Feedback on FT new style, March 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Feedback on FT new style, March 2018

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
I have turned off javascript on this site (and hence the infinite scroll) so that is not a problem (well videos and wikis do not work but I can kind of work around that) and installed a blocker of publicity so there is none of that. But all the white backgrounds do hurt my eyes.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:29 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
The font... the font... the font! It's terrible... makes it really hard to read the forum/sub-forum topics etc.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Only been on for 30 seconds - already love it. Much more readable
Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:52 am
haa

Programs: No more status, free agent now
Printing does not produce good looking results. I often print from FT (to PDF files) for reference or offline access, and the new web site prints horribly mangled, at least in Mac Safari. For example, print CSS/style/view shows the many long URLs of the links and buttons which messes up the whole page layout, hiding or overlapping with the actual content. A few times needed to take a screenshot instead of printing to work around this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Can we get a dark theme? Just plain white kills my eyes.
Grog, ffsim and SK2751 like this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:09 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
1. It really is very bright. There's too much white, some of which could probably be changed to grey, and the blue is quite aggressive (maybe in itself, maybe just against the white).

2. It makes no sense that thread titles have the smallest font of everything on the "MyFlyerTalk" page. The positive effect is that they now always (or almost always) fit on a single line, but they get lost among everything else around them in larger fonts (thread starter, date started, reply / unsubscribe, 1 2 3 4 5 ... last page).
Grog likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Fonts too large

Too much white space

Can only see about two posts on the screen at the same time... makes it harder to screen for what sounds interesting

Scrolling, scrolling, scrolling....

What problem were you trying to solve, and who perceived this problem other than you?

Please, please, please... tell the interns what a good job they did, send them back to school, swallow your pride, and go back to what you had... this is terrible.

Submitted by a frustrated alpha tester.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:11 am

I've always thought the infinite scroll was a downgrade when it came around.

The font and whitespace changes are rather nice.

A lot of the phpBB features seem like noise in a Web 2.0/3.0 world - signatures, buttons everywhere, the posting rules dialog immediately below, etc.

The floating menus at top and bottom of the screen take up an inordinate amount of vertical real estate. Could they be replaced by a menu that rolls in only when summoned?
jackal likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:21 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Dashboards broken (imagery with target links)

We've spend enormous amounts of time to construct the dashboard at
The Finnair Forum Dashboard

The key to make a dashboard is to find a way to make vBB render the graphic in an orderly fashion wile at the same time being clickable links. Now it seems this has broken. Hovering the icons does indeed display the target link, but clicking on the icons only shows the icon image in a "pop-up".

Can this behaviour either be fixed or can someone at IB instruct on how to construct clickable images?
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:28 am

Instant notifications seem to no longer work for me, the timing happens to have been when these changes were rolled out. Coincidence?

See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29572388-post244.html for more information.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: Delta, United
While I understand the desire for websites to move towards formats that are better adaptive to mobile devices I have found that in general the attempts have lead to white space and font hell as well as other alignment issues on tradition desktop and laptops.

The difference in font sizes through out is annoying. For instance, on this thread the Multi-Quote font is bigger than the Quote font. Further buttons are a different size. Also why is the "Like" not a button. Should be consistent.

Also when resizing a forum the column size is dictated by ??? so the columns from one row to another do align as they are all independent.

Finally when rolling out a new website, it helps to allow users to have a preview and look for issues before while maintaining the old one. That allows one to gain valuable feedback from those who want to see the future rather than having everyone experience it and getting lots of repetitive and negative feedback.

I should also add that I not a fan of the new infinite scrolling. I go to the last post and want to scroll up a couple of posts and the next thing I know I am in Kansas (i.e. I want to go two posts up and it ends up being 20 posts). It has to do with timing. If I scroll too early I am in Kansas.
Grog, Silver Fox and Vegas Vegan like this.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Mar 27, 2018 at 8:42 am
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by milepig
Too bad you didn't spend the time to fix the paging that has been broken since the LAST redesign instead of breaking something else that wasn't broken.
Totally agree with this. The new "pagination" causes massive CPU and Memory use issues with error messages such as "Flyertalk.com is not responding due to a long running script. Recover web page?"
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:42 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by Buster
Why are the fonts for the forums that have subforums so small? For example, the font for "Information Desk" is 4x the size of the font for the forum title "Airlines and Mileage Programs." Add to it that the informational subheader is BIGGER than the actual forum name for "Hotels and Places to Stay," and the whole site looks like a weird mishmash of random fonts and font sizes. I had to ctrl - to make the font size readable within the forums, but then that means that the forum name for "Airlines and Mileage Programs" is too small to read. The "last post" line is also too small and weirdly bolded, so it's very hard to read.

I'd also like to request something that isn't so bright white - I'm getting a headache looking at this and it's hurting my eyes.
So this one, I actually know. "Airlines and Mileage Programs" (and the like are technically categories, so they behave in a different way from regular forums. But that explanation aside, you're right and I'll have tech bump up the size font.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
PLEASE go back to the old style otherwise I am going to have to really limit my time on FT. Right now I have only been on for about 10 minutes and I have a headache from this site. It’s so hard to read and the white is blinding.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by cruisr
PLEASE go back to the old style otherwise I am going to have to really limit my time on FT. Right now I have only been on for about 10 minutes and I have a headache from this site. It’s so hard to read and the white is blinding.
Ditto.
Ignore your users at your own peril. Everything about this change is awful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.