Infinite / Automatic Scroll: issues, q&a, disable on desktop version

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2017, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
"FT Desktop Infinite Scroll" feature for desktop viewing introduced Jan 2017

NOTE: Selecting the Mobile Skin / display format will activate Infinite Scroll.

Opting out of "FT Desktop Infinte Scroll" skin:
Originally Posted by IBobi
How to opt out:

If you opt out, your pagination will revert to the “classic” FT Desktop View skin when you are logged into your FT account. Bear in mind that if you visit FT before logging in, you will see the infinite scroll.

To opt out, you can see this post or just go to

My FlyerTalk->Edit Options->Thread Display Options->“Disable Desktop Infinite Scroll”

Click the check box and click SAVE CHANGES.

If infinite scroll is set to default style and you keep reverting to infinite scroll:
Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
... Unfortunately since it's set to be the default style, opting out wont work.

So, with that said, you'll need to go into the "My Options" page and both disable infinite scroll and change your default style/skin to FT Desktop ..also don't forget to save!

Hope this helps!

Originally Posted by [B
Spanish[/B];27896638]All you need to do is add "?styleid=17" to the end of any Flyertalk URL.

For those with Greasemonkey, a simple script for you. You no needing to be logged in for this to be effective.

Here you go:

Code:
 // ==UserScript==
 // @name        Flyertalk_Remove_Infinite_Scroll
 // @match       *://*.flyertalk.com/*
 // @run-at      document-start
 // @grant       none
 // ==/UserScript==

var oldUrlPath  = window.location.pathname;

/*--- Test that "?styleid=17" is at end of URL, excepting any "hashes"
 or searches.
 */
 if (window.location.href.toString().indexOf("?styleid=17") != -1) return false;
 if ( ! /\?styleid=17$/.test (oldUrlPath) ) {

var newURL  = window.location.protocol + "//"
 + window.location.host
 + oldUrlPath + "?styleid=17"
 + window.location.search
 + window.location.hash
 ;
 /*-- replace() puts the good page in the history instead of the
 bad page.
 */
 window.location.replace (newURL);
 }
Print Wikipost

Infinite / Automatic Scroll: issues, q&a, disable on desktop version

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2021, 2:55 pm
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
If it happens, but then you clear your cache, does it self-resolve?
Old Jan 26, 2021, 4:58 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by IBJoel
I could not replicate this. Are you using Desktop View? Was working perfectly in Mobile Skin.
No, Chrome on mobile view.

It worked perfectly until late last week (Thursday or Friday I'd say). I will try clearing the cache and report back.
IBJoel likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 2:36 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Just happened to me again. Starting in the mobile skin from
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/subs...n&folderid=all
I clicked on a thread with new messages via the "first new post" link and read the two new messages.

I then went back to the subscriptions page and noticed the thread had not been updated to reflect all the messages had been read. Forced refresh, no change. Cleared cache and forced refresh, no change. Clicked on the thread again and it showed me the same two messages as if they were unread.

Possibly of note: the first unread message was N+1 where N is an exact multiple of 15, which is my default page size (of course the page size only really comes into play on the desktop skin without infinite scroll, but even in infinite scroll it still keeps track of page numbers).

This reinforces my vague recollection (in that I haven't kept notes on details but this seems to fit with my memory) that the problem tends to occur when there are multiple new pages of messages to be read, almost as if there is a "last read" tracker that remembers the last post number that you read, but that for some reason it sometimes only works on the first page and then stops recording when you cross over a page boundary (and maybe my current experience suggests it is also broken if you begin reading exactly at a page boundary)

Anyway just speculating (black box QA is fun) -- could be a total red herring.
alex67500 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 4:39 am

Programs: BAEC
The mobile infinite scroll only updating the read message pointer to the last item on the first "page" of new posts rather than the last post you read definitely is a thing and has been an issue for me for a while. If this recognised as a bug and with the upcoming new version being deployed is this big addressed?
Old Jun 21, 2021, 10:17 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by plunet
The mobile infinite scroll only updating the read message pointer to the last item on the first "page" of new posts rather than the last post you read definitely is a thing and has been an issue for me for a while. If this recognised as a bug and with the upcoming new version being deployed is this big addressed?
I'm getting this, but seems to be related to thread size (I didn't have the problem on threads at 400 posts, but did when they were 2-3,000). I'll report to tech.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 3:39 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I'm getting this, but seems to be related to thread size (I didn't have the problem on threads at 400 posts, but did when they were 2-3,000). I'll report to tech.
It just happened to me on a thread with ~60 posts. I won't swear to this 100% but pretty sure I haven't seen it on any thread that has 15 or fewer posts, where 15 == the "page" size that I have set (for how many posts to show at a time)
Old Jun 22, 2021, 8:16 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by Zorak
It just happened to me on a thread with ~60 posts. I won't swear to this 100% but pretty sure I haven't seen it on any thread that has 15 or fewer posts, where 15 == the "page" size that I have set (for how many posts to show at a time)
That would make a certain amount of sense, I think
alex67500 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 12:44 am

Agree, it happens on any size of thread where it is multipaged. So for me like Zorak I have my page size set to 15, where any thread has more than 15 posts the last read message counter is unlikely to update if the last new message isn't on the "page" of 15 where the first unread message is when I enter the thread.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
How can I reset FT so posts appear by page instead of continuously scrolling?

I'm sure this question has been asked before. I just can't find it and I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
I'm sure this question has been asked before. I just can't find it and I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum.
Go to “my flyertalk” > go to “settings and options” > edit options > disable infinite scroll
JDiver and IBJoel like this.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Go to “my flyertalk” > go to “settings and options” > edit options > disable infinite scroll
Under the blue tab "My Flyertalk" above this page, I do not have "settings and options." What am I doing wrong?
Old Jul 8, 2021, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Under the blue tab "My Flyertalk" above this page, I do not have "settings and options." What am I doing wrong?
Use the desktop version of the site, and then you should see your control panel as a fixed menu on the left side of the screen when you go down.

Do you see this https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/prof...do=editoptions when in desktop mode to set the disable infinite scroll setting option for mobile use?
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Use the desktop version of the site, and then you should see your control panel as a fixed menu on the left side of the screen when you go down.

Do you see this https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/prof...do=editoptions when in desktop mode to set the disable infinite scroll setting option for mobile use?
I was always on the desktop version but using the link you gave me, I was able to change the settings. Thank you!
JDiver and GUWonder like this.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 1:37 am

Agree, it happens on any size of thread where it is multipaged. So for me like Zorak I have my page size set to 15, where any thread has more than 15 posts the last read message counter is unlikely to update if the last new message isn't on the "page" of 15 where the first unread message is when I enter the thread.
Nudge for IBJoel - is there any acknowledgement from the techs that this is a bug and it's going to get fixed? Thanks!
Old Aug 2, 2021, 11:26 am
Administrator

I'll nudge tech. It's not a reliably reproducible issue and when that's the case, it's difficult for them to do anything about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.