Feedback on FT new style, March 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Feedback on FT new style, March 2018

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2018, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by intuition
The 'alert moderator' button suddenly turned red so now it looks like every post is reported to a moderator.
I agree.
And that button, as well as the "online now" button to the left of it, are now tiny.
beltway and Silver Fox like this.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by IBJoel
Are you using the Desktop skin on your iPad?

I've asked for greater differentiation for "normal" and "sticky"
Yes, I’m using the Desktop skin because the mobile is execrable!

Thanks on the Sticky/Normal.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by pvn
I think a lot of the problem in this thread is from people who don't understand the level of tweakability in modern CSS/HTML, they see one thing they don't like (e.g. hyperlinks in the same color as body text) and assume the ENTIRE LAYOUT is "utterly broken".

Just submit the actual problems and they can almost certainly be fixed, the end result will be a much better site that is a lot more readable.
You would think so, but IB has repeatedly ignored every post discussing possible UI changes so my hopes aren't high. The hyperlink issue just highlights the larger issues IB has, namely failure to adequately test before rolling out.

In all honesty, I'd call it a win if they'd just fix the sub-forum headers so that Thread/Original Poster, Sticky Threads and Normal Threads were either a different font, different color or in a row with a contrasting background so that they didn't look the same as the font for unread threads. But that complaint, voiced by no fewer than 10 different people in this thread, has gone 100% unanswered.

I can fix most of the rest with some combination of adblocker, element picker and add-on though it is laughable that it is even necessary to do that. IB has FlyerTalk looking like something you can create for free on ProBoards. Looking at some of IB's other sites, lack of contrast and excessive white space seems to be a common trait. Fodor's is even worse looking than FT, though at least their sub-forum headers are contrasting.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:31 pm

last post

for the longest time i thought that the link to get to the latest/last post in a thread had disappeared - i only realized today that it's hidden on the bottom of my screen, where i have a toolbar that cannot be moved (stupid browser issue)

it would be great to put that back in the middle or top of the thread!

TIA
IBJoel likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Not sure if anyone has reported this, but I have a hard time navigating back to a forum after I make a post in that forum. Most of the time there is no link back to the main page for that forum. In the old skin, there was the drop-down menu at the bottom of every page and you could just click “go” to get back to the forum (though it would jump back to the first page). Now that menu is only on the forum page not on a page with posts. The posts page has a different style menu at the bottom to jump to a different forum, but since there is no “go” button, there’s no way to jump to the current forum. There’s a link to the current forum at the top of the thread, but if it’s a long thread, there’s no easy way to get back up there with the infinite scroll.
Also, I can’t seem to attach images from my iPad (e.g., a screenshot), but I think that predates the skin refresh. Images seem to upload but then do not show in the post.
Originally Posted by IBJoel
Please scroll to the bottom of this page and post a screenshot of what you see.
No way to return to the Amex forum.

Old Apr 1, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: UA, CX, BR
please go back to what it was. it's much harder to find forums now (Firefox).
estnet and cruisr like this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Bump: At the very least can you change the font size of threads on the New Posts page (which I assume will change it across the board). It is ridiculosly small, and is smaller than the subtitle and other items on the screen. It's been reported several times throughout this thread but nothing seems to be happening.

Also, View First Unread does not line up correctly and needs to be centred like the text to the right of whatever that bar is called.
estnet and cruisr like this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: Entry-level in every scheme :-)
You've removed the link to switch to the desktop site from the mobile site, please put it back.

FlyerTalk has always insisted on serving my Android tablet the crappy mobile site, now there's no way to switch back persistently. If you're not going to make sensible decisions about when to serve the mobile site (e.g. based on resolution) then you need to give users the option to override.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Again, I cannot believe this thread is not in the trending threads. It’s getting so much activity and page views even though we now have to actively search it out.
Xyzzy and muji like this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 9:53 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
This was answered in post 378, 2h45m after you asked about it the last time.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29577369-post378.html
muji and IBJoel like this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 9:57 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by dj1471
You've removed the link to switch to the desktop site from the mobile site, please put it back.

FlyerTalk has always insisted on serving my Android tablet the crappy mobile site, now there's no way to switch back persistently. If you're not going to make sensible decisions about when to serve the mobile site (e.g. based on resolution) then you need to give users the option to override.
It's still there, albeit in a much less convenient place see post 230
dj1471 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Yeah, strange that, and the announcement disappeared PDQ announcing the arrival of the 19th century.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Bump: At the very least can you change the font size of threads on the New Posts page (which I assume will change it across the board). It is ridiculosly small, and is smaller than the subtitle and other items on the screen. It's been reported several times throughout this thread but nothing seems to be happening.

Also, View First Unread does not line up correctly and needs to be centred like the text to the right of whatever that bar is called.
Yes, this is one of the most annoying aspects of the new design.
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[off topic]

New FT style!
Hello everyone,

In the interest of keeping FlyerTalk's web style current, we will soon be making some adjustments to the fonts, colors, and the overall style of the parts of FlyerTalk that our members see every day.

For the most part these adjustments are small, but sitewide -- this is a big step toward unifying the style of the site, so that FlyerTalk looks the same no matter what page you are on.

Once you see the changes, please leave us some feedback!

Thank you,

--The FT Team
When is this going to happen? (red added for emphasis)
This change is not what FT users are now enduring, so it must be another change coming later

[on topic]
Silver Fox and RumPatrol like this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
[off topic]

New FT style!
When is this going to happen? (red added for emphasis)
This change is not what FT users are now enduring, so it must be another change coming later

[on topic]
As much as we (the FT community) are round-the-clock citizens, the IB guys tend not to work 24/7, and it is a weekend (and a holiday one at that)...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.