Infinite / Automatic Scroll: issues, q&a, disable on desktop version

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2017, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
"FT Desktop Infinite Scroll" feature for desktop viewing introduced Jan 2017

NOTE: Selecting the Mobile Skin / display format will activate Infinite Scroll.

Opting out of "FT Desktop Infinte Scroll" skin:
Originally Posted by IBobi
How to opt out:

If you opt out, your pagination will revert to the “classic” FT Desktop View skin when you are logged into your FT account. Bear in mind that if you visit FT before logging in, you will see the infinite scroll.

To opt out, you can see this post or just go to

My FlyerTalk->Edit Options->Thread Display Options->“Disable Desktop Infinite Scroll”

Click the check box and click SAVE CHANGES.

If infinite scroll is set to default style and you keep reverting to infinite scroll:
Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
... Unfortunately since it's set to be the default style, opting out wont work.

So, with that said, you'll need to go into the "My Options" page and both disable infinite scroll and change your default style/skin to FT Desktop ..also don't forget to save!

Hope this helps!

Originally Posted by [B
Spanish[/B];27896638]All you need to do is add "?styleid=17" to the end of any Flyertalk URL.

For those with Greasemonkey, a simple script for you. You no needing to be logged in for this to be effective.

Here you go:

Code:
 // ==UserScript==
 // @name        Flyertalk_Remove_Infinite_Scroll
 // @match       *://*.flyertalk.com/*
 // @run-at      document-start
 // @grant       none
 // ==/UserScript==

var oldUrlPath  = window.location.pathname;

/*--- Test that "?styleid=17" is at end of URL, excepting any "hashes"
 or searches.
 */
 if (window.location.href.toString().indexOf("?styleid=17") != -1) return false;
 if ( ! /\?styleid=17$/.test (oldUrlPath) ) {

var newURL  = window.location.protocol + "//"
 + window.location.host
 + oldUrlPath + "?styleid=17"
 + window.location.search
 + window.location.hash
 ;
 /*-- replace() puts the good page in the history instead of the
 bad page.
 */
 window.location.replace (newURL);
 }
Print Wikipost

Infinite / Automatic Scroll: issues, q&a, disable on desktop version

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2020, 4:26 am

Hasn't worked for me for a couple of days.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 5:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
My scroll just stops and I can’t even enter next page to move forward. Just cannot continue at all. Refresh doesn’t help. iPhone 11 iOS. This is as far as I go in this thread (but happens in all threads). Edit: now that I’ve posted this reply, you can see the posts in between that wouldn’t show. This screenshot was taken when I posted this and was the last visible post.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 6:37 am

Programs: Marriott Platium. Hyatt Globlist. United Member. WN A-list w/CP. Frontier Elite 100K.
Same here

No next page button
Old Oct 18, 2020, 7:23 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by fwfdan
Has there been a change made to scrolling recently? I finally got used to the scrolling past my "40 posts per page" and now it seems that it does not do that any more. I normally go to the last post in the thread and just scroll back from there. Now when I hit the "top" of my current page it stops and I have to click on previous page.
One more here, add me to this list. Notebook, Chrome. Not sure if it’s related but seemed to occur for me immediately after my most recent Windows update about a week ago.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 12:19 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United Platinum Premier, AF/KLM Platinum
Originally Posted by fwfdan
Desktop... using Chrome.

Edited to add: actually both - desktop and mobile with Android.
Exactly the same here. Android phone (Galaxy S9), iPad air 2, desktop, both for chrome and safari.

Biggest downside is that there are no next buttons on the mobile version either, so I can just see the first and last page of a thread.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 12:29 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Thysk
Exactly the same here. Android phone (Galaxy S9), iPad air 2, desktop, both for chrome and safari.

Biggest downside is that there are no next buttons on the mobile version either, so I can just see the first and last page of a thread.
It's not obvious, but if you tap on the numbers in between the << and >> where it says e.g. "23/24" to show you're on page 23 of 24 or whatever, you can type in the number of the next page. This is a horribly cumbersome workaround though, so hopefully either they fix infinite scroll soon, or better yet, nest single-page controls inside the first/last controls, like << < 23/24 > >> so that people who don't want infinite scroll on mobile can have an option too.
IBJoel likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 9:05 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
This is still being worked on, our team just got to it on Friday, so it was cut short before the weekend.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 10:45 am

Desktop and Firefox, just for another datapoint. Infinite scroll doesn't work either forwards OR backwards, but I do have the bar at the bottom with the page navigation options.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 11:02 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by IBJoel
This is still being worked on, our team just got to it on Friday, so it was cut short before the weekend.
Is there any reason the breaking change can't simply be rolled back, to restore the previous functionality, while the fix is being worked on? Then you can re-deploy the original change plus the fix at the same time once you have it.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 12:45 pm
Administrator

Should be fixed now
alex67500 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 3:16 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
I can confirm infinite scroll now works on my mobile. It's still not marking pages as read though. I've tried on 2 threads, if there are more than one page, I need to refresh once on the following pages to mark them as read.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 5:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Zorak
It's not obvious, but if you tap on the numbers in between the << and >> where it says e.g. "23/24" to show you're on page 23 of 24 or whatever, you can type in the number of the next page. This is a horribly cumbersome workaround though, so hopefully either they fix infinite scroll soon, or better yet, nest single-page controls inside the first/last controls, like << < 23/24 > >> so that people who don't want infinite scroll on mobile can have an option too.
Even that doesn’t work for me. Sigh.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Should be fixed now
Working for me on Chromium Edge
Old Oct 20, 2020, 8:28 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by alex67500
I can confirm infinite scroll now works on my mobile. It's still not marking pages as read though. I've tried on 2 threads, if there are more than one page, I need to refresh once on the following pages to mark them as read.
I believe that is cookie/cache-based
Old Oct 20, 2020, 4:53 pm

Just noticed there was a thread dedicated to infinite scroll, so I'll continue the report here instead.

Apostrophes are being rendered into multiple spaces, and it seems to occur more frequently with specific users. It occurs on macOS and Chrome, but not Windows and Chrome. On Firefox, the apostrophes are deleted completely (e.g. That's --> Thats).

To recreate the issue:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31352812-post6.html

Examples:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31748113-post1596.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31519253-post1519.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31600328-post1536.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31604715-post1544.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.