Reload this Page >

Feedback on FT new style, March 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Feedback on FT new style, March 2018

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Gold, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by intuition
I'd just like to say I appreciate the black text on white background as it makes an easier read (and I see from the Style guide thead that proper contrasts was one of the design goals).
It, and the new font, might take a bit getting used to, but after that (and adjusting page zoom in browser) it strikes me as very readable and clean looking.
Agreed.
People hate change, generally speaking. But I think someone who was unfamiliar with the site who compared the old with the new would prefer this new font and layout as being clearer and more readable. I prefer this new look.
But it sounds as if there are some particular technical issues that need to be addressed.
DenverBrian and T8191 like this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Oh, and additionally, my screenname appears too large for the default "I don't need reading glasses" font.
Attached Images  
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Can FT members be told what is driving these changes and if any testing is being done before roll out?
No, silly. FT isn't for FTers. It's for ads! And money! And stuff.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by diburning
I actually don't hate this as much as I thought I would. Here are some suggestions:

- A dark mode for even better contrast, and for those who want the color palette to be easier on the eyes. Most respectable sites/apps have this option. (Examples: YouTube, GMail, Discord, etc)

- Decrease the font size back to what it used to be or at least provide an option to change it. I'm not a fan of perpetually being in low-vision mode.

Other than that, not bad!
+1. dark mode is essential these days. it reduces eye strain and actually saves power/CO2 emissions.
RumPatrol likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Horrible. Hideous. Sucks.

At least on my iPhone, it is virtually unusable.

Why do people have to mess with things that are perfectly fine?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Why oh why change anything? 👎👎😡😡 leave it alone
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:17 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
You should do a poll, but I suspect with 11 pages it's hit a nerve and most old dogs don't like change, LOL
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
There’s something broken on IOS/safari. Seeing a double width sidebar. A 12.9” iPad should be supported in desktop mode.
And image upload doesn’t work for me.

Idiotic Leave it alone.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Wow! Now CruiseCritic doesn't look like a cheaper version of Flyertalk!
At least FT still has the ability to PM someone.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:28 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
First impression. This looks awful. Just attempted to reply using the go advanced reply button. Took me to it and none of my typing appeared. Have had to go back to quick reply, type in then back to go advanced to continue. On iPad Air2 using Safari. Dead space at side of the screen. And the cursor and reply text still hidden when using quick reply. Would have been good to get the ongoing problems from the last major update fixed before this major change.
Can’t insert a screenshot either to show the spacing down the edge on the threads page. Not goodS
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:30 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
And after reply#161, seems it doesn’t like putting the posts in paragraphs and spacing incorrectly from what was typed.

S
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:35 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

My first reaction was something was wrong with the server. After finding this thread I can see I was wrong. The whole site looks unfinished and amateurish. Are you sure didn't go live before you meant to? Really disappointing and a poor launch.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Overall it's a very clean design.

However, as evidenced by your announcement post, links (such as the one to this thread) are not underlined (tested on 2 browsers on my MacBook). Links are underlined on Safari on my iPhone however.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:11 pm

The per-thread view (this one) is okay; I don't love it yet but may get used to it.

The thread list ("New Posts" or viewing subscribed posts) is awful -- the font for thread titles is way too small; very difficult to view on my 12.5" or 13.3" laptop screens. And I don't want to scale the page up, or everything else looks bad. Up the font size on the titles a couple of notches.

And please please please, on the Subscribed Thread page (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/subscription.php), remove the huge "Folder Controls" block from the top or shrink it significantly. I *never* use it, and it keeps the actual list of threads from showing up on the screen until I scroll down. This has been an annoyance since the last update;

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.