Wiki Posts
Search

Feedback on FT new style, March 2018

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2018, 3:51 pm
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by beltway
RE: Thread Titles and First Unread, No, they have not. I see no change.
On what page are you referring to these? On MyFlyerTalk or the forum index?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
Originally Posted by IBJoel
Try to select "FT Desktop NG", under "Forum Skin" here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/prof...do=editoptions
If it persists, let me know.
Hi,

I have switched the settings on that link but it hasn't help. I am still stuck on the Mobile One skin. I can see Mobile One selected on the bottom of each page on the drop down. When I try to change there it never takes the settings just goes back.

Thanks
Old Mar 26, 2018, 3:52 pm

The desktop skin is not supported on mobile devices. It is an option, but the designs are only semi-compatible.
If this is directed at me, it's completely avoiding the point I raised.
diburning likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 3:55 pm

On what page are you referring to these? On MyFlyerTalk or the forum index?
The former.

The latter uses a larger thread-title font, but I'm seeing no "go to first unread post" icon next to any thread name.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 4:01 pm
Administrator

Originally Posted by beltway
The former.

The latter uses a larger thread-title font, but I'm seeing no "go to first unread post" icon next to any thread name.
Yeah, that's still a bit small. I'll have tech increase size and reinstate "first unread"
Old Mar 26, 2018, 4:01 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by javabytes
To borrow a screen shot from another poster, if you look at the "Post reply" button, you'll see that it appears to be poorly cropped with white space padding the edges.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 4:05 pm
Administrator

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
To borrow a screen shot from another poster, if you look at the "Post reply" button, you'll see that it appears to be poorly cropped with white space padding the edges.
Hi there. Since that's the Desktop Skin on a mobile device, that is as-designed. Rotating your phone/tablet to landscape mode should resolve most of those formatting issues. On the right side is supposed to be an ad.
I'll see what we can do about the "Post Reply" button.

Last edited by IBJoel; Mar 26, 2018 at 4:11 pm
Old Mar 26, 2018, 4:21 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Any way to get rid of the forum description. I just need the title for my subscribed forums on my flyertalk page. Thanks.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
So, page loads and on screen efficiency are DEFINITELY better.. pages don't require anywhere near as much CPU as before. I would, however, prefer to have the font and page sizes back to where they were before. But I'll take better faster and more efficient page loading any day of the week.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Put the last post first.
Boggie Dog likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: Cessna TTx Self-Fly
The desktop skin is not supported on mobile devices. It is an option, but the designs are only semi-compatible.
And yet using desktop skin is your (or at least IB's) suggestion for those of us having issues with infinite scroll on mobile. Are you purposely driving people away from mobile?
beltway and diburning like this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's worse than the previous style update in that there's even more white space to scroll through within threads.

Just now, this quick reply is displaying in very small font size as I type. Compared to posts completed by others on FT, it's difficult to proofread my own posts, although there is lots of white space between paragraphs.

I also hate the inability to see easily what posts have been read, what threads have unread posts, etc.

Just like the last "update", this one has only estimates of the number of posts in a thread on the forum listing pages. I use the exact number sometimes to decide whether to go to the last page rather than clicking to go to the first unread post, which often seems to take more time. For example, if know roughly where the last post read fell on the page (toward the top/middle/bottom), but the thread now has for instance 1002 replies or 1019 replies (rather than only knowing that it's over 1K), this can enable me to quickly decide to go to the last page (or even first page) versus bothering to click to go to the first unread post (and then on the previous version, scrolling up/down since the first post displayed tended to start in the middle).
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
And this is when you're using the mobile skin? Can you post a screenshot? I want to make sure I'm understanding correctly.
Pick up a phone.
Open Safari.
Go to any thread.
Start a new message or reply (not quote).
The text you type is 3/4 or more off the top of the box. It doesn’t stick if you pull it down.
ffsim likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Just one poster's opinion, but I drastically preferred the old style - mainly for the density. ctrl-+/- does not fix things for me. If there was an option to keep the old style, I'd be using it.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean here. As you referring to when you're typing a post and click "Preview" versus when you click "Submit"?
Yep. Here's an example of what I mean:

versus:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.