Wiki Posts
Search

My Flyertalk showing all threads since 3/1/10

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2010, 7:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
I hate this new feature. Can we have a poll please!
No poll for you! You'll accept the change and you'll like it! Muahhahaahahhahah!!!
Old Mar 21, 2010, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by dhammer53
sbm, If you were to count the likes vs dislikes, I think you'd see a serious majority disliking the change; vs a serious minority liking the change.

dhammer53
Indeed, but that really doesn't seem to matter, does it? The "rest of FT has moved on and adapted to the change" and that "says something" ... what it says, I'm not quite sure. Perhaps it's just the willfully ignorant liars with ludicrous ideas who insist upon dwelling on this non-issue?

Originally Posted by sbm12
The fact that there are really only a handful of people complaining about this change while the rest of FT has moved on and adapted to the change says something, IMO.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by the_happiness_store
If you understand anything about statistical analysis, the paragraph I quoted proves absolutely nothing. The adaptees probably don't care one way or the other so they are a different sample.
Indeed, I do understand statistical sampling quite well. What you are suggesting above is that everyone who dislikes the change dislikes it. Great tautology there.

A true sample of everyone - not just folks posting in here - would likely show a whole bunch who didn't notice, a few who like it and a few who hate it. Such is life, I suppose.

Originally Posted by dhammer53
sbm, If you were to count the likes vs dislikes, I think you'd see a serious majority disliking the change; vs a serious minority liking the change.
Again, my point above was that you aren't going to have an influx of people coming into this forum to talk about how great the change is since they don't see it as an "issue" plus people are significantly more likely to comment when they don't like something, not when they do. There are about 10 folks posting in here how awful a change this is and how it make FT unusable. From a membership base of over 240,000 I'd say that's a pretty solid vote of confidence. And I've read well more positive responses elsewhere on FT than the number of negative votes here. So my equally unrealistic and unreliable system of simply counting the posts I've read actually is in favor of the change. Or maybe it is more realistic and reliable since I'm not only counting votes in the thread set up for people to complain that it is broken.

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
What was your feedback? Did IB listen?
Believe it or not I expressed concerns and reservations, not full-fledged support for the move.

My initial feedback was similar to many of the complaints here, that it would be confusing and that seeing everything as bold would upset some in the community. I also noted that the initial frustration would be outweighed by the long-term benefits that the new system provides in terms of accuracy and consistency.

Did IB listen? I believe so based on the other posts in the thread where it was discussed and based on the PM conversations I've had with a few folks there.

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Uh, don't you think this is a bit harsh? I read the admins posts as well as Randy's can came to the conclusion this was a business decision made by IB.
Yes, it was a decision made by IB. But my comment is still accurate. People - namely moderators - were informed that the change was coming before it happened. I am disputing the claims to the contrary and have posted this statement several times. People who continue to insist otherwise after reading my posts - and they have been read since they're being quoted - are simply not telling the truth anymore.

Sorry if that comes across as harsh, but I get particularly frustrated when people continue to repeat something that is demonstrably false in an effort to support their position. All opinion on whether this is a good change or not aside, claims that no one knew in advance are false.

Originally Posted by Mary2e
All that said, I still like the change, though I did not like the fact that yesterday when I marked a forum read, it marked them ALL read. But it did get rid of stuff in MyFT

I'd like to see that fixed.
I haven't seen this bug crop up at all; I think it might be a user error. When you are in a forum there are two sets of menus. The top set with the "Quick Links" drop down will mark all forums read. The "Thread Tools" link on the row below will only mark the current forum read. I'm guessing you clicked on the wrong one. Simple enough mistake to make.

Originally Posted by sosafan
Saying that it is more accurate is inaccurate. The bolding is telling me something that I don't want to know, and the way that it was done previously told me what I wanted to know.
What about it is inaccurate? Any thread marked bold is one that you have not read.

