Infinite / Automatic Scroll: issues, q&a, disable on desktop version

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2017, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
"FT Desktop Infinite Scroll" feature for desktop viewing introduced Jan 2017

NOTE: Selecting the Mobile Skin / display format will activate Infinite Scroll.

Opting out of "FT Desktop Infinte Scroll" skin:
Originally Posted by IBobi
How to opt out:

If you opt out, your pagination will revert to the “classic” FT Desktop View skin when you are logged into your FT account. Bear in mind that if you visit FT before logging in, you will see the infinite scroll.

To opt out, you can see this post or just go to

My FlyerTalk->Edit Options->Thread Display Options->“Disable Desktop Infinite Scroll”

Click the check box and click SAVE CHANGES.

If infinite scroll is set to default style and you keep reverting to infinite scroll:
Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
... Unfortunately since it's set to be the default style, opting out wont work.

So, with that said, you'll need to go into the "My Options" page and both disable infinite scroll and change your default style/skin to FT Desktop ..also don't forget to save!

Hope this helps!

Originally Posted by [B
Spanish[/B];27896638]All you need to do is add "?styleid=17" to the end of any Flyertalk URL.

For those with Greasemonkey, a simple script for you. You no needing to be logged in for this to be effective.

Here you go:

Code:
 // ==UserScript==
 // @name        Flyertalk_Remove_Infinite_Scroll
 // @match       *://*.flyertalk.com/*
 // @run-at      document-start
 // @grant       none
 // ==/UserScript==

var oldUrlPath  = window.location.pathname;

/*--- Test that "?styleid=17" is at end of URL, excepting any "hashes"
 or searches.
 */
 if (window.location.href.toString().indexOf("?styleid=17") != -1) return false;
 if ( ! /\?styleid=17$/.test (oldUrlPath) ) {

var newURL  = window.location.protocol + "//"
 + window.location.host
 + oldUrlPath + "?styleid=17"
 + window.location.search
 + window.location.hash
 ;
 /*-- replace() puts the good page in the history instead of the
 bad page.
 */
 window.location.replace (newURL);
 }
Print Wikipost

Infinite / Automatic Scroll: issues, q&a, disable on desktop version

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by caburrito
I'm aware of that, but you must be logged in. The default behavior if you're not logged in is to have infinite scrolling. That's annoying.
Agreed.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Disable or make it not the default option. Flyertalk is unusable with it enabled, who likes having their screen jump around to random parts of a thread?! Sometimes doesn't even let you scroll since it automatically kicks you to a different post. Yes I can disable in when I'm logged in, but I tend to use computers that I don't want to login to. And I'd imagine new users visiting Flyertalk for the first time aren't going to put up with a broken website for long.

Last edited by alphaeagle; Jul 30, 2018 at 7:46 pm
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:38 pm

Why is there no option in edit options to disable infinite scroll? (to merge)

Flyertalk is annoying enough to navigate as the site is a jumbled mess, but what makes it even harder is when you are just trying to scroll up to read a wiki, and it keeps loading new comments you dont want to see. The solutions online talk about disabling infinite scroll (which i believe i've done previously), but that's not an option in my settings anymore. This site is pretty much unusable for me
sexykitten7 and likethis like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by desmondjar
Flyertalk is annoying enough to navigate as the site is a jumbled mess, but what makes it even harder is when you are just trying to scroll up to read a wiki, and it keeps loading new comments you dont want to see. The solutions online talk about disabling infinite scroll (which i believe i've done previously), but that's not an option in my settings anymore. This site is pretty much unusable for me
Why is disabling infinite scroll not an option for you anymore? Can you elucidate so Admin / Tech can possibly assist?

We’re likely to merge this into the existing Infinite / Automatic Scroll: issues, q&a, disable on desktop version. The illustrations in that thread, reproduced below, still exist right now.

JDiver, Co-Moderator
Attached Images   
IBobi and IB_Villalobos like this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by desmondjar
I actually love infinite scroll but it is hard to get to the wiki once you're down in the weeds. For example, Google searches often pick up the nth post of a thread.

IIRC there used to be a "Go to Wiki" button but maybe that on the paginated site layout. Is there any way to navigate the wiki aside from clicking the "first" button? Obviously scrolling up doesn't help!
Old Jun 18, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: Alaska, Hilton, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by IBobi
If you have a questions, comment or bug report regarding the new implementation of "infinite scroll" for the desktop (non-mobile) version of FlyerTalk, please use this thread.
I like Infinite Scroll in general, but Search doesn't seem to work within such a thread. That gives me no way of re-finding a comment of mine after subsequent activity puts it somewhere in the middle of the thread.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 9:20 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by alangore
I like Infinite Scroll in general, but Search doesn't seem to work within such a thread. That gives me no way of re-finding a comment of mine after subsequent activity puts it somewhere in the middle of the thread.
Are you referring to "Search Within Thread" or Ctrl(Apple)+F/"Find in Page"?
Old Jul 20, 2019, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by sexykitten7
I actually love infinite scroll but it is hard to get to the wiki once you're down in the weeds. For example, Google searches often pick up the nth post of a thread.

IIRC there used to be a "Go to Wiki" button but maybe that on the paginated site layout. Is there any way to navigate the wiki aside from clicking the "first" button? Obviously scrolling up doesn't help!
agreed, I used infinity scroll ever since it was introduced but disabled today. The wiki page is impossible to get to when auto-scroll kicks in unless you press the page number for page navigation
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:08 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by kouichi
agreed, I used infinity scroll ever since it was introduced but disabled today. The wiki page is impossible to get to when auto-scroll kicks in unless you press the page number for page navigation
Originally Posted by sexykitten7

​​​​
If you type in "1" in the "Go to Page" box in the lower right corner, it will take you directly to the wiki.
JDiver and sexykitten7 like this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Has anyone figured out a way to disable scroll on mobile/phone? It’s maddening! Basically unusable bc page keeps jumping.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:06 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Has anyone figured out a way to disable scroll on mobile/phone? It’s maddening! Basically unusable bc page keeps jumping.
If you open the menu in the upper left corner and scroll to the bottom, you should see a "Full Site" option.
JDiver likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by IBJoel
If you open the menu in the upper left corner and scroll to the bottom, you should see a "Full Site" option.
Yes. I saw that. But it means I’d have to use full site mode on the phone. Is there a solution for the mobile skin?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:32 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis

Yes. I saw that. But it means I’d have to use full site mode on the phone. Is there a solution for the mobile skin?
Mobile skin is infinite scroll only.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 6:25 am

allow disabling the infinite scroll in threads

I have looked but didnt see a way to disable infinite scroll, sorry if it exists.

Infinite scroll really makes getting back to the top of the page annoying. Would be great to have the option to just have the site act like a normal forum in this regard.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 8:33 am
Administrator

Go here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/prof...do=editoptions

Click "Disable Infinite Scroll" and hit "Save" at the bottom

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.