Infinite / Automatic Scroll: issues, q&a, disable on desktop version

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2017, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
"FT Desktop Infinite Scroll" feature for desktop viewing introduced Jan 2017

NOTE: Selecting the Mobile Skin / display format will activate Infinite Scroll.

Opting out of "FT Desktop Infinte Scroll" skin:
Originally Posted by IBobi
How to opt out:

If you opt out, your pagination will revert to the “classic” FT Desktop View skin when you are logged into your FT account. Bear in mind that if you visit FT before logging in, you will see the infinite scroll.

To opt out, you can see this post or just go to

My FlyerTalk->Edit Options->Thread Display Options->“Disable Desktop Infinite Scroll”

Click the check box and click SAVE CHANGES.

If infinite scroll is set to default style and you keep reverting to infinite scroll:
Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
... Unfortunately since it's set to be the default style, opting out wont work.

So, with that said, you'll need to go into the "My Options" page and both disable infinite scroll and change your default style/skin to FT Desktop ..also don't forget to save!

Hope this helps!

Originally Posted by [B
Spanish[/B];27896638]All you need to do is add "?styleid=17" to the end of any Flyertalk URL.

For those with Greasemonkey, a simple script for you. You no needing to be logged in for this to be effective.

Here you go:

Code:
 // ==UserScript==
 // @name        Flyertalk_Remove_Infinite_Scroll
 // @match       *://*.flyertalk.com/*
 // @run-at      document-start
 // @grant       none
 // ==/UserScript==

var oldUrlPath  = window.location.pathname;

/*--- Test that "?styleid=17" is at end of URL, excepting any "hashes"
 or searches.
 */
 if (window.location.href.toString().indexOf("?styleid=17") != -1) return false;
 if ( ! /\?styleid=17$/.test (oldUrlPath) ) {

var newURL  = window.location.protocol + "//"
 + window.location.host
 + oldUrlPath + "?styleid=17"
 + window.location.search
 + window.location.hash
 ;
 /*-- replace() puts the good page in the history instead of the
 bad page.
 */
 window.location.replace (newURL);
 }
Print Wikipost

Infinite / Automatic Scroll: issues, q&a, disable on desktop version

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2020, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by IBJoel
Should be fixed now
Yes, fixed for me on a notebook computer and Chrome. Thank you.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 5:19 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
I believe that is cookie/cache-based
I've tried with a fresh incognito mode session but the issue is still there. Infinite scrolling works, but when the following pages load, they are not marked as read, and the like button doesn't work (the like button doesn't work on previous pages either if you browse upwards).
Old Oct 26, 2020, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by freckles123
Just noticed there was a thread dedicated to infinite scroll, so I'll continue the report here instead.

Apostrophes are being rendered into multiple spaces, and it seems to occur more frequently with specific users. It occurs on macOS and Chrome, but not Windows and Chrome. On Firefox, the apostrophes are deleted completely (e.g. That's --> Thats).

To recreate the issue:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31352812-post6.html

Examples:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31748113-post1596.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31519253-post1519.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31600328-post1536.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31604715-post1544.html
IBJoel, were you able to recreate the apostrophe bug on macOS? It may perhaps interest you to know that posts by JDiver generate the bug.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 9:16 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by freckles123
IBJoel, were you able to recreate the apostrophe bug on macOS? It may perhaps interest you to know that posts by JDiver generate the bug.
No, I did not see it even on mobile. It sounds like it's an issue of running Chrome on iOS?
Old Oct 27, 2020, 1:30 pm

No, I did not see it even on mobile. It sounds like it's an issue of running Chrome on iOS?
I have not tested it on iOS
Old Oct 28, 2020, 9:03 am

Infinite scroll still not working correctly for me. I’ll be half way down page 33 to suddenly end up on page 31.

Latest iOS on a XR and new 11, so it’s not my phones...

Why can’t you just let us choose to turn it off!?!?
Old Oct 28, 2020, 9:29 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by Cowichan2020
Infinite scroll still not working correctly for me. I’ll be half way down page 33 to suddenly end up on page 31.

Latest iOS on a XR and new 11, so it’s not my phones...

Why can’t you just let us choose to turn it off!?!?
A lot of users switch to desktop mode on their phones to bypass infinite scroll (I say this because you are new to the site).
Old Oct 28, 2020, 9:50 am

A lot of users switch to desktop mode on their phones to bypass infinite scroll (I say this because you are new to the site).
So every time I visit the site I need to request desktop site/click on the desktop site link?

I'm still confused as why you can't just let the mobile template users turn the "feature" off?
Old Nov 22, 2020, 6:58 am

I notice that since today*, infinite scroll seems to work better: posts are marked as read, and the like buttons work on subsequent pages, at least on my mobile. Kudos to the devs/admin teams!

*I noticed today but it might have worked since a bit longer
IBJoel likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 4:29 am

Sorry, you can delete this post.

Last edited by alex67500; Nov 29, 2020 at 4:41 am
Old Jan 2, 2021, 12:53 pm

Is it not possible to disable infinite scroll? It really doesn't work well for me.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 12:06 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by exarkun
Is it not possible to disable infinite scroll? It really doesn't work well for me.
In MyFlyerTalk, click on Edit Options in the left hand column. Then scroll down to Infinite Scroll under the Thread Display Options category.
exarkun and IBJoel like this.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 5:05 am

Hi,
Posts aren't being marked as read again when using chrome mobile. They're fine on the 'current' page, but any subsequent pages being loaded by infinite scrolling, posts aren't being marked as read as I browse them. When I return to my subscriptions, they're still marked as not read, and if I click on first unread it will take me to the start of a page I've already read.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 12:01 pm
Administrator

Originally Posted by alex67500
Hi,
Posts aren't being marked as read again when using chrome mobile. They're fine on the 'current' page, but any subsequent pages being loaded by infinite scrolling, posts aren't being marked as read as I browse them. When I return to my subscriptions, they're still marked as not read, and if I click on first unread it will take me to the start of a page I've already read.
I could not replicate this. Are you using Desktop View? Was working perfectly in Mobile Skin.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 2:22 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I could not replicate this. Are you using Desktop View? Was working perfectly in Mobile Skin.
It's not. This still happens to me with some frequency on mobile skin, when there is more than one page of new messages. (I'm not sure if it happens *every* time that's the case, but it definitely still happens.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.