Infinite / Automatic Scroll: issues, q&a, disable on desktop version

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2017, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
"FT Desktop Infinite Scroll" feature for desktop viewing introduced Jan 2017

NOTE: Selecting the Mobile Skin / display format will activate Infinite Scroll.

Opting out of "FT Desktop Infinte Scroll" skin:
Originally Posted by IBobi
How to opt out:

If you opt out, your pagination will revert to the “classic” FT Desktop View skin when you are logged into your FT account. Bear in mind that if you visit FT before logging in, you will see the infinite scroll.

To opt out, you can see this post or just go to

My FlyerTalk->Edit Options->Thread Display Options->“Disable Desktop Infinite Scroll”

Click the check box and click SAVE CHANGES.

If infinite scroll is set to default style and you keep reverting to infinite scroll:
Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
... Unfortunately since it's set to be the default style, opting out wont work.

So, with that said, you'll need to go into the "My Options" page and both disable infinite scroll and change your default style/skin to FT Desktop ..also don't forget to save!

Hope this helps!

Originally Posted by [B
Spanish[/B];27896638]All you need to do is add "?styleid=17" to the end of any Flyertalk URL.

For those with Greasemonkey, a simple script for you. You no needing to be logged in for this to be effective.

Here you go:

Code:
 // ==UserScript==
 // @name        Flyertalk_Remove_Infinite_Scroll
 // @match       *://*.flyertalk.com/*
 // @run-at      document-start
 // @grant       none
 // ==/UserScript==

var oldUrlPath  = window.location.pathname;

/*--- Test that "?styleid=17" is at end of URL, excepting any "hashes"
 or searches.
 */
 if (window.location.href.toString().indexOf("?styleid=17") != -1) return false;
 if ( ! /\?styleid=17$/.test (oldUrlPath) ) {

var newURL  = window.location.protocol + "//"
 + window.location.host
 + oldUrlPath + "?styleid=17"
 + window.location.search
 + window.location.hash
 ;
 /*-- replace() puts the good page in the history instead of the
 bad page.
 */
 window.location.replace (newURL);
 }
Print Wikipost

Infinite / Automatic Scroll: issues, q&a, disable on desktop version

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2020, 6:06 am

Infinite scroll on iOS makes the site unusable.

I've got the setting turned off but apparently this only works on the full version.

This is such a rubbish feature 95% of the time. If I load page "8" it then proceeds to load page "7" immediately and kick me half way up page 8. I went to page 8 on purpose!!!!!

PLEASE LET ME TURN IT OFF ON MOBILE!!!! Otherwise I'll simply stop using this forum it is THAT irritating.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 9:55 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Infinite scroll issues

Hello,

I think there are a couple of issues with infinite scroll.
- The like buttons haven't worked outside of the first pages that gets loaded, I think that's a known issue for a while.
- Marking posts as read as you scroll used to work but stopped a few weeks back (maybe 3 or 4). The workaround at the moment is, if there are multiple pages to read, to refresh the page when you get to the last post.
- I haven't been able to reproduce it recently (for lack of a post to reply to) but quick reply also failed last week which I think is related.

The first 2 are true on both desktop and mobile for certain.

I have a feeling that this is linked to javascript code not loading properly via infinite scroll, but I haven't dug any further. I could have a look if you think it might help.

Do you know about these?

Thanks
Old Sep 8, 2020, 7:03 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
I haven't ever heard about the last two, so I'll take a look. Do you have particular threads they aren't working on?
Old Sep 8, 2020, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by IBJoel
I haven't ever heard about the last two, so I'll take a look. Do you have particular threads they aren't working on?
It's all threads, I reproduce it on every thread I read since some time early to mid August. I'm signed up to quite a few of them on the BAEC board. I click on the new post arrow in my subscribed threads, and if I have posts on more than the first page I haven't read, only the first one is marked as read, the others aren't unless I refresh when I reach the last page.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 11:49 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by alex67500
- Marking posts as read as you scroll used to work but stopped a few weeks back (maybe 3 or 4). The workaround at the moment is, if there are multiple pages to read, to refresh the page when you get to the last post.
I have noticed this frequently as well in recent weeks, feels like maybe around the time of the last update. It *may* be more likely to occur if I navigate away from the page quickly (I am a fast reader ) -- maybe whatever code it is that updates the "last read" pointer hasn't had enough time to be triggered or something. It feels like if I let it sit for a while before closing the page then I have this problem less. But also it could just be that I'm refreshing the page and this is placebo effect.

