Feedback on FT new style, March 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Feedback on FT new style, March 2018

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
The new "style" etc has its own issues as well documented in this thread.

STOP the infinite scroll when NOT logged in. It is beyond annoying.
wrp96 and bse118 like this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
vB has support for multiple skins but forcing a default. Why are there only two skins enabled, and why was the old skin completely removed for those who like it? I cannot stand the new one, it's way too bright, and honestly there's absolutely no reason not to give people a choice.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question

Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
I can't create a link in a reply, whether I type the display text that I want to become the link first or if I try to create a link and dictate in the dialogue what my display text will be. The dialogue opens and the "OK" button shows in green but clicking on it in either scenario doesn't create a link. I eventually have to press the "Cancel" button and then I receive a message at the top of the page:

"You have changed some options. Are you sure you want to close the dialog window?"

I am running Google Chrome 65.0.3325.181 (Official Build) (64-bit) on a PC that has Microsoft Windows 10 Pro as the OS, version 1709, OS build 16299.248
Exact. Same. Problem.

13-inch MacBook (mid-2010) running
MacOS 10.13 (17A405) "High Sierra"
Safari 11.0 (13604.1.38.1.6)
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:00 pm

The new color and font are terrible. Too much white background, it's too bright and a strain on my eyes to read.

Please also get rid of infinite scroll. I can't even tell what page I'm looking at anymore.
MSPeconomist and bse118 like this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:01 pm

The new style is unfortunately a change for the worse.

Google's hideous Roboto font is no improvement at all. It is much less readable than Verdana, which was also not beautiful but at least more functional.

Changing the background to white in a number of places makes it more difficult to visually distinguish between post content and metadata, and is also not pleasant on the eyes.

Font sizing makes no sense. For example, on the usercp.php page (MyFlyerTalk), thread and forum titles, arguably the most important bits of information there, are shown in the smallest font size, while the largest-sized text is used to show repetitive and rarely used links such as "Unsubscribe."

Button images look particularly out of place since they apparently haven't been updated at all and in fact do not even have transparency applied correctly.

You have been trying to make the forums look more "modern" for some time now, but it's been failing, and it's bound to fail as vBulletin's antiquated, table-based layout does not lend itself to that. If you really need a more "responsive" design (personally I'm fine with the forums the way they are), you should start by switching to a different engine, such as Discourse, or even better, developing a custom one. The way you're going at it (random edits to CSS here and there), it's not going to work. It does not improve anything.

And if you really want to change the font, use something like Caecilia.

At the very least, please allow an opt-out to the old style via the settings.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Old style was WAY better
esp the darker blue on the full site vs the new light blue theme now it’s very bad and hard to read
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Can we have a setting to go back to the old one? I really dislike the new web design movement to space things out a lot more display less useful information in the same area. I'd rather have the former higher density format instead of white/dead line spacing between threads that serves no purpose.
Grog, cruisr, bse118 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ProleOnParole
You have been trying to make the forums look more "modern" for some time now, but it's been failing, and it's bound to fail as vBulletin's antiquated, table-based layout does not lend itself to that.

If you really need a more "responsive" design (personally I'm fine with the forums the way they are), you should start by switching to a different engine, such as Discourse, or even better, developing a custom one. The way you're going at it (random edits to CSS here and there), it's not going to work. It does not improve anything.
vBulletin is owned by Internet Brands (owner of FT)

At least they could get the font style & font size better (like they were 48hrs ago)
Old Mar 26, 2018, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Did the same people who write the misinformed click bait on the front page of flyerta

Did the same people who write the misinformed click bait on the front page of Flyertalk do this redesign?

I appreciate the attempt to freshen things up, but wow, what a waste of space in use of a new font that wraps things into weird lines.

If IB can't get something as simple as a vBulletin redesign right, I guess there is no hope for a real iOS app?
cruisr and ProleOnParole like this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Well this is hideous.

Everything about this new scheme is hard to read - way too much white. Poor font choice. The "Quote" "Multi-Quote" "Quick Reply" and "News" buttons appear out of focus to me (everything else is at least in focus if poorly designed). The "alert a moderator" icon (perhaps the most imporant feature on the site) is too small as if intentionally designed to be insignificant

A regressive change made solely for change's sake.

Grog, cruisr, MSPeconomist and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:15 am

Programs: DL GM
Holy hell you guys have to be kidding with this. How did you manage to screw up the website more before you even finished fixing the screw ups from last time? That's honestly impressive, you rarely see that level of professional web developer incompetence in 2018 when anyone and their mother can put together a halfway decent looking website.

I mean really, it takes a very special level of incompetence to take a website that already had an absurd amount of wasted white space and ADD MORE. How did you manage to do that? Seriously please tell me how that happened. FT is inching perilously close to being a plain white sheet of printer paper. Please, for all that is holy, give us a dark mode or otherwise darken the website because this is not acceptable any more. As it is the only way I could access FT was with some sort of color temperature shift on and brightness down.

Half the complaints in the LAST "upgrade" thread were about wasted white space and you managed to make it worse. Has IB not realized yet that this is an air travel oriented website and many of its members are likely to access this website whilst in a darkened aircraft cabin? A little consideration would go a long, long way. Of course no one at IB is actually listening to a single thing we have to say about the UI anyway so what is the point? What is with the space between posts now? The last upgrade already made less of the website visible without scrolling, now I can't even see one full post without zooming out on my laptop and once I zoom out, half the website becomes unreadable because the font is so small.

I said it before but FT looks like the website a high school freshman taking a web design elective puts together for his final project... in 2008. Please fix this. I don't even care if the site is broken or buggy or is infiltrated with ads any more, please just make it readable without searing my retinas.

Last edited by RumPatrol; Mar 27, 2018 at 12:27 am
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:26 am

Some things are too big and some things are too small. This means I can't use Ctrl- or Ctrl+ to get anything to a comfortable size.
Buster, Grog and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:28 am

Programs: AC E75K, WJ Gold, NEXUS, Marriott Gold
I was wondering what this new hideous font was. It's "Roboto" by Google. Note even they don't use it on their web services... Sites like Gmail are still Arial/SansSerif etc. Not a fan of this one bit.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:32 am

Programs: QFF
One of the worst forum styles I have ever seen. Ugly and utterly unusable. vB has really gone downhill after Kier left.

Please return option to select other styles.

Do the people running this site enjoy making people sick when they try to use it?
Grog likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:40 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by 24left
The new "style" etc has its own issues as well documented in this thread.

STOP the infinite scroll when NOT logged in. It is beyond annoying.
Stop the infinite scroll. Period.

No, silly. FT isn't for FTers. It's for ads! And money! And stuff.
If they make the site so unusable that FTers stop coming, there won't be anyone to generate those clicks leading to that money.
Xyzzy, DenverBrian and wrp96 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.