The behavior is different than it was two weeks ago. That doesn't necessarily mean it is broken.

Originally Posted by sosafan
The "new system" makes it seem that Flyertalk is broken. Since It took me a while to search through "Technical Issues" and find this thread, it has been a frustrating two weeks.
This thread has been one of the top five in the Tech Issues forum for over a week now. What searching were you doing?

IB has made plenty of mistakes in their stewardship of the FT community since they took over. There have been plenty of debacles and other disasters. And I've been on their case every single time those have happened, both representing my own views as well as those of the folks posting in the forums I moderate. In this case I don't think they've screwed up nor made a mistake and I fully support the change. To paraphrase a post I made in the thread where this was discussed with mods, "It has caused a bit of , and amongst the members but the long-term and make up for the short-term ." I still firmly believe this to be the case.

Oh, and to the folks who are upset that I'm not responding immediately to every post here (as I was recently informed by PM to be the case), sorry. I've got other things to do as well.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Indeed, I do understand statistical sampling quite well. What you are suggesting above is that everyone who dislikes the change dislikes it. Great tautology there.
Not even close to what I said.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Not remotely close to what I said.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 11:48 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Count me a someone who very much likes the change.

It better suits the way I read and use FT than the old system.

I especially like that the Subscribed Threads disappear once you've read them rather than just reverting to an "un-bolded" status.

And I like the fact that when I post to a thread that it doesn't show up on my Subscribed Threads list
Old Mar 21, 2010, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.

Again, my point above was that you aren't going to have an influx of people coming into this forum to talk about how great the change is since they don't see it as an "issue" plus people are significantly more likely to comment when they don't like something, not when they do. There are about 10 folks posting in here how awful a change this is and how it make FT unusable. From a membership base of over 240,000 I'd say that's a pretty solid vote of confidence. And I've read well more positive responses elsewhere on FT than the number of negative votes here. So my equally unrealistic and unreliable system of simply counting the posts I've read actually is in favor of the change. Or maybe it is more realistic and reliable since I'm not only counting votes in the thread set up for people to complain that it is broken.

This thread has been one of the top five in the Tech Issues forum for over a week now.

I'll take a wild guess and say there are lots of people that have:

- noticed something is wrong, just can't seem to get their finger on the issue.
- don't have a clue as to where they can vent (their frustration).
- are letting a few posters do their bidding.
- don't care either way

IB, Reset Flyertalk the way it was. @:-)
Old Mar 21, 2010, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA plus
People who continue to insist otherwise after reading my posts - and they have been read since they're being quoted - are simply not telling the truth anymore.
Okay folks ... we were called liars and ignorant, but now we're simply stupid for not bowing down and taking sbm12's word as gospel. EXCUSE ME?

Let me be the first to point out that I don't know sbm12, have no reason to trust sbm12 and think poorly of this poster's attitude in every post that I've seen in this and related threads. Given all that, why would this individual think that someone would actually take their word for granted, especially when someone many of us respect a great deal, ie Randy, has clearly stated otherwise and has done so after completing research. Oh that's right, it's because I'm stupid and arogant
Old Mar 21, 2010, 12:58 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Perhaps all of us could look at this from a different angle.

Some of us like the change; some of us do not. That is obviously clear.

Let’s say a compromise could be reached. What is it about the way FlyerTalk threads are marked as read that you:
  • Like about the former way
  • Do not like about the former way
  • Like about the new way
  • Do not like about the new way
I am not intimately familiar with the technology of the vBulletin bulletin board software that currently powers FlyerTalk, but perhaps a solution could be reached where either a feature could be implemented, or at least have suggestions sent to vBulletin, which Internet Brands now owns, to modify the software for future versions.