BTW although I feel like the issue I reported here: long page load times

has gotten *slightly* better, but only slightly -- for example on a thread of let's say 100 pages, it will randomly load page 30 (say), and you can briefly see those old posts (often years old) but then a second or two later it will jump to the actual first new post that might be on page 99 or 100, which IMO observationally supports my blackbox testing hunch here:

Originally Posted by Zorak
It almost feels like the app server is loading *all* of the posts for the thread (and possibly transmitting them to the browser client) before displaying just the slice that's on the visible page (which needless to say, if that's what's actually happening, is needlessly inefficient).
I mention it here because there may be a common thread of, what all the heck is the page load code doing, and might it be over-bloated and time for some optimization...
Old Sep 10, 2020, 9:37 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by Zorak
I have noticed this frequently as well in recent weeks, feels like maybe around the time of the last update. It *may* be more likely to occur if I navigate away from the page quickly (I am a fast reader ) -- maybe whatever code it is that updates the "last read" pointer hasn't had enough time to be triggered or something. It feels like if I let it sit for a while before closing the page then I have this problem less. But also it could just be that I'm refreshing the page and this is placebo effect.

BTW although I feel like the issue I reported here: long page load times

has gotten *slightly* better, but only slightly -- for example on a thread of let's say 100 pages, it will randomly load page 30 (say), and you can briefly see those old posts (often years old) but then a second or two later it will jump to the actual first new post that might be on page 99 or 100, which IMO observationally supports my blackbox testing hunch here:

I mention it here because there may be a common thread of, what all the heck is the page load code doing, and might it be over-bloated and time for some optimization...
I think you nailed it. There is a certain amount of time for all pages and elements (both visible and unseen) to load, depending on connection speed.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 12:08 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I think you nailed it. There is a certain amount of time for all pages and elements (both visible and unseen) to load, depending on connection speed.
I would like to encourage the IB developers to take this into consideration, i.e. to remember that people using mobile devices may not always be on the most blazing fast office-quality Internet connection, and thus design and streamline the mobile experience accordingly.
IBJoel likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 10:44 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Has there been a change made to scrolling recently? I finally got used to the scrolling past my "40 posts per page" and now it seems that it does not do that any more. I normally go to the last post in the thread and just scroll back from there. Now when I hit the "top" of my current page it stops and I have to click on previous page.
florens likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 11:43 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by fwfdan
Has there been a change made to scrolling recently? I finally got used to the scrolling past my "40 posts per page" and now it seems that it does not do that any more. I normally go to the last post in the thread and just scroll back from there. Now when I hit the "top" of my current page it stops and I have to click on previous page.
Desktop or mobile?
Old Oct 15, 2020, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Desktop or mobile?
Infinite scroll stopped working for me today as well on iOS mobile.

Only the most recent ten or so posts are shown and the only options buttons are to go to the beginning or the end of the thread
Old Oct 15, 2020, 2:07 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Desktop or mobile?
Desktop... using Chrome.

Edited to add: actually both - desktop and mobile with Android.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 2:13 pm
Administrator

Thanks guys, will report to tech
YYCCL3 likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 9:46 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
For info, same here - MacBook and safari.
IBJoel likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 3:50 pm

Programs: WP
Originally Posted by fwfdan
Desktop... using Chrome.

Edited to add: actually both - desktop and mobile with Android.
same here
Old Oct 17, 2020, 6:53 pm

Same here on android mobile, and I noticed it at work on a Windows desktop using chrome on Friday. Infinite scroll is completely down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.