Wiki Posts
Search

My Flyertalk showing all threads since 3/1/10

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2010, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by GoingAway
Kiwi Flyer is indicating that the problem is related to IBs release of the Facebook connect tab ... yet another poorly tested implementation
Haven't you figured it out? IB owns the software that drives this board now (as well as many other boards). What better place to beta test their new crap than a place where they own the site?

I've never seen such a big company (one that ironically has the word "Internet" in their title) be so completely amateurish.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by dhammer53
The new problem for today...

>>> the 'back' button doesn't work. I've never had this problem before. If I read a thread in the UA forum, I have to go back to the forum via another entry. When I click the 'back' button, I just go back to the page I was on. I can do that multiple times, and I'm still on the same page.

Note: With all this aggrevation, and now the back button issue, I'm only logging on to Flyertalk twice a day (with maybe an exception or 2).

I wonder if the IB folks can track that. I'm getting worn down by all this aggrevation. Just my 2 cents.

This issue should be fixed. Let me know if there are any further problems.

Thanks!
Old Apr 19, 2010, 6:27 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
OK, so I finally learned to click "mark all forums read," so I can have my old FT experience when I remember to do this--which is only about 10% of the time. But even that doesn't mark them back to the last time I logged in; I'm still seeing bolded threads that go back a couple of hours before then. At least these new "enhancements" are curing my FT addiction; I don't log in as often as I did before.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by linsj
At least these new "enhancements" are curing my FT addiction; I don't log in as often as I did before.
And it's the opposite for me: I've been insanely busy at work, but I've been on FlyerTalk at least five times a week (if not every day) for the last month and a half, whereas with the old system, I would have just not visited at all.

During those times I'm on FT, I take about 15 minutes and poke through threads that look interesting, but I don't read everything, because I know I can always go back to it later. Which brings me to a point: there is still a limit on how long threads stay unread--it appears that a thread will mark itself as read after about 9 days. The oldest thread currently showing in MyFlyerTalk is from April 10, and that increments upward every day. (I've made sure they weren't later replied to or otherwise bumped up--they actually are disappearing.) While it's not as concerning to me, since those are the threads I only have a passing interest in (otherwise, I would have read them immediately), I still would like to catch up on them someday. If it's a hard-coded setting that can't be changed, I understand, and 9 days should be enough to catch up on everything, but ideally, they shouldn't ever disappear until you tell them to.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 5:00 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Originally Posted by linsj
OK, so I finally learned to click "mark all forums read," so I can have my old FT experience
when I remember to do this--which is only about 10% of the time. But even that doesn't
mark them back to the last time I logged in; I'm still seeing bolded threads that go back a
couple of hours before then. At least these new "enhancements" are curing my FT
addiction; I don't log in as often as I did before.
Exactly as I experience things.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by jackal
And it's the opposite for me: I've been insanely busy at work, but I've been on FlyerTalk at least five times a week (if not every day) for the last month and a half, whereas with the old system, I would have just not visited at all.

During those times I'm on FT, I take about 15 minutes and poke through threads that look interesting, but I don't read everything, because I know I can always go back to it later.
I knew that here I would find an answer to my question about why read/unread markings are now behaving differently.

And I have to say that I'm someone who's loving it. If I'd known that this change had been made, I'd probably have come back to FT sooner. One of the big FT turn-offs had always been the automatic reset of all threads to "read" on logout. So I would only look in when I knew I had enough time to read everything I wanted to - and the longer you've been away from FT, the more time that takes.

Now, like jackal, I can dive in and out whenever I have a spare couple of minutes, and I can choose when to mark a forum read instead of having it done automatically for me even when I would prefer not to.

It doesn't solve the problem of the idiot posts which drive me away, but at least this is now one less FT irritation to keep me away when it happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.