Infinite / Automatic Scroll: issues, q&a, disable on desktop version

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2017, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
"FT Desktop Infinite Scroll" feature for desktop viewing introduced Jan 2017

NOTE: Selecting the Mobile Skin / display format will activate Infinite Scroll.

Opting out of "FT Desktop Infinte Scroll" skin:
Originally Posted by IBobi
How to opt out:

If you opt out, your pagination will revert to the “classic” FT Desktop View skin when you are logged into your FT account. Bear in mind that if you visit FT before logging in, you will see the infinite scroll.

To opt out, you can see this post or just go to

My FlyerTalk->Edit Options->Thread Display Options->“Disable Desktop Infinite Scroll”

Click the check box and click SAVE CHANGES.

If infinite scroll is set to default style and you keep reverting to infinite scroll:
Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
... Unfortunately since it's set to be the default style, opting out wont work.

So, with that said, you'll need to go into the "My Options" page and both disable infinite scroll and change your default style/skin to FT Desktop ..also don't forget to save!

Hope this helps!

Originally Posted by [B
Spanish[/B];27896638]All you need to do is add "?styleid=17" to the end of any Flyertalk URL.

For those with Greasemonkey, a simple script for you. You no needing to be logged in for this to be effective.

Here you go:

Code:
 // ==UserScript==
 // @name        Flyertalk_Remove_Infinite_Scroll
 // @match       *://*.flyertalk.com/*
 // @run-at      document-start
 // @grant       none
 // ==/UserScript==

var oldUrlPath  = window.location.pathname;

/*--- Test that "?styleid=17" is at end of URL, excepting any "hashes"
 or searches.
 */
 if (window.location.href.toString().indexOf("?styleid=17") != -1) return false;
 if ( ! /\?styleid=17$/.test (oldUrlPath) ) {

var newURL  = window.location.protocol + "//"
 + window.location.host
 + oldUrlPath + "?styleid=17"
 + window.location.search
 + window.location.hash
 ;
 /*-- replace() puts the good page in the history instead of the
 bad page.
 */
 window.location.replace (newURL);
 }
Print Wikipost

Infinite / Automatic Scroll: issues, q&a, disable on desktop version

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2023, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Attempted to shut off the horrid auto scroll and get the following error every time I try to access the options menu.

Error: Undefined constant "threadview" in ..../profile.php(4959) : eval()'d code on line 286
Old Jan 3, 2023, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i also have >

Never go to Mobile Skin
Stop being redirected to the mobile skin
Never go to Mobile Skin

Revert Forum Homepage to Classic Mode
Turning this setting on will disable Filtered Threads on Forum Homepage (e.g. Trending Threads).
Revert to Classic Mode
Old Apr 10, 2023, 10:10 pm

Thank goodness this exists
Old Jul 31, 2023, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Is the infinity scrolling issue avoidable on iOS if I use Chrome? The mobile browsing experience is way better on Android than iOS.
Old Jul 31, 2023, 10:00 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by lsquare
Is the infinity scrolling issue avoidable on iOS if I use Chrome? The mobile browsing experience is way better on Android than iOS.
It's going to be all mobile browsers, though some users will switch to the full site to get rid of it.
Old Jul 31, 2023, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by IBJoel
It's going to be all mobile browsers, though some users will switch to the full site to get rid of it.
No, it's different. I can't really describe it well, but it's hard to scroll and read a post on iOS as it can jump back a few days. I don't experience such behavior with Chrome on Android.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 11:59 am

What's going on? My FT desktop layout was perfect yesterday, and now looks wide and stretched out. Also the option to disable Infinite Scroll has disappeared. How do I revert back to the old layout? Strongly dislike this one.

**NVM, I just fixed it! Went here and checked "Never go to mobile skin": https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/prof...ons&styleid=24
IBJoel likes this.

Last edited by iluvdoco; Aug 5, 2023 at 12:08 pm
Old Aug 5, 2023, 7:09 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by IBJoel
I am a user who uses full site on iOS in order to avoids Automatic scroll. The challenge is that when you get to the thread level it is not possible to scroll right and left in order to see all the content and the content gets cut off. I suspect this is do to some hard coded width or something in CSS or something of that nature.
PanAmSam likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 3:14 pm

Why is infinite scroll the default choice on desktop browsers? It's the reason I stopped using this site many years ago .
Old Apr 3, 2024, 5:25 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by show_me_the_points
Why is infinite scroll the default choice on desktop browsers? It's the reason I stopped using this site many years ago .
The infinite scroll is easily disabled by unchecking it under Thread Display Options in My FlyerTalk.
cblaisd likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
The infinite scroll is easily disabled by unchecking it under Thread Display Options in My FlyerTalk.
Yes, I followed those steps and disabled it. But I am curious why this feature was made the default when all it did was drive people like me away from the site for years..
Old Apr 4, 2024, 10:04 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by show_me_the_points
Yes, I followed those steps and disabled it. But I am curious why this feature was made the default when all it did was drive people like me away from the site for years..
Whenever we make changes like that, that no one has specifically asked for, it's usually a business decision that's aimed at keeping FlyerTalk profitable and free for all users.

I understand you don't care for it. Neither do I. But these decisions are based purely on analyitics data, not meant to put anyone off.
show_me_the_points likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post # 415)
Originally Posted by show_me_the_points (Post # 416)
Originally Posted by IBJoel (Post # 417)
Whenever we make changes like that, that no one has specifically asked for, it's usually a business decision that's aimed at keeping FlyerTalk profitable and free for all users.

I understand you don't care for it. Neither do I. But these decisions are based purely on analyitics data, not meant to put anyone off.
For users such as myself, who access FlyerTalk almost exclusively on an Android cell phone, infinite scroll has been a very useful feature indeed.
alex67500 and IBJoel like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.