is reminiscent of how web sites were done decades ago, imho.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 10:14 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
I will say that we are monitoring traffic over the next few weeks, so if it tanks, we'll know that the Trending Page was a significant driver
Sweetone, lsquare and Barrheadlass like this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IBJoel
I will say that we are monitoring traffic over the next few weeks, so if it tanks, we'll know that the Trending Page was a significant driver
It will be interesting to see what your metrics show. Ill still visit the site, but Ill check “My Flyertalk” and maybe he Amex, SF, and United forums.

But I wont spend any time in any other forums. So while you still have my visits, you will have less overall engagement. And I’ll never randomly click a thread about how SAS is leaving Star for Flying Blue, or whatever.
moondog, ecaarch, salut0 and 11 others like this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 2:07 pm

Programs: hahaha
Not sure if intentional or whether I’ve highlighted something that will be shut off, but I’m thankful trending is still accessible by this url https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trending.php
Old Mar 1, 2024, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by asovse1
Not sure if intentional or whether I’ve highlighted something that will be shut off, but I’m thankful trending is still accessible by this url https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trending.php
Nice, thanks. Thats all I wanted.
kathkiwi likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 7:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
It will be interesting to see what your metrics show. Ill still visit the site, but Ill check “My Flyertalk” and maybe he Amex, SF, and United forums.

But I wont spend any time in any other forums. So while you still have my visits, you will have less overall engagement. And I’ll never randomly click a thread about how SAS is leaving Star for Flying Blue, or whatever.
This. I found the trending page to be useful, and it served as a useful tool to to see issues and stories I wouldn't otherwise see.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 10:24 am

Page not found

This started showing up today whenever I try to use my shortcut to FT. Cookies and Cache both deleted, on an Android S22 Ultra completely updated.

Old Mar 4, 2024, 10:30 am

Programs: DL FO
Sad to see the Trending page disappear. Is there any reason why it can't stick around as a non-default view for those of us who enjoy discovering threads that are of interest in forums that we wouldn't normally browse to?
moondog, salut0, clkc86 and 12 others like this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by asovse1
I try that and all I get is this
Admiral Ackbar and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 11:28 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
I don't understand the rationale behind not even having it as a link anymore, does the SQL query for that page cost more or something?

Only way to know what is going on in the travel world at one glance. Why?
Old Mar 4, 2024, 12:05 pm

Programs: hahaha
RetiredATLATC It looks like the page has finally been killed.

Admiral Ackbar
I'd give them the benefit of the doubt that they truly want to monitor what traffic changes are like when that page has been killed. Hopefully it will come back when they have better data. If just only to please the diehards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.