Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Infinite / Automatic Scroll: issues, q&a, disable on desktop version

Infinite / Automatic Scroll: issues, q&a, disable on desktop version

    Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 20, 19, 2:38 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
"FT Desktop Infinite Scroll" feature for desktop viewing introduced Jan 2017

NOTE: Selecting the Mobile Skin / display format will activate Infinite Scroll.

Opting out of "FT Desktop Infinte Scroll" skin:
Originally Posted by IBobi View Post
How to opt out:

If you opt out, your pagination will revert to the “classic” FT Desktop View skin when you are logged into your FT account. Bear in mind that if you visit FT before logging in, you will see the infinite scroll.

To opt out, you can see this post or just go to

My FlyerTalk->Edit Options->Thread Display Options->“Disable Desktop Infinite Scroll”

Click the check box and click SAVE CHANGES.

If infinite scroll is set to default style and you keep reverting to infinite scroll:
Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM View Post
... Unfortunately since it's set to be the default style, opting out wont work.

So, with that said, you'll need to go into the "My Options" page and both disable infinite scroll and change your default style/skin to FT Desktop ..also don't forget to save!



Hope this helps!

Originally Posted by [B
Spanish[/B];27896638]All you need to do is add "?styleid=17" to the end of any Flyertalk URL.

For those with Greasemonkey, a simple script for you. You no needing to be logged in for this to be effective.

Here you go:


Code:
 // ==UserScript==
 // @name        Flyertalk_Remove_Infinite_Scroll
 // @match       *://*.flyertalk.com/*
 // @run-at      document-start
 // @grant       none
 // ==/UserScript==
 
 var oldUrlPath  = window.location.pathname;
 
 /*--- Test that "?styleid=17" is at end of URL, excepting any "hashes"
 or searches.
 */
 if (window.location.href.toString().indexOf("?styleid=17") != -1) return false;
 if ( ! /\?styleid=17$/.test (oldUrlPath) ) {
 
 var newURL  = window.location.protocol + "//"
 + window.location.host
 + oldUrlPath + "?styleid=17"
 + window.location.search
 + window.location.hash
 ;
 /*-- replace() puts the good page in the history instead of the
 bad page.
 */
 window.location.replace (newURL);
 }
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 29, 18, 12:44 pm
  #286  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: UK
Programs: BA
Posts: 50
Originally Posted by caburrito View Post
I'm aware of that, but you must be logged in. The default behavior if you're not logged in is to have infinite scrolling. That's annoying.
Agreed.
AceofClubs is offline  
Old Jul 30, 18, 7:40 pm
  #287  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: AS MVPG
Posts: 2,044
Disable or make it not the default option. Flyertalk is unusable with it enabled, who likes having their screen jump around to random parts of a thread?! Sometimes doesn't even let you scroll since it automatically kicks you to a different post. Yes I can disable in when I'm logged in, but I tend to use computers that I don't want to login to. And I'd imagine new users visiting Flyertalk for the first time aren't going to put up with a broken website for long.

Last edited by alphaeagle; Jul 30, 18 at 7:46 pm
alphaeagle is offline  
Old Mar 10, 19, 1:38 pm
  #288  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 5
Why is there no option in edit options to disable infinite scroll? (to merge)

Flyertalk is annoying enough to navigate as the site is a jumbled mess, but what makes it even harder is when you are just trying to scroll up to read a wiki, and it keeps loading new comments you dont want to see. The solutions online talk about disabling infinite scroll (which i believe i've done previously), but that's not an option in my settings anymore. This site is pretty much unusable for me
sexykitten7 and likethis like this.
desmondjar is offline  
Old Mar 10, 19, 5:33 pm
  #289  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 61,403
Originally Posted by desmondjar View Post
Flyertalk is annoying enough to navigate as the site is a jumbled mess, but what makes it even harder is when you are just trying to scroll up to read a wiki, and it keeps loading new comments you dont want to see. The solutions online talk about disabling infinite scroll (which i believe i've done previously), but that's not an option in my settings anymore. This site is pretty much unusable for me
Why is disabling infinite scroll not an option for you anymore? Can you elucidate so Admin / Tech can possibly assist?

We’re likely to merge this into the existing Infinite / Automatic Scroll: issues, q&a, disable on desktop version. The illustrations in that thread, reproduced below, still exist right now.

