Reload this Page >

Feedback on FT new style, March 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Feedback on FT new style, March 2018

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2018, 4:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I'm among those who find the bright white disturbing. While OK for short pings, if spending more than a few minutes the white glare makes reading FT uncomfortable. The Roboto font is so thin that the bright white just shouts out around it. If we could have a few choices on fonts and skins then that would seem to me to be a better outcome than the current set-up.

There again, I'm probably spending too long on FT anyway!
Old Mar 27, 2018, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I thought the VS web redo was bad until the BA one came in to effect

This one is even worse than the BA redo.

main issues at the moment are

- too much white

- grey text is not that easy for some people to read

- lack of links being visible

- the alert mods button is hard to see
Grog likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 4:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jmastron
The per-thread view (this one) is okay; I don't love it yet but may get used to it.

The thread list ("New Posts" or viewing subscribed posts) is awful -- the font for thread titles is way too small; very difficult to view on my 12.5" or 13.3" laptop screens. And I don't want to scale the page up, or everything else looks bad. Up the font size on the titles a couple of notches.

And please please please, on the Subscribed Thread page (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/subscription.php), remove the huge "Folder Controls" block from the top or shrink it significantly. I *never* use it, and it keeps the actual list of threads from showing up on the screen until I scroll down. This has been an annoyance since the last update;
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
The new color and font are terrible. Too much white background, it's too bright and a strain on my eyes to read.

Please also get rid of infinite scroll. I can't even tell what page I'm looking at anymore.
These two things.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 5:16 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Moderator handles are shown in red now instead of blue, admins are still red, company representatives are still in green. Not sure if mods were supposed to change to red (I'm guessing not).

Edit to add: Edit and News buttons are totally different (old style) compared to the others next to it:
Attached Images   
DenverBrian and MSPeconomist like this.

Last edited by lo2e; Mar 27, 2018 at 7:55 am
Old Mar 27, 2018, 5:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Oh dear

Sorry, I see a lots of advertisement and a too large font with too much bold.

Worst update I have ever came across - please go back to previous style.....
Old Mar 27, 2018, 5:24 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Looks very amateurish. Screen is cluttered, doesn't offer clean scrolling. Strongly suggest to go back to the cleaner and more sleek, more modern and professional previous UI. This looks like having went back in time 20+ years to someone doing their first site based in frames design (frames are so 1990s, as is making the site so very cluttered).

Font is very hard to read. A real strain on the eyes. If this design stays, FT readership will likely drop, as it is hard to read and the font doesn't scale well, looks like low qualify inkjet printout all blurred out a bit.

Worst of all is the infinite scroll, that is a real move backwards and the most counter-intuitive part that makes navigation so much harder.
DenverBrian and Grog like this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 5:30 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I'm starting to think the site looks very different on different platforms?

As for me, there is not much more white than before. Post-background is the same colour as before, but the left panel background has gone from light-gray to white. Post-title has gone from white text on blue background to blue text on light gray background. The title is better now than before, especially since posts are separated by the grey backdrop. So is the "blinding white" people talk about just the left panel or is the site whiter over all for others?

Similar about the "white space" ie waste of screen estate. When I bench old and new screen-shots, there is no significant difference between the two as to how many posts are visible in one screen.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I wish I could say that I'm confident IB will listen to this feedback and make positive improvements but given the recent track record I'm not going to hold my breath.

Sigh.

At least the Android mobile experience hasn't been ruined (yet), will look to primarily use mobile until the desktop version is fixed.

FWIW, I would feel less inclined to use an ad blocker if IB actually provided a positive user experience (no problem with FT needing to make money but not on my account if the experience sucks). These changes make me indifferent to an ad blocker because the experience has become so poor. Likely not the only one with this view.
beltway, Grog and RumPatrol like this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 5:37 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
I'm not keen on the size of the font used in the posts - I keep thinking that I have increased my screen size. I do like the font chosen though, its clear and easy to read (albeit too big).

Also, I miss the button at the bottom of the page that let you jump back to that sub-forum front page.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: Delta PM
Title font too small
Too much very white space
Infinite scroll works weirdly in Chrome
Old Mar 27, 2018, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by intuition
I'm starting to think the site looks very different on different platforms?
I think this must be the case. When looking on a laptop earlier, I thought that the problem of the font size for thread titles had been fixed. But now that I'm on a different machine, I can see the cause for the complaint that the thread title is smaller than the name of the thread starter immediately below it.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:02 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
FT is going the way of the airlines.
Just like the onion satirized: https://www.theonion.com/report-airl...eat-1819578039
FT now devalues their website every other week just to hurt their readers eyes. I'm honestly going to spend less time here, this is the most blinding site that I visit by a long shot.
Grog likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

While the font is clearer, when using the site on my iPhone, it is HUGE and unreadable. I’m not blind, but apparently your designer thinks I am.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
vBulletin is owned by Internet Brands (owner of FT)

At least they could get the font style & font size better (like they were 48hrs ago)
Then it is even more appalling that they refuse to allow us to use the old skin if we want to.

Every single vB site I have been a part of has always added skins, and sometimes switched default, but left the old ones unless there is a compatibility issue. There is absolutely no reason to only have one selectable skin on a vB site (unless of course they don't care what the users think, in which case do whatever they want).
DenverBrian, Grog, florens and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: EK, VA, QF, AC etc
Stupid infinite scroll coupled with broken search results

Originally Posted by javabytes
because infinite scroll is the most annoying thing on the planet.
Particularly when combined with a search-in-this-thread which doesn't take you to the result (search for "scroll" in this thread).

And my computer spends most of it's time accessing doubleclick and google. doubleplusungood.

The fonts and colours are not as bad as some :-) but the useful text to noise & space ratio is pretty bad. Fully 2/3rsds of this compose screen is ads or useless white space, I'll have to page down to find the submit button. Hyperlinks are still hidden. Bad CSS!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.