Infinite / Automatic Scroll: issues, q&a, disable on desktop version

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2017, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
"FT Desktop Infinite Scroll" feature for desktop viewing introduced Jan 2017

NOTE: Selecting the Mobile Skin / display format will activate Infinite Scroll.

Opting out of "FT Desktop Infinte Scroll" skin:
Originally Posted by IBobi
How to opt out:

If you opt out, your pagination will revert to the “classic” FT Desktop View skin when you are logged into your FT account. Bear in mind that if you visit FT before logging in, you will see the infinite scroll.

To opt out, you can see this post or just go to

My FlyerTalk->Edit Options->Thread Display Options->“Disable Desktop Infinite Scroll”

Click the check box and click SAVE CHANGES.

If infinite scroll is set to default style and you keep reverting to infinite scroll:
Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
... Unfortunately since it's set to be the default style, opting out wont work.

So, with that said, you'll need to go into the "My Options" page and both disable infinite scroll and change your default style/skin to FT Desktop ..also don't forget to save!

Hope this helps!

Originally Posted by [B
Spanish[/B];27896638]All you need to do is add "?styleid=17" to the end of any Flyertalk URL.

For those with Greasemonkey, a simple script for you. You no needing to be logged in for this to be effective.

Here you go:

Code:
 // ==UserScript==
 // @name        Flyertalk_Remove_Infinite_Scroll
 // @match       *://*.flyertalk.com/*
 // @run-at      document-start
 // @grant       none
 // ==/UserScript==

var oldUrlPath  = window.location.pathname;

/*--- Test that "?styleid=17" is at end of URL, excepting any "hashes"
 or searches.
 */
 if (window.location.href.toString().indexOf("?styleid=17") != -1) return false;
 if ( ! /\?styleid=17$/.test (oldUrlPath) ) {

var newURL  = window.location.protocol + "//"
 + window.location.host
 + oldUrlPath + "?styleid=17"
 + window.location.search
 + window.location.hash
 ;
 /*-- replace() puts the good page in the history instead of the
 bad page.
 */
 window.location.replace (newURL);
 }
Print Wikipost

Infinite / Automatic Scroll: issues, q&a, disable on desktop version

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2020, 10:32 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by mctaste
I have looked but didnt see a way to disable infinite scroll, sorry if it exists.

Infinite scroll really makes getting back to the top of the page annoying. Would be great to have the option to just have the site act like a normal forum in this regard.
We have merged your query into the existing thread. The Wikipost at the top of the page contains useful information, and the first post has illustrations to guide you through disabling infinite scroll.

JDiver, Co-Moderator
Old Jan 22, 2020, 6:45 pm

The issue is apparently that you cannot disable infinite scroll on the mobile view. I like the mobile view just fine other than that.

Any advicr?
Old Jan 22, 2020, 6:49 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
You can use the mobile view, or you can use the desktop view and disable infinite scroll. That's the choice.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 10:43 pm

Why not offer this option on both views? We already have page controls on the mobile view...
altalk08 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 12:15 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Why not offer this option on both views? We already have page controls on the mobile view...
My belief is that no one at IB spends any meaningful amount of time on the FT mobile site as a user, i.e. looking for travel info/discussions, doing searches, and actively participating on a daily or near-daily basis. Or if they do, they don't apparently care about reading the information that has been organized in wikis, or advanced thread searches, or anything else that requires being at the top of a thread.

Because the alternative is that a frequent user of the FT mobile skin puts up with all of this on a daily basis and thinks to themselves "yup, nothing at all wrong with this experience! Great job folks!" and thinks this is awesome UX.
altalk08 and mctaste like this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
My belief is that no one at IB spends any meaningful amount of time on the FT mobile site as a user, i.e. looking for travel info/discussions, doing searches, and actively participating on a daily or near-daily basis. Or if they do, they don't apparently care about reading the information that has been organized in wikis, or advanced thread searches, or anything else that requires being at the top of a thread.

Because the alternative is that a frequent user of the FT mobile skin puts up with all of this on a daily basis and thinks to themselves "yup, nothing at all wrong with this experience! Great job folks!" and thinks this is awesome UX.
Just trying to scroll to the top of a long thread, or back out of one, is awful on mobile...
Old Apr 1, 2020, 5:32 am

Just trying to scroll to the top of a long thread, or back out of one, is awful on mobile...
I second this. Would be nice if one could change that.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 8:09 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by altalk08
I second this. Would be nice if one could change that.
If you just click the double arrows either way at the bottom of the screen, they'll automatically take you to the first or last page.

Or type in the first or last page number at the bottom of the screen, you can navigate there pretty quickly.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by IBJoel
If you just click the double arrows either way at the bottom of the screen, they'll automatically take you to the first or last page.

Or type in the first or last page number at the bottom of the screen, you can navigate there pretty quickly.
Yes, I'm aware of that. It doesn't solve the underlying issue though.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 2:39 pm
Administrator

Yes, I'm aware of that. It doesn't solve the underlying issue though.
What exactly is the underlying issue, then?
Old Apr 1, 2020, 11:53 pm

When on mobile, the (infinite?) scrolling means that as soon as I scroll up and reach a certain "border" (i.e. where the site switches to a new set of posts) I completely lose track of where I started off. Usually this entails that the site jumps over a few posts which I need to scroll down to again.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 6:16 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Mine seems to randomly take me to another page even when I’m not scrolling (just trying to read a post).
Old Apr 2, 2020, 8:28 am
Administrator

When on mobile, the (infinite?) scrolling means that as soon as I scroll up and reach a certain "border" (i.e. where the site switches to a new set of posts) I completely lose track of where I started off. Usually this entails that the site jumps over a few posts which I need to scroll down to again.
I cannot replicate this
Old Apr 2, 2020, 1:07 pm

Programs: QF Gold, FB Plat, Accor Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold – ex-UA 1k, ex-AA Plat, ex IHG Plat
Under the thread display page, I do not see the option to disable infinite scroll anymore. How do I go with disabling it?
Old Apr 2, 2020, 1:39 pm
Administrator

Originally Posted by gdoubleu
Under the thread display page, I do not see the option to disable infinite scroll anymore. How do I go with disabling it?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/prof...do=editoptions

Select "disable infinite scroll". Save at the bottom.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.