Wiki Posts
Search

Feedback on FT new style, March 2018

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by airsurfer
@WIRunner: When using landscape mode on a cellphone (what I do) the screen appears about the same like on a computer.

I see in all screenshots that there is a lot of empty space on the right, even in narrow (portrait) mode.

The 'small font' problem in portrait can be solved by putting this line in the header:

Code:
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1, minimum-scale=0.5, maximum-scale=2.0, user-scalable=yes">
which allows to zoom out 1/2x and in 2x and the letters are not small anymore.
I have no issues on my phone (a Galaxy S9) when using mobile chrome or the samsung browser.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
On my screen anyway, quoted text and a response in a post is the same colour, making it very hard to distinguish between them.

Why the changes so often? I follow other forums hosted by IB and they have not changed fonts/formats in years and work well. Why is FT changing all the time when other IB forums don't???
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:38 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
This new style is useless!
Grog and T8191 like this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:42 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by DragonSoul
Some things are too big and some things are too small. This means I can't use Ctrl- or Ctrl+ to get anything to a comfortable size.
We have several tech tickets open to get things back closer to their original size.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:43 am

Read through half the topic to try to work out whether there was any way to change it back - is there? This new design looks terrible and is a completely needless change. If you want to add new skins, you add them as an alternative
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:45 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by DanielW
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but hyperlinks are no longer visible (unless you hover your mouse over them).
Originally Posted by Gig103
I agree with everyone regarding TOO MUCH WHITE SPACE.

But I also want to add that I wish Hyperlinks had some underline and a font color difference to make it clear that there's a link hiding in a post!
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I much prefer the new style of the forums, much cleaner and clearer. My only gripe is the inability to see hyperlinks.
Originally Posted by Globaliser
For me, this is the most critically-deficient aspect at the moment of the presentation of posts. It's vital to be able to identify where the hyperlinks are in a post.
Restoring at least an underline to Hyperlinks is being worked on.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:48 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by dmurphynj
The pagination buttons in the bottom right don't like up on Safari 11.0.3 (macOS 10.13.3) - the actual page counter button sits a pixel or two too low.
Thank you, I've reported to tech.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:56 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by lo2e
Moderator handles are shown in red now instead of blue, admins are still red, company representatives are still in green. Not sure if mods were supposed to change to red (I'm guessing not).

Edit to add: Edit and News buttons are totally different (old style) compared to the others next to it:
Try clearing cookies/cache/browsing incognito. Here are mine Incognito:
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:57 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by Duck1981
Sorry, I see a lots of advertisement and a too large font with too much bold.

Worst update I have ever came across - please go back to previous style.....
Are you using Desktop Skin on mobile, by chance?
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Slightly OT question... why is the person handling feedback not the person making the changes here? It would be much better to have the people answering these "tech tickets" (who actually are these tickets even going to) come to answer our questions and alleviate our concerns. There is absolutely no reason many of these changes should take this long in vB.

Whoever made the decision to flip the switch on this really does need a talking to about testing and debugging workflows in a technical environment. You do not just say "here's my idea, let's force it on everyone all at once with no feedback". You run tests - opt-in beta being the best, an A-B being worse but still okay (but idk if forced A-B test is possible in vB). There is absolutely no reason this skin (which isn't ADA compliant and is extremely poorly made with regards to color selection) should have been forced on anyone with the problems it has that have come to light in this thread. This forced rollout, the response to community concerns, the time it is taking to fix glaring issues that would easily have been caught in testing had it been conducted. The only "preannouncement" was a thread in this forum that was never global-stickied or announced - at least in the two forums I actually read regularly on FT. The thread did not even allow users to try the style before release - it only showed very minimal photos of the style. This thread was not even up for 1 week before the forced rollout.

Extremely poor technical management by whoever is making these decisions, and to be quite honest makes me question whether I should trust the FT site to be secure, safe, and reliable. Advice from someone who's been a part of multiple large vB based (and other forum software based) communities - get some people on the administrative and technical teams who know what they're doing and who care more about the users than "site unity" with the clickbait ad-revenue driven FT homepage.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:00 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by IBJoel
Try clearing cookies/cache/browsing incognito. Here are mine Incognito:
Actually, I saw the suggestion upthread about holding shift while refreshing the page and that actually worked to get all the buttons to update to the new style. Thank you though.
IBJoel likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:02 pm
Administrator

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I think this must be the case. When looking on a laptop earlier, I thought that the problem of the font size for thread titles had been fixed. But now that I'm on a different machine, I can see the cause for the complaint that the thread title is smaller than the name of the thread starter immediately below it.
Originally Posted by intuition
I'm starting to think the site looks very different on different platforms?

As for me, there is not much more white than before. Post-background is the same colour as before, but the left panel background has gone from light-gray to white. Post-title has gone from white text on blue background to blue text on light gray background. The title is better now than before, especially since posts are separated by the grey backdrop. So is the "blinding white" people talk about just the left panel or is the site whiter over all for others?

Similar about the "white space" ie waste of screen estate. When I bench old and new screen-shots, there is no significant difference between the two as to how many posts are visible in one screen.
You may also need to clear cookies/cache, as different machines/browsers may have kept a few things from the old version, without being "flushed out".
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by lo2e
Actually, I saw the suggestion upthread about holding shift while refreshing the page and that actually worked to get all the buttons to update to the new style. Thank you though.
And that fixed my issue too!!! I can actually post on FT again!
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:04 pm
Administrator

Originally Posted by halls120
While the font is clearer, when using the site on my iPhone, it is HUGE and unreadable. I’m not blind, but apparently your designer thinks I am.
This is using the Desktop Skin or mobile skin?
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:14 pm
Administrator

Originally Posted by ckendall
I have turned off javascript on this site (and hence the infinite scroll) so that is not a problem (well videos and wikis do not work but I can kind of work around that) and installed a blocker of publicity so there is none of that. But all the white backgrounds do hurt my eyes.
The wikiposts are not working for anyone, it seems. But could you link me to a video?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.