Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Infinite / Automatic Scroll: issues, q&a, disable on desktop version

Old Feb 2, 2017, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
"FT Desktop Infinite Scroll" feature for desktop viewing introduced Jan 2017

NOTE: Selecting the Mobile Skin / display format will activate Infinite Scroll.

Opting out of "FT Desktop Infinte Scroll" skin:
Originally Posted by IBobi
How to opt out:

If you opt out, your pagination will revert to the classic FT Desktop View skin when you are logged into your FT account. Bear in mind that if you visit FT before logging in, you will see the infinite scroll.

To opt out, you can see this post or just go to

My FlyerTalk->Edit Options->Thread Display Options->Disable Desktop Infinite Scroll

Click the check box and click SAVE CHANGES.

If infinite scroll is set to default style and you keep reverting to infinite scroll:
Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
... Unfortunately since it's set to be the default style, opting out wont work.

So, with that said, you'll need to go into the "My Options" page and both disable infinite scroll and change your default style/skin to FT Desktop ..also don't forget to save!

Hope this helps!

Originally Posted by [B
Spanish[/B];27896638]All you need to do is add "?styleid=17" to the end of any Flyertalk URL.

For those with Greasemonkey, a simple script for you. You no needing to be logged in for this to be effective.

Here you go:

Code:
 // ==UserScript==
 // @name        Flyertalk_Remove_Infinite_Scroll
 // @match       *://*.flyertalk.com/*
 // @run-at      document-start
 // @grant       none
 // ==/UserScript==

var oldUrlPath  = window.location.pathname;

/*--- Test that "?styleid=17" is at end of URL, excepting any "hashes"
 or searches.
 */
 if (window.location.href.toString().indexOf("?styleid=17") != -1) return false;
 if ( ! /\?styleid=17$/.test (oldUrlPath) ) {

var newURL  = window.location.protocol + "//"
 + window.location.host
 + oldUrlPath + "?styleid=17"
 + window.location.search
 + window.location.hash
 ;
 /*-- replace() puts the good page in the history instead of the
 bad page.
 */
 window.location.replace (newURL);
 }
Print Wikipost

Infinite / Automatic Scroll: issues, q&a, disable on desktop version

Old Jan 12, 2018, 1:30 am

Programs: NW 1MM, BD Gold, BA Gold, AA 1MM, LM, VX eleVAte, Hyatt D6, SPG Plat, Hertz President's
Angry Infinite Scroll ENABLED

Logged in after some time and found the [INSANE] Infinite Scroll auto-enabled on my account.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Hi there! Do you still have Infinite Scroll enabled? It may be causing that problem. It can be disabled here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/prof...do=editoptions
Thank you. Just what I was looking for. Those super long threads have been the culprit to my browser being frozen.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 2:17 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
No page links, 'auto' post/page loading. I hate it. (Infinite scroll - to merge)

Sometime in the recent past, the forum has had an update which removes the links to pages on topics. This is an awkward change that results in a poor, or sometimes unusable interface.

I like to scroll by clicking the center mouse button and dragging down the page. When I do that, additional posts pop onto the screen, adjusting the page length, causing my navigation to bounce everywhere. It is difficult to return to where you started also.

I also run into the problem that when I scroll to the top of the page (using a variety of methods), sometimes the earlier posts don't load, for some reason. Yet the links to other pages are gone. So it is impossible to navigate to those earlier posts!

Finally, if you are in the middle or start of a very long post, and want to jump to the final post, you can't. You have to scroll down, loading every single post, to get there. Or go back to the top menu where the page links happily still exist.

Please disable this function. It is unnecessary and awful. Keep the auto-loading if you must, but at least put the page links back.

Thank you
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:16 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
You can disable it. See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tech...bling-etc.html, where this will ultimately be merged. Instructions in the Wikipost at the top of the page.

Co-Moderator
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Sometime in the recent past, the forum has had an update which removes the links to pages on topics. This is an awkward change that results in a poor, or sometimes unusable interface.

I like to scroll by clicking the center mouse button and dragging down the page. When I do that, additional posts pop onto the screen, adjusting the page length, causing my navigation to bounce everywhere. It is difficult to return to where you started also.

I also run into the problem that when I scroll to the top of the page (using a variety of methods), sometimes the earlier posts don't load, for some reason. Yet the links to other pages are gone. So it is impossible to navigate to those earlier posts!

Finally, if you are in the middle or start of a very long post, and want to jump to the final post, you can't. You have to scroll down, loading every single post, to get there. Or go back to the top menu where the page links happily still exist.

Please disable this function. It is unnecessary and awful. Keep the auto-loading if you must, but at least put the page links back.

Thank you
YES - THIS PROBLEM exactly!

And sometimes, there is NO way at the top of the page to "get back". No way to navigate to other pages in the thread, and no way to click on the "thread title".
When that happens - it's the worst, being intermittent - I usually need to close that tab and just reopen it anew, to get back to "the top".

It just seems "buggy" in a variety of ways, and no clear pattern.
(With a background ages ago in HW/SW QA, I found this was the kind of thing to drive us nuts... the variability of symptoms and of "when it occurs".)

And I just posted elsewhere other problems, but hadn't known for sure whether this (described here) was a "thing" or not.
It's a thing....!

GC
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 2:21 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by JDiver
You can disable it. See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tech...bling-etc.html, where this will ultimately be merged. Instructions in the Wikipost at the top of the page.

Co-Moderator
THANK GOD... I appreciate the help. I disabled it, and the sun is brighter and all is right with the world.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 4:19 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Sorry quite a long thread to read through and can't see anything in the wiki - but when clicking on an email alert it seems to jump to the new post (as per old behaviour) then jump back up to the top of the page - quite annoying to then have to try and work out where the new posts are. Can this be fixed??
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by JDiver

Co-Moderator
I'm not sure which problem this is supposed to help with, but I keep getting a "page not found" from this link.

Help?
Thanks.

Ooops - I just tried one more time, and the link worked.
But I had tried about 5 or 6 times previously, just now. What's happening?

GC
Old Feb 28, 2018, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
I'm not sure which problem this is supposed to help with, but I keep getting a "page not found" from this link.

Help?
Thanks.

Ooops - I just tried one more time, and the link worked.
But I had tried about 5 or 6 times previously, just now. What's happening?

GC
I think I found the "place" to disable, but not from this link.
And "MyFlyerTalk" doesn't have a "Edit" choice anywhere.
Also, when I finally found the "disable" choice, it looked totally different from the screen shot saved.
If the entire page formatting has changed, perhaps the instructions here/above could be edited (or a new pointer?) so that it reflects the new display.

I still cannot find anything marked "Edit". But as an aside, I've found navigating FT much more difficult than any of the other Forums/Fora where I'm active. I assumed it was "just me", but after some time, it's not much better. Also, there is no full "TOC" or index/list of sub-forum/thread topics. Finding "Disability", for example, one must first *find* that it even exists. Once finding it, getting back is... tricky. Which of the headers in the left IS that in anyway...? Is there an expandable version of those left had headers? And here, every two or three characters is hanging before I can see what I'm typing... even in the middle of a word. This "feels" the same as the scrolling problem, where it suddenly jumps.

And sometimes the "clickable" boxes, such as "Preview Post" just aren't clickable. Later, they are...

GC
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:57 pm
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by CPMaverick

Thank you
Hi there, you can Disable Infinite Scroll on this page: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/prof...do=editoptions (be sure to click save at the bottom, as well)
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:58 pm
Administrator

Originally Posted by EDIflyer
Sorry quite a long thread to read through and can't see anything in the wiki - but when clicking on an email alert it seems to jump to the new post (as per old behaviour) then jump back up to the top of the page - quite annoying to then have to try and work out where the new posts are. Can this be fixed??
Do you have Infinite Scroll enabled? Can you forward me one of these emails at [email protected]?
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:59 pm
Administrator

Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
I think I found the "place" to disable, but not from this link.
And "MyFlyerTalk" doesn't have a "Edit" choice anywhere.
Also, when I finally found the "disable" choice, it looked totally different from the screen shot saved.
If the entire page formatting has changed, perhaps the instructions here/above could be edited (or a new pointer?) so that it reflects the new display.

I still cannot find anything marked "Edit". But as an aside, I've found navigating FT much more difficult than any of the other Forums/Fora where I'm active. I assumed it was "just me", but after some time, it's not much better. Also, there is no full "TOC" or index/list of sub-forum/thread topics. Finding "Disability", for example, one must first *find* that it even exists. Once finding it, getting back is... tricky. Which of the headers in the left IS that in anyway...? Is there an expandable version of those left had headers? And here, every two or three characters is hanging before I can see what I'm typing... even in the middle of a word. This "feels" the same as the scrolling problem, where it suddenly jumps.

And sometimes the "clickable" boxes, such as "Preview Post" just aren't clickable. Later, they are...

GC
You'll want "Edit Options". Here is the direct link (make sure to hit save at the bottom of the page!): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/prof...do=editoptions
Old Feb 28, 2018, 2:17 pm

Do you have Infinite Scroll enabled? Can you forward me one of these emails at [email protected]?
I guess so? I didn't disable anything so assuming it's on by default...

The email is just the standard one - example link for this thread was Infinite / Automatic Scroll: issues, q&a, disable on desktop version

It doesn't seem to happen consistently - just sometimes. Perhaps best plan is to disable infinite scroll?
Old Feb 28, 2018, 3:14 pm
Administrator

Originally Posted by EDIflyer
I guess so? I didn't disable anything so assuming it's on by default...

The email is just the standard one - example link for this thread was Infinite / Automatic Scroll: issues, q&a, disable on desktop version

It doesn't seem to happen consistently - just sometimes. Perhaps best plan is to disable infinite scroll?
Yes, Infinite Scroll is on by default and turning it off can resolve some issues.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 3:18 pm

Yes, Infinite Scroll is on by default and turning it off can resolve some issues.
Thanks, have turned off now and see how things are

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.