Infinite / Automatic Scroll: issues, q&a, disable on desktop version

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2017, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
"FT Desktop Infinite Scroll" feature for desktop viewing introduced Jan 2017

NOTE: Selecting the Mobile Skin / display format will activate Infinite Scroll.

Opting out of "FT Desktop Infinte Scroll" skin:
Originally Posted by IBobi
How to opt out:

If you opt out, your pagination will revert to the “classic” FT Desktop View skin when you are logged into your FT account. Bear in mind that if you visit FT before logging in, you will see the infinite scroll.

To opt out, you can see this post or just go to

My FlyerTalk->Edit Options->Thread Display Options->“Disable Desktop Infinite Scroll”

Click the check box and click SAVE CHANGES.

If infinite scroll is set to default style and you keep reverting to infinite scroll:
Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
... Unfortunately since it's set to be the default style, opting out wont work.

So, with that said, you'll need to go into the "My Options" page and both disable infinite scroll and change your default style/skin to FT Desktop ..also don't forget to save!

Hope this helps!

Originally Posted by [B
Spanish[/B];27896638]All you need to do is add "?styleid=17" to the end of any Flyertalk URL.

For those with Greasemonkey, a simple script for you. You no needing to be logged in for this to be effective.

Here you go:

Code:
 // ==UserScript==
 // @name        Flyertalk_Remove_Infinite_Scroll
 // @match       *://*.flyertalk.com/*
 // @run-at      document-start
 // @grant       none
 // ==/UserScript==

var oldUrlPath  = window.location.pathname;

/*--- Test that "?styleid=17" is at end of URL, excepting any "hashes"
 or searches.
 */
 if (window.location.href.toString().indexOf("?styleid=17") != -1) return false;
 if ( ! /\?styleid=17$/.test (oldUrlPath) ) {

var newURL  = window.location.protocol + "//"
 + window.location.host
 + oldUrlPath + "?styleid=17"
 + window.location.search
 + window.location.hash
 ;
 /*-- replace() puts the good page in the history instead of the
 bad page.
 */
 window.location.replace (newURL);
 }
Print Wikipost

Infinite / Automatic Scroll: issues, q&a, disable on desktop version

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Howste
Not sure why, but after opting out of the first implementation I have not been affected by the second implementation at all. If this thread wasn't here I wouldn't know that people are still fighting it.
Originally Posted by IBxAnders
We have deployed significant fixes and testing to make sure that if you're opt'ed out you will not be using infinite scroll. It may be worth nuking the cookies in your browser and making sure the only option configured in Edit Options is "Disable Infinite Scroll, YES (Checkbox)" as suggested in the wiki.
Hmm.. weird. At least for me its been reversed.

Checkbox works for first implentation.

Bam! IS is back and have to revert style to FT desktop. Shortly after however, that stops working and now here we are.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 3:21 pm
Administrator

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
Hmm.. weird. At least for me its been reversed.

Checkbox works for first implentation.

Bam! IS is back and have to revert style to FT desktop. Shortly after however, that stops working and now here we are.
This is very helpful in troubleshooting and also not being ignored, not for the lack of trying to be honest - because we did reproduce this issue (last Friday) very deep into the code and we did deploy a fix for this and confirmed that it was indeed fixed. I tested your user across multiple browsers and confirmed that each browser forced the FT Desktop (non infinite) style. Have you tried completely nuking all of your FT cookies and logging in again - maybe with or without the 'Remember Me'? I suspect that if something non-cookie related is going on it should be very limited and incredibly deep into the login session which we will keep working on - unless you're able to get the issue to go away with a cookie flush or see if it occurs in different browser? In any case, we appreciate any feedback to help resolve.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 6:01 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Maybe just try clearing your cookies and cache. Other than that...?
Old Feb 17, 2017, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by Spanish
You very correct. There should be no spacing there! I do not know how the space got to my posting, because it is not on my script.

The space ruins the argument completely. No wonder you having issues with it. I will correct the previous postings. One of you should correct the Wiki. I have not enough time / postings on the Flyertalk.

Thank you.

EDIT: For some reason the space is not able to be removed! Very strange. Some strange glitch.
The IBB software inserts a space to long text strings to break them up so they don't cause width issues. The workaround for stuff that needs to be verbatim is the code tag, as I believe you've figured out.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 8:16 pm

I continue to get reverted back to the infinite scroll option. My current MyFlyertalk options are:
- Forum Skin = FT Desktop
- Never go to mobile skin is checked
- Disable desktop infinite scroll is checked

Using Firefox I have cleared all cookies and history, yet I log in and go immediately into infinite scroll mode. Once selecting FT Desktop mode, I will get reverted back to infinite scroll mode within a couple of clicks.