JDiver, Co-Moderator
Attached Images   
IBobi and IB_Villalobos like this.
JDiver is offline  
Old Jun 18, 19, 8:13 am
  #290  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: PWM
Programs: UA Silver
Posts: 842
Originally Posted by desmondjar View Post
Flyertalk is annoying enough to navigate as the site is a jumbled mess, but what makes it even harder is when you are just trying to scroll up to read a wiki, and it keeps loading new comments you dont want to see. The solutions online talk about disabling infinite scroll (which i believe i've done previously), but that's not an option in my settings anymore. This site is pretty much unusable for me
I actually love infinite scroll but it is hard to get to the wiki once you're down in the weeds. For example, Google searches often pick up the nth post of a thread.

IIRC there used to be a "Go to Wiki" button but maybe that on the paginated site layout. Is there any way to navigate the wiki aside from clicking the "first" button? Obviously scrolling up doesn't help!
sexykitten7 is offline  
Old Jun 18, 19, 9:17 am
  #291  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sedona, AZ, USA
Programs: Hilton, Amex Plat
Posts: 28
Originally Posted by IBobi View Post
If you have a questions, comment or bug report regarding the new implementation of "infinite scroll" for the desktop (non-mobile) version of FlyerTalk, please use this thread.
I like Infinite Scroll in general, but Search doesn't seem to work within such a thread. That gives me no way of re-finding a comment of mine after subsequent activity puts it somewhere in the middle of the thread.
alangore is offline  
Old Jun 18, 19, 9:20 am
  #292  
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Programs: Internet Brands
Posts: 1,713
Originally Posted by alangore View Post
I like Infinite Scroll in general, but Search doesn't seem to work within such a thread. That gives me no way of re-finding a comment of mine after subsequent activity puts it somewhere in the middle of the thread.
Are you referring to "Search Within Thread" or Ctrl(Apple)+F/"Find in Page"?
IBJoel is offline  
Old Jul 20, 19, 5:48 pm
  #293  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 43
Originally Posted by sexykitten7 View Post
I actually love infinite scroll but it is hard to get to the wiki once you're down in the weeds. For example, Google searches often pick up the nth post of a thread.

IIRC there used to be a "Go to Wiki" button but maybe that on the paginated site layout. Is there any way to navigate the wiki aside from clicking the "first" button? Obviously scrolling up doesn't help!
agreed, I used infinity scroll ever since it was introduced but disabled today. The wiki page is impossible to get to when auto-scroll kicks in unless you press the page number for page navigation
kouichi is offline  
Old Jul 22, 19, 11:08 am
  #294  
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Programs: Internet Brands
Posts: 1,713
Originally Posted by kouichi View Post
agreed, I used infinity scroll ever since it was introduced but disabled today. The wiki page is impossible to get to when auto-scroll kicks in unless you press the page number for page navigation
Originally Posted by sexykitten7 View Post
I actually love infinite scroll but it is hard to get to the wiki once you're down in the weeds. For example, Google searches often pick up the nth post of a thread.

IIRC there used to be a "Go to Wiki" button but maybe that on the paginated site layout. Is there any way to navigate the wiki aside from clicking the "first" button? Obviously scrolling up doesn't help!
​​​​
If you type in "1" in the "Go to Page" box in the lower right corner, it will take you directly to the wiki.
JDiver and sexykitten7 like this.
IBJoel is offline  
Old Aug 18, 19, 8:55 am
  #295  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: Hyatt Explorist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
Posts: 3,203
Has anyone figured out a way to disable scroll on mobile/phone? It’s maddening! Basically unusable bc page keeps jumping.
Stgermainparis is offline  
Old Aug 19, 19, 8:06 am
  #296  
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Programs: Internet Brands
Posts: 1,713
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis View Post
Has anyone figured out a way to disable scroll on mobile/phone? It’s maddening! Basically unusable bc page keeps jumping.
If you open the menu in the upper left corner and scroll to the bottom, you should see a "Full Site" option.
JDiver likes this.
IBJoel is offline  
Old Aug 19, 19, 10:11 pm
  #297  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: Hyatt Explorist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
Posts: 3,203
Originally Posted by IBJoel View Post
If you open the menu in the upper left corner and scroll to the bottom, you should see a "Full Site" option.
Yes. I saw that. But it means I’d have to use full site mode on the phone. Is there a solution for the mobile skin?
Stgermainparis is offline  
Old Aug 20, 19, 8:32 am
  #298  
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Programs: Internet Brands
Posts: 1,713
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis View Post


Yes. I saw that. But it means I’d have to use full site mode on the phone. Is there a solution for the mobile skin?
Mobile skin is infinite scroll only.
IBJoel is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread