Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Feedback on FT new style, March 2018

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:50 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
There used to be a button "post hotel review" at the top of a hotel thread, next to the button "post reply". Is it no longer possible to post a hotel review within a hotel thread?
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:03 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by cblaisd
For clarification, the moderators of this particular forum have nothing to do with the decisions that Internet Brand staff make concerning the site's software. The moderators of this forum were not informed in advance of when this particular change to the site would occur.

Thank you,

cblaisd, Co-Moderator, Technical Support forum
So that begs the question...is anyone who can make changes reading these comments? And to whom can the comments be directly addressed to? or is this the only forum or place to vent?

Last edited by david55; Mar 27, 2018 at 10:07 pm Reason: I see that others have asked the same question
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:04 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Please give a a choice to revert to the old style. Please.
angra, Silver Fox, ffsim and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:05 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Having "Thread / Original Poster" , "Sticky Threads" and "Normal Threads" in the same font weight & color as unread thread titles disrupts scanning unread thread titles. How about making them another color -- blue seems to be dominant in the CSS -- and/or moving some of them to be center-justified:

Current display

Suggested, less-disruptive display for quickly scanning thread titles

Last edited by wpcoe; Mar 27, 2018 at 11:27 pm Reason: spelling & formatting
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:06 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Do you all have a lead product manager in charge who researches these types of things, adopts best UI and UX practices etc..?
researches ways to trigger migraines, then implement them?
Silver Fox and chermorg like this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I see all of the buttons in the new style, using Chrome on Win 10 Pro.

I wonder whether those who are seeing a mixture of old and new styles are just seeing cached versions of the old ones?
I see all of the buttons in the new style and color on my desktop (PC running Windows 10 and using Chrome as the browser) but on my iPad Pro (using Safari as my browser and the full version of FT because I don't like the mobile), they're all in the old style. The good news is that they match as earlier I was getting an old style "news" button and new style/color for the others.

BTW, to my eyes on both PC and device, the traditional turquoise (with golden yellow) FT color at the top of the page clashes with all of the new style in bright cobalt blue. The combination is very ugly.
DenverBrian likes this.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Mar 27, 2018 at 11:28 pm
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:22 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by SamirD
It's nice to see a bit of a facelift to unify the old vb3x style to the rest of the site, but I'm pretty surprised I didn't see a transition to xenforo. After the shakeout at vbulletin over vb4 and vb5, the team at xenforo seems to have made the next level forum software that seems truly 'modern' not only in appearance, but also in functionality. All the others seem to just take away features to look 'pretty', but not xenforo.

My 2 cents coming from a fellow forum owner still married to the vb3 platform.
As you might be aware, the team who made xenforo also created vB and left to start xenforo when 'things' happened.
Given the history between vB and xenforo and with IB owning vB, it is very unlikely that they will change platforms.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Is it just me or are wiki posts not displaying on mobile?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Yep - so it's now clear that IB doesn't actually care about user feedback / readability of this site. They aren't going to acknowledge any degradation in user experience or site readability. Let alone fix it. Been on for about 5 minutes this time and my eyes are blurring from the font / lack of contrast / ridiculous amount of white.

Will be spending much less time on FT.

Less eye on ads for IB
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
"Thread starter" icon placement

Right down the priority list, I'm sure: The "Thread starter" icon in the left hand block could do with being better placed. Where the poster's user name is followed by a title, the icon sits uncomfortably closely to the last line of that, and partially obscures the descenders.

Last edited by Globaliser; Feb 27, 2019 at 8:56 am
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
As above, put OP back to blue (it was working fine as it was when you changed it back the last time from whatever insipid colour you chose then), and stop it overlapping. Both of these are examples of ignroing your users, fogetting what you have fixed before, and not testing any roll out.

And why does the font have to be so small for threads on the My FT page? It is not joined up at all, as though different people that have never spoken to each other, who have varying degrees of eyesight and website comprehension (some steeped in the 1980s, some seem to have made it to the 90s but no further) were tasked with "making FT better". It's not FT's finest hour for sure. Personally with two major rollouts that are now almost equally universally unliked, some heads would roll in my org. In fact, after the first one that would be it.

So, can you explain the white space and monochrome/grayscale decision? It's like going back to the 60s and turning on the black and white TV.
IMH likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 2:28 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
My Eyes! It reminds me in style of late 90's web pages and far less readable than before. It's also slower, I might not have a top of the line machine (about 4 years old), but I shouldn't need one to read an internet forum.

Sizing of the fonts are all over the place. The My Flyer talk sections list them in a tiny font, but the main page has huge fonts, and you can barely make out new subjects on the main forum list. The separators are indistinguishable from the main threads.

Overall, now on a 1920x1080 screen at full sized, the BA forum has:
  • Inch and a half of top line header.
  • Two and half inches of a massive advert
  • Inch of forum summary/name
  • Inch of Repy and count of pages
  • Inch and a half of announcement/sticky threads, and then:
One single line of the first sticky entry of the forum.

You present an internet forum which on the main page of your largest forum, is basically barely showing a single post, and one that nobody will likely contribute to. I'm not an expert on graphical design, but I can tell when someone else isn't too...
IMH, T8191 and diburning like this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
The adjustments are not small. The old version was much easier to parse and read in so many ways. Why not give us the option of how we like to see FT?
Grog and IMH like this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
It says something when people have started to use the font tools to underline the hyperlinks that they post because the blog software dosen't

There are several posts about accessibility (which is different from aesthetics) identifying hyperlinks by being in a different colour or underlined is an accessibility issue.

Do you really expect people to continue to (a) underline their own links or (b) get users to wave their cursors over all the post text to see if there is a link?
JDiver, Xyzzy, DenverBrian and 6 others like this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Ugly. 3 shades of grey peppered with blue.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Silver Fox likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.