My usual FT access method is to open FT, click new posts, log in, the scan new posts and select posts of interest. I have done this as well as logged in before clicking on New Posts with no difference. Often, the change occurs when I open a thread from the New Posts list...

While one hates to complain about free services, this has been poorly deployed and the benefits for the user seem non-existent. I can only imagine this is some preliminary step into forced presentation of advertisements somehow, but maybe I am a little paranoid.

Thanks in advance for any advice on what modifications I can make to get back to normal surfing.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 19, 2017 at 9:52 pm Reason: Edited out references not permitted
Old Feb 19, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by xooz
While one hates to complain about free services, this has been poorly deployed and the benefits for the user seem non-existent. I can only imagine this is some preliminary step into forced presentation of advertisements somehow, but maybe I am a little paranoid.
One can only assume that this and the Trending Forums fiasco must have some place in a revenue-enhancement strategy. Otherwise it's hard to figure out why the features would be retained when neither seem very popular among users and there are ongoing technical issues.

I'm also skeptical that these two features and/or future "enhancements" will retain an ability to opt-out so long as they are of some benefit to IB.

While it is a free website, it's a bit of a quid-pro-quo arrangement since users generate essentially all of the website's content for free as well.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I've tried everything. I still get it when I log in using my work computer. I've decided it's a conspiracy designed to make me visit FT less.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
And same here - whatever combination of options I set in MyFlyerTalk I keep getting the D**NED infinite scroll...

The only thing that seems to work is setting the style chooser at the bottom of the page - for each and every thread I read, which is getting VERY BORING
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:42 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Tocsin
And same here - whatever combination of options I set in MyFlyerTalk I keep getting the D**NED infinite scroll...

The only thing that seems to work is setting the style chooser at the bottom of the page - for each and every thread I read, which is getting VERY BORING
Same here and suffice it to say, it is royally annoying!

Please turn it off until you get it right and stop having the members be your beta testers!
Old Feb 20, 2017, 1:50 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

When using FT as a resource for topics completely new to me, I browse in Private mode, not logged in. If infinite scroll, in the manner it is performing for me, existed when I first started reading FT (over ten years ago, I think), I probably would not have read more than a few pages in my entire life.

It's impossible to keep track of where I am in reading a thread. Sometimes new posts appear at the bottom, sometimes I get the links for other pages, I click an earlier page or a later page, and end up reading stuff I've already read, even if I've never been on that particular page before. I'm in the middle of reading a post and it suddenly disappears from view, and I can't figure out whether it moved off the top of the screen or the bottom.

Even knowing the tremendous potential value of the information on the site, I'm too exasperated to keep trying to read about the topic I want to explore today.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:02 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Lightbulb

Hmmm...I could just change the site:flyertalk.com part of my search engine query to site:milepoint.com and see how that goes.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Chrome Extension in the Works

Using Spanish's script, I'm currently working on converting it into a set and forget it chrome extension. In the midterm, I'd advise downloading Tampermonkey on Chrome or Greasemonkey on FF..

Originally Posted by A Step By Step Tutorial of Using Spanish's Script by NKCM
From there, you can simply click on the extension and navigate to create a script.
Spoiler

After which, you'll simply paste your code in and save.
Spoiler

And finally make sure the script is enabled.
Spoiler

That window should show up after saving, but if it doesn't you can easily access it by using the popup menu and clicking "Dashboard".
Spoiler

Otherwise, you can wait a few days and I'll have a beta version of the extension up and running for you all to grill. Your call. Either way, this roleout has been a mess.
---

Also to IBxAnders, tried clearing cookies and even flushed my DNS. Still Infinite Scroll will occasionally come up (when logged in of course). Thanks for being patient with me

Last edited by TheLifeOfA_NKCM; Feb 20, 2017 at 5:06 pm
Old Feb 28, 2017, 3:00 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by goalie
Originally Posted by Tocsin

Same here and suffice it to say, it is royally annoying!

Please turn it off until you get it right and stop having the members be your beta testers!
Shameless bump after a week to see if there will be a response
Old Mar 5, 2017, 5:34 pm

Programs: NW 1MM, BD Gold, BA Gold, AA 1MM, LM, VX eleVAte, Hyatt D6, SPG Plat, Hertz President's
I'm with all the other posters on here. Despite the instructions, the retarded infinite scroll is permanently set to "on".

I have always hated it on the mobile site. Now, I'm forced to use it on the desktop. RIDICULOUS!!

(also wasn't able to multi quote on this very thread)
Old Mar 6, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
I don't know if this is the same problem, but beginning last night, when a page loads it jumps vertically one full page up, then down, then up and finally stabilizes. It is happening with every page change. Using Safari 10.0.3 Does not occur when using Firefox.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.