Feedback on FT new style, March 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Feedback on FT new style, March 2018

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2018, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
iPad/Safari

1. The floating advert on the right follows you down the page, and eventually obscures the “GO” button for Forum Jump unless you fiddle VERY carefully. Infuriating to say the least.

2. Suggestion: put STICKY THREADS and NORMAL THREADS in uppercase, to give a bit of visual discrimination. Would take about 10 seconds to do that, wouldn’t it?
muji likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:30 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by IBJoel
I've asked for this to be reinstated. In the meantime, the inverted triangle to the left of a thread title in the thread listing will take you to the first unread post.
Oh. I thought that was a heart in a box, an couldn't for the life of me understand what it was trying to indicate! LOL!

Another request: Can you somehow better distinguish the page number being viewed?

Current:

Maybe another dash of the signature blue? Something to make the page number stand out more to be more recognizable at at glance.

Last edited by wpcoe; Mar 30, 2018 at 11:53 am Reason: clarify sentence
Old Mar 30, 2018, 11:31 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by CPRich
Search results in tiny font, 3/4 size of the rest of the site. Feature?

Font Finder reports 12px font, 15.6px line height. Everything else is 16px font, 20.8px line height

Element ID: thread_title_1362511 vs. Element ID: thread_title_1521187
Reported
Old Mar 30, 2018, 12:06 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Here is what this looks like on my PC screen. I've just cut off the top 1cm and lower 0.5cm of the screen, otherwise shrunk down to meet the attachment sizing. So scale up by about 25%.. Essentially this shows a huge slab of very bright white, screaming out of me. Oh, and 4 sentences. spread over 3 posts, that are there to be read. I simply find this very painful to read and inefficient use of the screen. On my Android it's so much easier on the eye, but I thereby lose a full keypad, wihich as one of the more frequent contributors, I find quite useful.

MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
For the most part, I like the font change. I can tell the color palete was intended to be brighter; I'm fairly ambivalent about that. Not keen on how white the whole page is but it doesn't really bug me either.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 12:32 pm
Administrator

Originally Posted by beltway
medium gray text in gray box for no good reason
I'm going to test this out. What browser are you using and do you use the "indent" button or do you type it in manually?
Old Mar 30, 2018, 12:36 pm
Administrator

Originally Posted by T8191
iPad/Safari

1. The floating advert on the right follows you down the page, and eventually obscures the “GO” button for Forum Jump unless you fiddle VERY carefully. Infuriating to say the least.

2. Suggestion: put STICKY THREADS and NORMAL THREADS in uppercase, to give a bit of visual discrimination. Would take about 10 seconds to do that, wouldn’t it?
Are you using the Desktop skin on your iPad?

I've asked for greater differentiation for "normal" and "sticky"
Old Mar 30, 2018, 12:37 pm
Administrator

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Not sure if anyone has reported this, but I have a hard time navigating back to a forum after I make a post in that forum. Most of the time there is no link back to the main page for that forum. In the old skin, there was the drop-down menu at the bottom of every page and you could just click “go” to get back to the forum (though it would jump back to the first page). Now that menu is only on the forum page not on a page with posts. The posts page has a different style menu at the bottom to jump to a different forum, but since there is no “go” button, there’s no way to jump to the current forum. There’s a link to the current forum at the top of the thread, but if it’s a long thread, there’s no easy way to get back up there with the infinite scroll.
Also, I can’t seem to attach images from my iPad (e.g., a screenshot), but I think that predates the skin refresh. Images seem to upload but then do not show in the post.
Please scroll to the bottom of this page and post a screenshot of what you see.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 12:49 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Here is what this looks like on my PC screen. ...
Same section as it looks on my screen. Quite different. Yes, the one-line posts does have some unnecessary white space, because the left column makes every post have a minimum height that is better for a 3-line post. But for me there is not much to complain about. As seen on my screen shot of that section, the three-line posts does not have any major white space and any compression of such a post would make it cramped.

Even the one-liners are OK by me, even if one could wish for a slightly lower post height in the one-liners.
Attached Images   
Old Mar 30, 2018, 12:52 pm
Administrator

OK, for everyone talking about the Forum Jump issue. Are some people seeing it and some not? Also, the "Go" button being blocked should be resolved by turning your device into portrait mode. As I've said: The Desktop Skin is not designed for mobile devices, so there are going to be hiccups. You're absolutely free to use it, but it comes with trade-offs for the time being.

Top: Portrait Mode.
Bottom: Landscape Mode.

Old Mar 30, 2018, 1:25 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
A friendly tip for those who have a screen similar to what is shown in post 454 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29584878-post454.html

If your browser supports zoom, try to hit 'ctrl' '+' or 'cmd' '+' a few times.

If you find a zoom level that works for you, the browser will remember it and apply it for all FT pages.

---
Added
Oh, by the way, did anyone report that linking to a single post does not look very good (see above)?
Internal linking on FT used to be rather clever and automatically display something relevant and not the url.
IBJoel likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 1:45 pm
Administrator

I was unable to replicate the problem of hyperlinks in PMs not having underlining, however, I did see that ones in wikiposts have no underline and have reported it.
Globaliser likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I don't see the forum jump box at all. I'm using Firefox on a MacBook - n changes from before the transition.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 2:24 pm
Suspended

Oh good, so in response to people complaining that the font is too small it's now bigger and more blurry. Do any of these changes actually get tested before being rolled out? Watching flyertalk evolve is like a lesson in how not to do software dev. Just bring the old style back, for god's sake.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 2:40 pm
Administrator

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I don't see the forum jump box at all. I'm using Firefox on a MacBook - n changes from before the transition.
Please post a screenshot

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.