What do you think?
Old Mar 21, 2010, 1:38 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
A true sample of everyone - not just folks posting in here - would likely
show a whole bunch who didn't notice
How could they not notice? The thing about the posts here is that they are
from people who care about FT (and/or what it provides). it's "likely" a
sad reality that the ones who aren't posting don't care - not just about this
rather small issue but about FT as a whole.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Canarsie

Let’s say a compromise could be reached. What is it about the way FlyerTalk threads are marked as read that you:
  • Like about the former way
  • Do not like about the former way
  • Like about the new way
  • Do not like about the new way
I am not intimately familiar with the technology of the vBulletin bulletin board software that currently powers FlyerTalk, but perhaps a solution could be reached where either a feature could be implemented, or at least have suggestions sent to vBulletin, which Internet Brands now owns, to modify the software for future versions.

What do you think?
I think its BS that the moderators are suddenly representing FT user as to what they want

I think its cr@p that IB is nowhere to be seen when stuff like this happens and unless that changes, the decline I've seen in the quality of this site will continue. They may get their clicks, but the content will be cr@p

I think that the mods who were called on - in whatever manner, at whatever time - should have been smart to realize that a) they don't represent the user community; b) they use FT in a different manner than the general user community; c) have different reading habits and needs from the user community; and d) as a result, SHOULD HAVE CONSULTED WITH THE USER COMMUNITY and not spoken up for us without any representation whatsoever.

I think the folks mostly speaking positively of the change in this thread are mods, I can only assume in the little, private world that you have for moderators, they are talking about the growing discontent seen in this thread and so reinforcements are being called in.

Oh, and I think its a total and complete waste of our time to represent to a moderator as to what our needs are because you are not appropriate representation for the user community, despite what IB thinks or does. Until IB shows their face, I'm not particularly interested in discussing how to repair it because the half-assed, at best, response would be without any authority or empowerment to actually incur change.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Canarsie

I do not subscribe to threads or utilize My FT. I open certain forums--not always the same ones.

Like about the former way: I used to see threads bolded that were new/revised since the last time I logged in.

Do not like about the former way: Nothing

Like about the new way: Nothing

Do not like about the new way: Threads are bolded to 3 days ago (the time frame has been changing since this new "improvement" was implemented), not to when I last logged in, so I have to check log-in time to know when to quit looking at bolded threads. Also, when I clear cookies or log out, sometimes no threads are bolded, sometimes all of them back to forever are. Marking forums as read resets my log-in time--and why should I have to mark them as read? That's ridiculous.

Bottom line: I HATE this change.

Last edited by linsj; Mar 21, 2010 at 2:35 pm Reason: hit submit too soon
Old Mar 21, 2010, 2:56 pm

Programs: QF WP, LTG, QP on hold
Once I'd worked out how to use this change I've decided I love it. Now I can keep a close eye on one thread without resetting my "last read" for everything.

I think there needs to be a bit more user education about the change - I initially came to this thread to work out what had gone wrong!

Please keep it the way it is!

Audrey
Old Mar 21, 2010, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by falconea
Once I'd worked out how to use this change I've decided I love it. Now I can keep a close eye on one thread without resetting my "last read" for everything.

I think there needs to be a bit more user education about the change - I initially came to this thread to work out what had gone wrong!

Please keep it the way it is!

Audrey
How do you get down to watching ONE thread when all those other threads are showing bolded, particularly the ones you never and have no intention of ever visiting?
Old Mar 21, 2010, 4:03 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by GoingAway
I think its BS that the moderators are suddenly representing FT user as to what they want
Come on, GoingAway — you may have only met me once, but I would like to at least think you know me better than that.

Just because I have the title of Moderator does not mean that I am suddenly representing FlyerTalk. I posted what I did in this thread as a FlyerTalk member, purely and simply — not in my official capacity as a moderator.

I am only attempting to be fair here and see what I can do to help out with this issue, as is typically my nature. That is all.

I really did not expect you to react to what I posted the way you did, nor do I believe I deserve it, but perhaps I misunderstood. However, if you believe communicating to me is a “waste (y)our of time,” so be it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.